ask the FCC to require AT&T unlock all phones as a merger requirement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rritterson, Apr 29, 2011.

1. rritterson macrumors 6502

The FCC has opened the comment period on the AT&T/T-Mobile merger. Personally, I feel allowing the two to merge will likely improve service and network quality for most of us, at the expense of choice, and thus, pricing. We'll pay more, but get a better network, basically. I just asked the FCC to force AT&T to unlock all GSM phones locked to them as a condition of the merger approval, as, once the merger is complete, AT&T has no competitive reason for keeping them locked except to make us pay ridiculous international data and roaming charges, which is anticompetitive and bad for USA consumers.

You can submit your own comment here. Look for docket number 11-65. If enough of us ask the FCC to mandate it, there is a chance it will happen! The FCC takes public consumer comments seriously and have responded to my comments previously.

2. iFiend macrumors 65816

Comment submitted. Excellent idea, excellent find.

Have you been waiting for this to open or did you see it elsewhere?

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Lots of luck with that. AT&T is spending millions in the right places to get the deal approved. Any "conditions" will be so weak that AT&T can simply ignore them.

I find it hard to believe that the FCC cares what we think anyway.

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I submitted my comment as well. Really good find OP thanks for letting me know. Can't stand how Att keeps their iPhones locked down. I have 4.10.01 baseband and it sucks than I cant unlock it without that illegal gevey sim trick :(

5. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I have zero use for an unlocked AT&T phone, but I submitted a comment to ask for it anyway. I doubt it will do any good, but we never know.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Just saying, but: as a general rule, but that's a pretty broad requirement, and I don't think it would stand up. the FCC can make requirements to preserve competition, but since unlocking GSM phones won't help you move your GSM phone to Verizon or Sprint, or even Cricket or US Cellular for that matter, there's not a whole lot of justification, UNLESS the FCC were to mandate unlocking universally, to ALL carriers... AND lock them down to a single standard.

7. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

This deal has a LOT of uphill slogging to go through. I see a wide variety of conditions being attached if the deal even goes through. I have some limited first-hand experience with this with another wireless transaction, the conditions for that were perhaps not very public but they were much more intrusive than I would have thought.

The FCC is probably one of the MORE receptive agencies to public input.

OP, great idea.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Indeed, AT&T will do almost anything to get the deal approved.

So it's quite possible that if the FCC brings up unlocking because of the comments made, AT&T will want the topic to become a non-issue. It wouldn't hurt them very much anyway.

9. rritterson thread starter macrumors 6502

I should have cited my original source, which was this ars technica article that came out this morning.

10. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I also added my comment. Even for those on AT&T currently, it would be nice for international travel.

11. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Why should the FCC care what you want to do with your phone in another country?

Don't forget, everyone is moving to LTE, which uses SIMs, and therefore you could switch to any carrier, so ATT wouldn't like it if you could that. Nor would Verizon. And that will be their argument if this comes up.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Having a SIM card is meaningless. It doesn't prevent the carrier from locking the phone to their network. Just ask any AT&T iPhone owner. ;)

13. ct2k7 macrumors 603

I commented to request that they don't make this a requirement.

14. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Yep. Plus, both Verizon and AT&T have both said they will only sell LTE devices that work on their own network.

How nice of them.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

16. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Eh I would submit a comment, but I do not like the idea of my name and mailing address being posted on that page for anyone to see.

17. wxman2003 Suspended

You should also add AT&T's aquisituon of the ALTEL market that Verizon was required to give up. Thats occuring right now in several parts of the country.