Assign a color tag to the Windows partition in OS X desktop

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iRock1, Sep 18, 2015.

1. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Hi,

I have the Windows partition right on my OS X desktop. What I want to do is assign it a color tag in Finder.

I already changed the name of that partition from the own Windows environment, however I can't think of any workaround to assign it a color tag on my OS X desktop.

Hopefully I was clear enough...

Any ideas?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

How do you do that?

Unlike the rest of my drive icons which are easily customized, my Windows drive simply displays the default yellow/orange external disk icon (SSD on a DUO PCIe card). I assume it may be due to the NTFS file structure of the drive and I don't have a NTFS write utility installed in OS X.

3. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

From the Finder choose Get Info on the drive, select the icon in the info window and paste a new icon right there.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yeah ... that's what I normally do with any OS X icon. But the Windows icon just "beeps" when I try to paste the new icon. Do you have a NTFS write utility installed on your OS X system?

5. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Ah sorry. You're right, the icon cannot be changed if you can't write to the drive and modify attributes. Too bad OSX can't store the information about other drives on the primary drive.

6. iRock1, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015

iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

So in the end what does this mean? I can't do anything about the original problem? Or is there hope using some NTFS utility?