Ask me anything

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TheyCallMeSaint, May 14, 2011.

1. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

So I've seen a lot of people here discredit any proofs or arguments for Christianity, and claim that any scientists or logical persons should accept atheism (or at least agnosticism). However, I consider myself very intelligent (haha :cool:) and I've looked into a lot of the facts of Christianity before jumping in. And I think there are at least some great arguments for it.

So I've started this thread: ask me any objection to Christianity, and I will do my best to answer it. I think you'll be surprised at how much evidence there is for it.

As always, let's keep this civil. And other Christians, feel free to help me out here.

2. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Okay 2 questions.

1) People claim that being homosexual is against the bible, where exactly does it say this and does it outright say "you can't be gay" or is it implied?
    2) Does the bible say how old the Earth is at writing, where exactly does it say this and does it outright say "the Earth is X years old" or is it implied?

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

3. Why doesn't Christianity (any religion) appear to be able to accept that not everyone is going to see it their way?
    4. Why do the followers of any religion in this case Christianity feel that their faith equates to facts? (Which it does not)
    5. How can a modern Christian feel confident that the moldy old scripts that were converted into the Bible by a theists with an agenda, are ultimately the truth and defacto word of God and not something created by men?
    6. On what basis do Christians (any religion) feel they know what God's intentions and feelings towards us are?

I'll warn you in advance, if you start to quote scripture, you will have lost both the battle and the war. Scriptures can illustrate an example but I've not yet seen an example where they equal proof. BTW, I all ready know the answers to these questions, but knock yourself out. ;)

4. SuperJudge, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Why do most Christians believe in a hell and the Trinity when there is such little Scriptural support for such beliefs?

Why do so many people speak of a "Judeo-Christian" set of beliefs when the Jews and Christians have such varying beliefs when it comes to evangelism, soteriology, Christology, and eschatology?

Why don't more main-line Protestants call out people like Pat Robertson and Terry Jones on their hateful rhetoric?

I realize that these are loaded questions to an extent. I'm just curious as to how you would address them. :)

5. ender land macrumors 6502a

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Hola Saint.

Here's my question.

What are the "facts" of Christianity that convinced you to become a follower of that religion?

7. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Another few

Why do Christians think that Jesus is the son of God?

How about all the contradictions in the bible? (That link is to just a few.)

Why is Christianity the true faith out of all the others?

How about science like evolution and the Big Bang? Is that just wrong (if yes, then why) or does God control it?

If God is benevolent, why doesn't he/she stop all wars and sadness?

Is God a male, female, or genderless?

If we all are made in God's image, why do we all look different?

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

9. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

Why do innocent & very much loved people die too early, and why do *******s keep living long enough to make other lifes miserable?

Why do people pray at churches rather then hospitals. 'Miracles' do happen there on a daily basis.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

For the same reason that I'd love to go to a Christian forum to debate religion.

It's mentally and spiritually challenging.

And it's pretty easy to ignore the belligerent idiots.

I'll try not to be one myself.

11. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

What kind of proof do you have that the bible is not an ancient fantasy book?

12. TheyCallMeSaint thread starter macrumors regular

1) Firstly, (and I know this may be controversial), I don't think it's a sin to be gay -- it's a sin to *act* on it. Some people say that they were created/born gay; just like some people have a natural disposition to anger or lust. It's when you start acting on it that there's a problem.

It says in Leviticus: "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination." It's also strongly implied when God gives Adam Eve, and proclaims that a man and a woman should unite to become one flesh.

2) The Bible doesn't explicitly state the age of the earth, and this is even debated within Christian circles. Some say that the 7 days were figurative (1 day is as a 1000 years to the Lord) and say that it was a metaphor for Evolution. I'm personally a proponent of the Young Earth/Creation theory.

3. I'm not sure where you have this Idea that religions are all-exclusive and super intolerant. Yes, there are certain examples of this, but these don't necessarily correlate with what is taught in Christianity. Because we (Christians) believe that Christianity is true, of course we are going to try to spread it. But I realize that not everyone is going to accept it initially, or at all. It's why Jesus spent his time with the "sinners" of the day; you have to be understanding and a part of a group to be able to show them something.

