As of today, would you get Unibody or Classic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RX64MACBOOKPRO, Jan 30, 2009.

1. RX64MACBOOKPRO macrumors member

RX64MACBOOKPRO

Would you buy a Unibody 2008 and beyond or the Classics of 2003-2008?

and reasons why?

2. Tussen69 macrumors regular

I´ve waited for the 17 inch unibody and placed my order 2009-01-08. I have a classic 17 inch of today but its not as near as solid as the unibody.

The unibody is realy realy solid (as a block) and I carry my 17 inch everyday and the classic gets weared out more and more everyday .. it even have started to make that "old" sqeek you get from old doors ..

I expect to get a realy solid machine that will have to take a lot "beating" because I use it a lot ...

3. GregE macrumors 6502

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unibody; my classic machine's chassis kept warping and bending out of shape despite the fact that I took care of the computer.

5. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

ditto.

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Unibody.

If both had comparable power, then maybe the Classic (though i do like the look of the Unibody and everything) solely because if you dent the Unibody anywhere, then you're looking at the very least a $800 charge to repair it and keep your warranty...

7. hessdesigns macrumors member

Just received my brand-new classic the other day, and I'm loving it. I was able to get upgrades (to the 512 VRAM, 2.5proc, 250gb HD, 4GB ram) that I wouldn't be able to had I purchased the unibody. For me, the budget was the deciding factor...

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unibody has nothing I want that I don't have in my classic. Unless they come out with a unibody 15" with a matte screen (and preferably silver keys and hinge), my next purchase will be another classic.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I bought my classic 15 2.5 for full (well , student) price right around July lol so I'm a bit upset, but I heard the firewire chipset in the unibodies was lame compared to the previous gens. That said, I don't like the unibodies glass screen, and the end to end finish with no edges makes it impossible to use a 3m privacy filter which is a must for idiots on planes, trains , and buses who like to comment on my work. I also have a few fw400 devices and the 20 inch apple cinema display so i'm glad I don't have to shell out for an adapter.

11. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Ideal would be a classic with the unibody's trackpad.

I'm not a fan of the black bezels and keyboards with glossy screens....but the trackpad I want!

12. GMACUK macrumors newbie

I agree. The trackpad is the one thing I do envy on the unibody. I decided to buy a classic with matte screen just after Christmas. Mainly because I travel daily with it and I find the matte screen easier to work with in different lighting conditions. Plus the price made it really good value for money as it came in under £1200 :) But as my girlfriend has the unibody, it means I've got the best of both worlds:)

13. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

15 inch classic with matte screen
    17 inch unibody with matte screen

14. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I've got a uni, and have used MBP's all the way back to a G4 PB. The uni is definitely the best, IMO.

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

+1 for that, I refuse to get a glossy, I do have a pretty accurate 2nd display, but if I'm outside/editing on the move, I'd like to get realistic colours and actually be able to view it (glossy/shiny).

16. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

Anyone that buys from apple is usually looking for the best.

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Classic looks with the support of the unibody frame ;)

18. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

If I didn't receive a 15" unibody free, I would say keep the classic and let the others beta test it. The glossy screen is not outstanding and the classic is a proven model with matte display and FW400 and FW800. I have only experienced seven freezes over the last three months but when can I upgrade to 4GB of RAM and have any confidence in it?

19. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

I'd go with the unibody as well, the design is much cooler and the trackpad really is just the coolest thing ever.
    When I tried it for the first time in the shop it was one of those things where you go "Why didn't they think of this sooner?"

20. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Classic. I have a 30 inch monitor at work and won't get a unibody until the mini Displayport to dual-link DVI adaptor is fixed.

21. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

I'd like the unibody if it had a matte screen.

Both the keyboard and the trackpad are much improved IMHO on the unibody compared to the classic, but that glossy screen just sucks. I can't stand these screens in any lighting other than a very dim room. :(

I *really* hope Apple doesn't keep up this trend especially with all their ACD's.

22. Slash X macrumors newbie

Actually, this has been IMHO a solid version 1 release from Apple. I have the MBP (see sig) and Im impressed so far:

1. No (Santa Rosa) earlier "First key stoke" problems
    2. Not a hint of any build quality issues (construction is the closest I've seen to flawless) of any recent laptop
    3. Solid keys with no usual key flex
    4. Coolest running MBP yet out of any past builds
    5. Even with the screen glare, I am mesmerized by the gorgeous screen. No bleed, no unevenness, crystal clear.
    6. Even the wireless "Airport" card is working great

In a nutshell ---------- No complaints for a Version 1

23. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Well, don't. If you use it for a long time, it is not comfortable at all: you don't know where to rest your thumb. If you put it on the bottom part (as I do), sometimes (= too often) the cursor doesn't do what you would like. If you are used to click with the button then you get some serious ache to your thumb: it's stiff.

From my point of view, the unibody is full of bad ideas, ideas that look good but that are a nightmare in terms of usability: glass, trackpad, weak lid...

24. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

25. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Unibody without a doubt.

Amazing machines and the graphics chip also.

Cheers

ML