Aside from Netflix & Hulu+, Where Else Can We Watch TV Shows/Movies on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Jul 25, 2012.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Quickly put, I've finished all of How I Met Your Mother on Netflix. I'd love to watch the current seasons but considering I've gone iOS only, it's a bit difficult.

Does anyone know of any alternatives? I may be willing to pay, but prefer a streaming service and would rather not deal with iTunes.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Netflix and Hulu+ are the only serious contenders unless you are in the UK in which case there is iPlayer for BBC titles.

Crackle carries titles from Sony and its partners, but selection is limited and rotates monthly. Nevertheless, there is occasionally some good stuff there.

ProTV's content is 99.99% crap, but there are a couple of okay channels if you want news broadcast live. Quality is not great.

VEVO streams high quality music videos.

Slingbox streams anything from your PVR, so you could record shows as they are broadcast and then see them on your mobile device.

I'm not aware of anything else.

3. JSchwartz15 macrumors regular

In Canada the major networks all have apps where you can watch shows for free and believe that is also true in the USA. You can also go to websites like tv-links or 1channel and watch any video with a link to gorillavid.

4. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

^ This + Crackle

5. hbueain macrumors newbie

If you read chinese, there's an app name PPS影音.

Legal, HD contents, downloadable within the app,
    way more, waay more selections than Netflix streaming. (Though everything is either in Chinese or have Chinese subtitles)

The only reason I still pay for Netflix is to watch some American TV shows.

6. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

If you use a VPN (as I do) you can appear to be in the UK and watch all the BBC you want despite being in the US. I use Witopia www.witopia.net which costs about $5 a month. I can recommend it but there are also many other good VPN choices.

7. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I started watching HIMYM last week. I'm now on the 3rd season. That show is HILARIOUS!

8. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

I watched every single HIMYM episode on Netflix. Probably my new favorite show! Then I switched to Free TV on my laptop (no iOS support :( ) to watch this latest season

Just wanted to say awesome show

9. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

I went with HBO go. I canceled my Netflix and I love absolutely love HBO go on the iPad.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you subscribe to Cable TV or sattlite, you can also check with your provider. most of them have apps that will let you stream TV shows and movies.

Or, you could get a slingbox and roll your own witht he slingplayer app.

11. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I have Dish Network's Hopper equipped with the sling adapter (the Dish version). I can watch anything on my iPad or iPhone that I would normally be able to watch on TV in addition to whatever recordings are on the DVR. I haven't tried it via cellular, but it works fine at any wi-fi hotspot.