Aspiring YouTube Star Shot and Killed: A cautionary tale for those that desire to be internet famous

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I was going to post a flippant comment about Darwin or something but then I read the story. Holy freaking sad! Does the desire to be famous really trump commons sense for some?
Sadly this is the world we live in. It's easy to go the route of the darwin joke. But this is a real problem for a generation growing up with the need for their 15 minutes and then some.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Stupid kids.:mad: Didn't it occur to him to do a trial run before attempting the stunt?:confused: You know, sacrifice another book to see if the bullet will penetrate it completely or not? Cor blimey.:rolleyes:

As an older generation guy, it's easy for me to shake my head and say, "Kids these days." But we (our generation) is partly to blame. We raised them that way (not me, but our generation in general). Anytime my kids did something stupid they get, "Did you mother raise to be stupid?" The answer was invariably, "No Dad, we learn it from you." Ouch! Sarcastic brats.:D Get me some ice for that burn.:p

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party
Stupid kids.:mad: Didn't it occur to him to do a trial run before attempting the stunt?:confused: You know, sacrifice another book to see if the bullet will penetrate it completely or not? Cor blimey.:rolleyes:

As an older generation guy, it's easy for me to shake my head and say, "Kids these days." But we (our generation) is partly to blame. We raised them that way (not me, but our generation in general). Anytime my kids did something stupid they get, "Did you mother raise to be stupid?" The answer was invariably, "No Dad, we learn it from you." Ouch! Sarcastic brats.:D Get me some ice for that burn.:p
I can remember doing an "Evel Kneivel" and jumping my bike over my friends laying on the ground. o_O
Note: Nobody was hurt in the jumps that ensued. ;)

Reactions: BeeGood

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Like others have said, it's easy to say how stupid they were but we've all done stupid things. Most of us live to learn from it.
i think there is a a line between doing "stupid things" vs. taking a Desert Eagle and shooting it at point blank at my husband & father of my children who is only protected by a book ignoring pretty much all basic gun safety.

Perhaps reading more books instead of buying guns to shoot at one might have helped.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
next clown will try it behind a book AND a piece of saran wrap............ morons.
Now, JK.. please don't make me have to say this for you, because we expect better, you should know better by now.

Ahh, to hell with it.. but you owe us one of your nana's damn good recipes!

play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

:D

BL.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I'm trying to think of why she's being charged with manslaughter instead of calling this an accidental (if idiotic) shooting.

Reactions: Rhonindk

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
next clown will try it behind a book AND a piece of saran wrap............ morons.
Another Darwin award... :(
[doublepost=1498761409][/doublepost]
...a cautionary tale for those who want to play with guns in a dangerous manner. :oops: Now what if he had put a steel plate inside the book? :rolleyes:

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm trying to think of why she's being charged with manslaughter instead of calling this an accidental (if idiotic) shooting.
Keeping their options open? If I was to guess, will be a light sentence, maybe even probation. There is an argument that she was convinced this was a safe thing to do.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
They did. its in the article

This is extremely sad, doing this at all is so dumb and senseless but if they were going to do it, why in the world use a dessert eagle with a .50 cal... Any gun would have had the same shock factor for the purposes of making the video. But they decide to use the most powerful gun in the world with bullets made to pierce tanks... Unreal!

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Is every twit on Youtube a star these days? I'm trying very hard to feel sorry for the families of these people but I can't.