Asking landlord to add an escape clause to my lease

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Jul 21, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is this possible? Essentially, my job is a field engineer and I may have to relocate before lease expires. HOWEVER, I am very open to moving back home to CO.

I want to ask the Landlord if I can add a clause saying
    crazy? or not?

My approach is to see how I could help them and then state my want. I have already have had a friend move to this apartment upon visiting mine. My company is ramping up hiring and would mention I would love to reccomend this place to HR and have them future hires. Is this impossible?

Here is my email this far. How can I achieve my best shot at this? The landlords are nice but it is ran by a management company

2. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Did you already sign a lease? What's the benefit for the landlord?

This is his/her business, after all.....

3. timerollson macrumors 65816

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Doesn't your company general pay the buy out of you lease. most I know when you are relocated will pay for the cost of moving (including the early buy out of the lease)

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

As a landlord myself, I do year-to-year leases only.

As for your situation, I would say the chances of that being added range from 0% to well....0.1%

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yes I did

Benefit would be me having my company recommend them for new hires. When my employer is large and is an engineering firm, it may carry good weight

i know it sounds crazy

only for like 2 months early

is it foolish to ask?

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

They do it for the military. Worth asking and maybe offering to pay a bit more for rent.

8. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, its crazy to ask. If you wanted that clause the time to do it was when you were signing the lease. That clause would essentially make the point of signing a lease for the landlord null. Landlords want you to sign a lease because it guarantees that they will have someone paying for that room/apartment/house for X amount of time; that clause allows you to up and leave at anytime and requires you to only pay a small fraction of the benefit the landlord could have possibly received on the lease contract.

9. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

It is worth a try, but chances are you will get the door slammed in your face. Landlords don't like giving up renters, especially in these times.

10. MTI macrumors 65816

1) Does the existing lease allow for sub-letting?

2) What are the current default terms of the lease? Likely, the lessee is responsbile for rents until a substitute tenant can be found and all listing/broker fees to obtain that tenant.

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The law requires them to do it for the military, but not for just anyone.

Duke, the NY State Tenants' Rights Guide might help. It looks like your best bet, rather than asking to simply be released from the lease, is to offer to find someone who can take over the lease, but that will also require your landlord's approval.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It's doesn't hurt to ask.

However, I doubt that the landlord would be willing to do this since you already signed the lease. Maybe next time you renew, you could mention it them.

One thing that a landlord likes is to fill up their rentals. So if you need/want to move, finding a replacement renter that is willing to sign a lease may persuade the landlord to let you early out of your lease.

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

No. Just don't expect it.

14. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

my lease does not allow subletting yet this makes it seem as if i can. whats the verdict?

15. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I believe you're looking to do more of an assignment than a sublet. A sublet would keep you contractually obligated to the landlord and then would contractually obligated the third party to you. This means that the third party would be paying rent to you and you would in turn pay rent to the landlord. You still maintain a level of liability for the person who is subleasing. In the case of an assignment the new person essentially takes your contract and "stands in your shoes." In this situation the third party is directly connected to the landlord, makes payments to the landlord, etc. You are essentially eliminated from dealings with the landlord.

I'm not sure how the above law applies as I'm not an attorney. What others have been discussing above, from my limited knowledge of the theory of contract law, is essentially an assignment not a sublease.

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

there's no reason to worry about it until you actually need to break your contract. People find ways to weasel out of their commitments all the time and if you actually need to do that at some point, you'll find a way.