4. I realize that there are some things in Christianity that have to be taken in faith. However, there are several small and large details in the Bible that have proven to be true (fact). If the Bible can be found accountable for the small details, I think it's reasonable to trust it in the larger details.

5. The Bible is the most reliable ancient text we have. We have over 5000 Greek Manuscripts of the NT, and the OT was proven to be at least 95% accurate with the Dead Sea Scrolls. The Jewish Scribes who copied the Old Testament underwent extremely rigorous procedures to ensure accuracy (used a column system to ensure each character is correct, burned any manuscript with any error, and couldn't copy anything from memory). Mark is estimated to be written less than 30 years after Jesus' death (not enough time for a Legend to be created) and the Creed in 1 Corinthians was written in AD 54 (24 years after Jesus' death). So these evidences show that Bible is reliable and ultimately corroborate Jesus' resurrection.

6. It's hard to answer this question without using Scripture, because Christians believe that God reveals himself through Scripture. The attributes of Jesus and God as shown in the Bible, and how they treat their followers, give us a picture of who God is, and what he feels toward us. This is known as Special revelation (scripture). Through General revelation (nature), we still find evidences of God's attributes such as his holiness (the existence of objective morality) and his power and strength (Kalam Argument -- regardless of big bang or creation, the Universe had to have a beginning. And who started it all? Teleological Argument -- the chances of the Earth's location relative to sun, the strength of gravity, and other laws of physics are so precisely tuned that it could not have happened by accident).

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How come your explanations differ from others?

14. 184550 Guest

Christianity is not a single amorphous blob.

EDIT:

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of different interpretations/ sects/ schisms/ what have you. That's why you have Catholics, Baptists, Southern Baptists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Evangelical Christians etc...

For instance, I don't agree with single thing the OP has presented thus far. I'd be very interested to hear what s/he identifies as.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I guess we just need faith that one of them is right, huh?

16. 184550 Guest

Eh, IMO, faith is ones interpretation of the materials presented. There is no right or wrong.

I could care less if one calls 'God' God, Allah, Yahweh, etc... IMO it's all the same when it comes down to it.

17. TheyCallMeSaint thread starter macrumors regular

There is a fair amount of scriptural support endorsing the doctrine of Hell. It's important to first understand it's origin. There are 4 Greek words translated as "Hell": Sheol, Hades, Tartarus, and Gehenna. The Hell I assume you are talking about is Gehenna, the final eternal judgement of separation from God. Gehenna was the name of the junkyard outside Jerusalem where people threw trash and burned it. This is why Jesus used the word Gehenna: to provide a description of how hell is like.

As for Biblical evidences: 1 Thessalonians describes everlasting destruction outside of God's presence. The Parable in Luke 16 talks about a Man who is tormented after his death. Revelations talks about the Lake of Fire as the ultimate destination for Satan.

It's important to remember that all early Christians were converted from Judaism. Both believe similar things about God and about the Messiah; the difference is that Christians believe Jesus was that Messiah. Now, I've normally heard "Judeo-Christian" used in reference to History (because they share similar history) and ethics (they believe in the same compassionate God). Obviously, if people are grouping Jewish and Christian beliefs about topics such as Christ's deity, it is out of ignorance or contempt.

I haven't heard a lot about Terry Jones, but I can certainly agree with the sentiment about Pat Robertson (and Jones, if he is similar). Jesus always made an effort to accept the "sinners", and never condemned or hated them. It's really important to understand that people like Robertson *don't* represent all Christians, and more Christians should speak out about this.

18. codymac macrumors 6502

Mark 3:22-30
    Jesus, accused of being possessed by an unclean spirit, condemns those who blaspheme against the holy spirit as guilty of unforgivable sin.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why do Christians pick and choose from the bible? They use the bible to prevent gay people from having equal rights, yet Red Lobster still exists and I can go out to the mall and buy clothing with mixed fabrics.

