Assault weapons not protected by 2nd ammendment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 19, 2018.

1. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yeah that's gonna get struck down by the SCOTUS. What do they define as an "assault weapon"?

2. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

So you're not in favor? What's your issue? The definition of assault weapons. Or the idea that they aren't covered by the 2A

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm trying to find what 45 weapons were banned and what they used to classify any of them as assault weapons. I see mention of "weapons of war" but that's too broad.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

This won't answer your question, but my friend did clarify some things for me

Assault weapons have been banned in MD since 2013 under bill SB281. Luckily it was upheld, however you can still own an AR-15 in MD as long as it's a HBAR (Heavy Barrel) and pass both state/federal background checks and a 7 day waiting period. Also magazines over 10 rounds in capacity are illegal to sell, but not to possess so you can buy them in a neighboring state. Not ideal, but MD takes a stronger stance than most other states.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281f.pdf

5. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

You even tried ammo. This is getting out of control.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

What are you talking about?

7. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

California is more strict and yet we had a terrorist attack. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_San_Bernardino_attack
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2018 ---
    You were questioning ammo when it comes to the 2A in another thread.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So what your saying is the chances of a mass shooting in Maryland with an AR-15 are exactly the same as they were before the law was passed?

9. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

The AR-15 platform is not an assault weapon in terms of technicality. The military M4 carbine has a 3 select system. Single fire, 3 round burst and safety, while the AR-15 only has single and safety. Also only the M4 can have a barrel length under 20 inches. The AR-15 "newer versions" can shoot both .223 Remington and the higher pressured 5.56 NATO round.

10. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Is everyone forgetting about the Virginia tech shooting? 32 deaths with a 9mm Glock and a P22 Walther pistol. Banning AR's are not going to stop anything. Im ok with stronger restrictions but an all out ban is not going to do it. Period.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's still a gun most widely used to take out as many citizens one can in a relative short period of time. I don't own one, but the friends of mine who do have all said the same thing. They'd never use it for home protection and they'd never hunt with it. Outside of sport shooting, killing people seems to be the next best thing it does. I mean I don't know why anyone would argue against the fact, maybe they're cut from the same cloth as those who keep telling me it's not the Pit Bull that's the problem, but the owner. The gun looks cool as **** and is probably a blast to shoot, that's all. I'm not convinced that's a good enough reason to keep it in circulation.

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No. I merely shared the article and my friend's comment. You can fantasize what that means all you want. But no need to create a strawman of what I said.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's not a straw man, it's ironically a fact, however inconvenient it is.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

No, it's most widely used for target shooting, and is marketed as a "modern sporting rifle." I don't think ANY gun's most wide use is to take out citizens.

You may be trying to speak in hyperbole but this post is very irresponsible.

15. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I use my AR for buck. It's a simple google search. AR-15's and 10's are a popular hunting rifle. Just a couple examples.

8731397F-5191-4137-ABAB-EAE25D783097-660x495.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I’m not in favor.

I dont think people understand that the AR-15 is a relatively small caliber rifle and you can get other rifles that are more damaging but don’t happen to look as “militarily”
    hey.....those heavy barrels make allllllll the difference

17. BoxerGT2.5, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Ok, and I have a friend who swears he can go fishing with a shotgun and I've seen people fish with dynamite. Just because some people do it doesn't mean much to me. It still doesn't crack the top 10 hunting rifles. By an overwhelming margin people still use the model 70, 700, and 1984. Maybe the idea for many is those who hunt for sport feel a gun that fires 45rds a minute may take the "sport" out of it. I tend to agree with them. But hey, I say that but it never stopped me from getting 30 extra lives in Contra with the old up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A.
    Has it not been used in 10 mass shootings in the past 5 yrs? Yes it's "marketed as a modern sporting rifle", just like the bump stock was "marketed to help those with strength and dexterity issues enjoy the sport of shooting".

18. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Do you guys/gals really feel the AR-15 platform is a threat to our society? It's America's number one gun in terms of popularity.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm not keeping count. But there are MILLIONS of these in the US. You claim 10 of them have been used in mass shootings, but you also claim - your words, not mine - that they are most widely used to take out as many citizens one can. I claim they are most widely used to shoot targets. I believe the numbers are on my side.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

At this point I'm open to trying to heavily restrict them. Here's my question, say the democrats get their wish and all guns in the US are banned. It's a democrat utopia that could only be eclipsed by single payer healthcare and an equal distribution of all assets amongst the electorate. Now we have 2000 guns/day coming in from Mexico, what now?

21. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

You can build and customize a reliable AR to your liking at a good price. Compared to lets say a Browning or Tikka. It’s becoming very popular to the sport of hunting and they are proven so.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Is it the AR-15 or the Marlin 336 that is the common denominator in all these shootings? Are more people shooting targets with them then killing people, yes otherwise we'd be in quite a bit of a bind. It doesn't change the fact that if someone is hell bent on using a firearm to kill fast and quick it seems to be the one they routinely reach for more times than not.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There are 5 million AR-15's in the US. You claim 10 of them have been used in mass shootings in recent years. That's an incidence rate of 0.0002%. I reject your claim that murderers "routinely" use it to kill masses of people, and I reject your claim they are used "more times than not." That distinction belongs to handguns.

24. Lloydbm41 Suspended

Lloydbm41

By your rationale, we should make Cocaine, Heroine and E legal, because it just comes across the border now. Right?
    More killings by handguns... more mass killings by guns like the AR-15. You should be clear on that distinction.