Aside from force touch is their any reason to buy 2015 MBP over refurb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mellofello, May 8, 2015.

1. mellofello macrumors 65816

My 2010 MBA is on it's last legs. I don't know if it is a hardware issue or it just cannot handle Yosemite. Time for a new machine. I'm debating getting a 2014 refurb with the 8 gb of ram, or a 2015 machine. There is a $300 difference. I really don't care about force touch, I'm more concerned about having a machine that will last me another 5 years.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 2015 13" rMBP also has a faster CPU, RAM, SSD, GPU and longer battery life.

The force touch trackpad is also a really nice touch. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do.

3. PaulWog Suspended

The 2014 will probably get you about 4 years (if the 2010 MBA got you 5 years).

The 2015 is more likely to get you 5 years, plus better performance, battery life, etc (as mentioned above) right out of the box.

The $300 price-premium is worth it.

If you're really smart with the way you buy Apple products (and can get the educator discount, or a similar discount), you can sell your Macbook each year for about a 20% loss (all taxes in), and get a new one. If you're savvy with Craigslist and don't mind doing that, it means new tech every year for a cost that is about the same as buying new every 5 years (roughly). I've never gotten into that, but I keep up with pricing, and I did sell my Macbook 2011 Macbook Air in 2012 for about a 15% loss (almost on the dot 365 days from purchase).

4. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

I already change out my phone and iPad often. I like to keep my computers a little longer. I was extremely bummed that the new MacBook was $1,300, and 12 inches.

What makes you say that the 2014 will last a shorter period? With 8gb of ram, and a decently fast cpu I hope it stays more relevant than my MBA did.

5. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I bought a 2014 refurb for 1319$ instead of a 2015. I'd rather save 400$ than buy the same spec at 1700$. I ended up with a 3ghz 16gb 256gb config which will safety get me to the end of the decade and beyond. My MBP from 2010 got me this far.

6. windywalks macrumors 6502

I have the late 2013 13" rMBP and its a base model. The 4GB RAM is becoming laughable to the point the memory pressure is notoriously orange.
    This Mac will definitely not give me a good run for the next 4 years.

But seeing as the new rMBP is hardly any different from the 2014 model, the performance and battery life difference is negligible and 8GB of RAM is a standard I'd say go for the older model and do yourself a favour and get AppleCare - not necessarily straight from Apple but eBay as the tend to sell a lot cheaper there.
    I urge you to do that since the display on these things is very prone to defects that make themselves known in the most peculiar of circumstances. I know - I'm on my 3rd one and I curse not purchasing AppleCare since it's already acting up - had a green hue on black background originating from the lower left corner along with image retention that somehow went away after a few days. As for previous LCDs - one had pink mura, the other died after two months and this one is 4 months old and isn't working as it's supposed to as I mentioned earlier.
    I might go ahead and offload it on eBay in the coming weeks since I'm not keen on spending upwards of $600 for a new LCD and rather spend that on a fresh, new one or a refurb with a warranty and possibility of AppleCare.

Either way all the configurations for the 2014 and 2015 are OK to last you a long time as long as you protect yourself from additional costs with AC. Also consider the storage since 128GB isn't all that much.

7. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

I went ahead and ordered a 2014 refurbished. With the 8gb of ram for $975. With 8gb going into the Macbook I think that will be the minimum in the near future. I am still hoping for a lightweight retina MBA at some point so I didn't want to go whole hog on this cycle. Hope I don't regret it.

8. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

I have the 2015 rMBP and love it.

The force touch trackpad is cool, the SSD is blazing fast! I have the 128gb SSD and get superb read/write speeds 1100/748 respectively

Very happy with it.

9. newellj macrumors 601

I just sold a 2013 2.4/8/256 and bought a 2015 2.9/8/512. There were a couple of reasons for this, the trackpad being one of them, but I can tell you that in daily use the speed differences are very hard to see. For the money, you made a good choice.

10. Trogdor796 macrumors regular

Trogdor796

I don't think there is any chance of this happening really. If you configure the MBA's to similar spec(RAM and storage) to match the 12" retina MacBook, the price is pretty similar. The retina MacBook is lighter, thinner, and has a better screen than the Airs, it wouldn't make any sense for them to update the Airs.

They will probably start discontinuing the airs in a few years as they did the non-retina Pro.

11. mellofello, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015

mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

Aside from force touch is their any reason to buy 2015 MBP over refurb?

What will most likely happen is a refresh of the retina pro that brings it down to current air size/weight with 13 inch retina screen. Even if it says pro instead of air on the lid that is the computer I want. For now the retina pro is the closest thing to what I want, a bit bummed about the weight though.

I thought pretty hard about getting the MacBook, but the slow processor, small screen, and steep price of entry steered me away.