20. TheyCallMeSaint thread starter macrumors regular

While there are many reasons why Jesus is the true son of God, I will go into 2 extremely strong evidences: Prophecy and the Resurrection.

That was written in the OT, likely over a 1000 years before Jesus' life. There are other examples too, check out this link.

Also, there is no explanation of the empty tomb. Not many modern scholars believe that the disciples stole the body, because all of them (excluding John) died for teaching Christ. Why would all the disciples die for what they knew was a lie? If Mary and Co went to the wrong empty tomb, why couldn't the Jews or Romans just point to the correct tomb as evidence? (After all, he was buried in a rich man's tomb that wouldn't be mistaken -- Joseph of Arimethea).

I believe that also explains why Christianity is the true faith of all others.

Most "contradictions" can be explained through: translation, mis-interpretation, or other various discrepancies that are easily absolved. Some people like to point out that one gospel notes 3 women going to the tomb, while another only mentions 1 woman. The answer would be that one gospel was simply more detailed than the other, but the account with 1 woman is still true. Check out this site which explains over 100 of the most important contradictions: http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/bible.htm

I believe the Science of the Big Bang theory is wrong for reasons teleological. As I mentioned above, the Universe is so precise and complex, that the chances of a Big Bang creating intelligent life are so low that it's almost not a possibility. Furthermore, nothing becomes more ordered over time; the entropy of a system always increases over time (See 2nd law of Thermodynamics). Thus, I find it hard to believe that order can come from the chaos of a random explosion.

Still, let us say that the Big Bang theory is true for a moment. The original "ball" of super condensed matter had to have a beginning. And the beginning of the origin of matter can't be explained with Science, pointing to a creator.

There are several reasons for human suffering and evil in the world today, in spite of a benevolent God: First, God offers free will to everybody. Because he can't force anyone to obey his will, people have the freedom to sin. Secondly, some suffering is needed for education to grow. For example, a child touching a hot stove learns not to do it again. When we have the freedom to sin, God can use our sin to bring us closer to him. Lastly, some things are just the effects of the fall of Adam. Sin entered the world, so nature is not perfect -- account for disasters such as Earthquakes or Tsunamis.

I believe God is genderless. Although he is known as God the Father, that really just serves as an indication of his relationship to us -- a Fatherly figure that loves us. God is a spirit (not a physical human), so he doesn't necessarily have a gender.

Created in God's image refers to the Spiritual creation. We all have souls, spirits, reason, and emotional capacity, just like God. Animals don't have these traits that distinguish us from them.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Try telling people that about Islam. :rolleyes:

22. TheyCallMeSaint thread starter macrumors regular

The art of interpreting the Bible is very difficult. However, biblical scholars have divided OT laws into 2 types: political laws, and moral laws. The political laws were for creating a stable society for the Jews (remember; they had no government because it was a theocracy), while the moral laws guided them how to live. The Moral laws apply to us today, while the political ones don't necessarily apply.

For example, when God commanded the Jews not eat certain meats, it was to protect them from diseases that they couldn't effectively prevent during that time.

23. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

That's really convenient, to just selectively interpret some parts of the bible metaphorically and some literally.

And I don't understand why "God's book" would be so full of metaphors.
    Didn't God predict that a large portion of humans would be so dumb to take the "holy book" literally?

24. 184550 Guest

Hey, people are entitled to believe what they want. Even if it's wrong. ;)

25. TheyCallMeSaint thread starter macrumors regular

It's important to keep context when quoting scripture. Jesus had just performed miracles and drove out demons, and the Jews respond by claiming that he is demon-posessed. This obviously doesn't make any sense ("How can Satan drive out Satan?"). Jesus then takes the opportunity to warn against taking things of God, and then rejecting them as things of Satan -- the unforgivable sin. He is not rejecting or condemning anyone; he is pointing out that those who do this have a heart that won't accept God.