ASCPA Animal cruelty commercials.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Orange Furball, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I just saw a commercial from the ASPCA asking for donations. I see them all the time but just paid attention to this one. The animals in these commercials, they just can't be real. I mean obviously they are real, but a few things don't add up

1) why doesn't that camera person help?!?
    2) where do they find these animals to film?

I am an animal lover. I hate all animal cruelty (except if it is needed to survive) so seeing these animals makes me mad, at the ASPCA.

I'm not sure if I am alone here.

The same goes with the commercials for the children in third world countries. The money used to advertise on national television can support thousands. I believe it is around $65 to support about 100 children in Africa per day (at least that's what I remember hearing).

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You're not supposed to ask this question, just go boo-hoo-hoo.

Situational ethics. They need your money. That's all you need to know.

I think you can see where I'm going with this. Give to your local animal shelter instead.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Perhaps you could post a link to one of the commercials that we are discussing?

Are you sure the footage is shot by the ASPCA? Could you not see that getting footage and the word out is a way of helping in some instances? How do you know what the camera person did after they stopped filming?

Again if you posted the videos you are referring to it might shed some light.

Animal cruelty is never needed for you to survive.

For this to hold true you'd have to prove that without the advertising that charities would maintain their a donation rate and be able to help more children.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Real farmers take care of their animals because they pay good money for them and take pride in their work. Corporations just care about turning a profit.

Being from a small rural area myself I try to support local farms by buying meat and milk from ethical farms that I have researched. The animals still get slaughtered of course, but at least they weren't packed in their own **** with 500 other animals hip to hip, I don't really want to eat that meat anyways.

If these videos are just outright abuse on domestic animals I find it sickening.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Attached Files:

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

This reminds me of the photo taken by the photojournalist Kevin Carter. How committed suicide not long after taking the following photo. (there were other photos too, but this one is pretty famous)

[​IMG]

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The ASPCA does undercover investigations and has law enforcement officers who respond to complaints about animal welfare, including inspections and raids.

If it's the Sarah McLachlan "Arms of an Angel" commercials, much of this video is from animals in humane care after they were taken from their owners and other parts from raids or inspections.

So, yes. The animals are real.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I didn't read the entire thread so maybe its been answered but...

1. Generally people will go around undercover and film abused animals so they can prove to the authorities abuse is going on and put the abuser in jail. They can't just up and steal an animal but they can get video and pictures and send it to the property authorities who will act immediately.

There is a lady where I used to live who did that quite successfully. She got a lot of abused animals new homes and the jerks keeping the animals got fines and jail time. (She did this in her own free time too, she wasn't paid by anyone).

2. These animals are found all over. Puppy mills, poorly run farms, animal hoarder houses, etc etc.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I can never watch those commercials, every time the song comes on I have to change the channel. Kinda ruined the McLachlan songs forever as well.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Classic Sam kinison stand up.

12. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

13. malman89 macrumors 68000

Most annoying commercials ever. Long ago learned to tune them out/mute them/change the channel when they come on. They're so bad, it almost makes the situation a joke.

Not that animal cruelty is a joke, but the way they spin it sure is. Every pet we've had over the years (except one dog) has been from the local humane society. We currently have 3 dogs and 4 cats.

14. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

That's it. That's what's wrong with them. The slow motion and the way they drag them on and make you feel like crap for not donating

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I don't like the commercials either, they're obviously manipulative, but I tend to think if you feel like crap, the problem may not be the ASCPA.

I've donated to them and the local Humane Society (and the no-kill cat shelter), and all of my animals have come from the pound or similar service—our youngest dog was adopted from a group that reviews the "kill line" the night before and pulls dogs they think can be adopted.

16. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Oh don't get me wrong, its not that I don't want to help, because I do. I go to my local animal shelter some times (at least once a month, most of the time more) and walk the dogs and play with the cats (believe it or not that is what they want us to do :p ) my family also donates supplies every so often and we adopted a few cats from there. (One of which got pregnant 3 times, and now we have one of hers left. But she died and my friend had a few kittens at a barn and I got one of them) so now I have one adopted cat from a shelter (no one wanted her because she was abused and is afraid of everything that makes a noise) one that was born under my bed (that was an interesting fee months, every night you would hear little meows and then some nursing going on, long story short I learned not to sleep) and the kitten from the barn.

But still, those commercials just make people sad, which they should be, but coming from a comedy to a sad commercial just kills the mood

17. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

All the donation seeking commercials are designed to make you feel like crap. The best thing to do is pick an organization that doesn't advertise on tv and donate to them if you have the means to donate money to charity. And when it comes to animals, adopt one from the shelter if you really want to help. I adopted my dog from the local SPCA and feel no guilt when i see those commercials because i feel that i've done my part to help. Especially with my $275 adoption fee.