Assange Arrested in London

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Apr 11, 2019.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Biggish news today that London police have arrested Julian Assange, and removed him from the Ecuadorean Embassy where he had been holed up since skipping bail in 2012. Apparently Assange wore out his diplomatic welcome in a variety of ways, including failing to keep his room clean.

While US investigators are anxious to talk with Assange over Russia's attempts to influence the 2016 US elections, my guess is that Assange personally won't have much of interest to tell them, since by that time he'd already been holed up in the Embassy for almost four years.

All the same: I can't say I'm sorry seeing Assange finally facing justice. And I doubt we'll hear too much more of Wikileaks in the years ahead, although I suspect it will end up being replaced by something even more dangerous and destructive.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Brought on my favorite tweet ever:

“I love how the writers this season took us back to London and reintroduced to the character Julian Assange from Season 1.”

3. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

Haha, it's been long enough, season 1 was probably quite a long time ago...

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Nor all undecided individuals.

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Long overdue. This man, along with Bradley Manning, facilitated an intelligence dump against the US that endangered the lives of our troops serving overseas. This wasn't some innocent bystander journalist that got a pile of info from a 3rd party. He actively worked to assist Manning in the retrieval of the docs. He deserves to be in jail (Manning does too, but...you know....thanks Obama).

7. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Here's a hint; the US legal system is NOT about justice. The US legal system is solely for rendering decisions of "Not Guilty" or "Guilty".

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

No.

9. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Maybe Julian and Bradley can share a cell.

10. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

In addition, he (and Wikileaks) regularly whined that they were being spied on and having their private information leaked. The irony is palpable.

He also played a role in Russian meddling, Trump may just give the guy a pardon.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

sure hope he does :D

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Well, he did help your guy so I can see that.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Gary J did not even get 5% of the vote.............o_O

14. NT1440, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019

NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Utter ********. The extradition plane has been there since last week. The only charge remaining in the U.K. was skipping bail (all the other nonsense was dismissed years ago) which he did not turn himself in for fear of extradition to the US. Pompeo said long ago (as head of the CIA) that they wanted to get this guy.

People should take pause to consider the onslaught of lies the media used regarding Assange, including the brain dead claim that Manafort met secretly with Assange *in the most heavily surveilled embassy on the planet*.

Dissent is dead, journalism is now just being a stenographer to power. This is revenge for exposing the true nature of empire, period.

I await the onslaught of liberals showing their true colors in their relationship to power.

UN statement on Assange’s arbitrary detention:
    https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=24454

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

took Assange/ and the other two to get some level of transparency........but people rather kill the messenger instead of looking at the message :(

16. NT1440, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019

NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

That’s exactly it.

From 2016:
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ange-wikileaks-arrest-friday-un-investigation

Frankly, you need your head examined if you uncritically believe what the intelligence agencies say about Assange and Wikileaks. Still the only source that has never had to correct the record for lies in their reporting. Speaking truth to power knows no allegiance to any country, which is why Americans simply can’t handle the information that comes out of Wikileaks, it shatters the long held illusion that America is “the good guys” when it comes to world relations. We’re not.

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

So how do you judge the actions and character of Mr. Asante, a pillar of liberty and fair play, or something darker? And how about those really nice Russians?

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Concerned about this.
    What is the different between WikiLeaks and the WaPo publishing the Pentagon PApers?

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

had Assange exposed something on trumps side your tune would be far different...........

20. raqball macrumors 68000

I am on the fence on this one.... If all he did was release material given to him then no foul. If he took any actions to have the information taken then foul...

We don't really know all the facts so I guess I'l stay on the fence for now...

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Same.

22. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Ben Bradlee wasn't helping Daniel Ellsberg try to crack secure logins to retrieve docs in the Pentagon Papers release.

23. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Some people on here like their government corruption and citizen data collecting stealthy, possibly done by Tom Hanks. It’s just unamerican to hold politicians and the military accountable.

24. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

I sadly agree and am pretty disgusted at how much our "betters" get away with. I bet Trump will not pin a medal on Assange however but have him put away for a long time.