Assistance on when to purchase a macbook - which do I buy and what about snow leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by the malga, Jul 15, 2009.

1. the malga macrumors newbie

I was considering purchasing a macbook for a while now, and now that the confirmed release "month" for the snow leopard OS is in September, I am unsure on if I should purchase it now or just wait. A few questions that hopefully you all can help me answer:

1. Does Apple come out with another macbook/mac in conjunction to the new OS?

2. I am looking for a macbook that can run a bunch of programs as once; I have a PC now and it does not have a large amount of RAM, I just want something that I can rely on speed wise.

3. Would you say to wait for Snow Leopard to come out or just buy it now?

Thanks for anyone's help in advance!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No.

The MacBook will be more efficient then your PC. You can always buy third party ram.

It's a $10 upgrade if you buy now, if you have no need, you might as well wait, but don't expect a new MacBook to come out then.

Your welcome.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

1. Not normally.

2. Any Mac will do that, there is really no such thing as a budget or low-end, bare minimum Mac.

3. If you buy now, SL is $10 through the up-to-date program.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. Has never happened.
    2. Anything will work.
    3. Now.

5. the malga thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyone's help :D

Just one last question, which do you guys suggest (macbook wise)? Would you suggest a 13", 15" or 17"? Money really isn't a problem, and I just do not want to have this huge bulky macbook if I'm on the go or something (referring to the 17"). Also, would you suggest getting a macbook pro over a macbook? Like what are the differences? Thanks again to everyone, and sorry if this is like in a sticky or something I just got a bunch of questions in my head :cool:

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Compare at apple.com/mac.

8. suekitch macrumors regular

Some things no one can answer for you, ie.:

Will you be using it as a desktop replacement?
    Will you be travelling a lot with it?
    Will you need the extra screen estate of a 17"?

On the other issue though; yes, I'd go for a MacBook Pro over the MacBook if you can afford to. I was in the same position myself and on seeing them side by side in a store my decision was made. The MacBook's screen seemed washed out in comparison to the Pro's. Plus the Pro has Firewire 800 (MacBook has 400), DDR3 Memory (Macbook has DDR2). These differences aren't immense, depending on your usage, but had I got the MacBook I would've always wondered what if ;)

I got the 13" because my highest priority was portability with that purchase.

9. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

If you're doing color-critical work, either get the 15'' or higher MBP or the 13'' with IPS external display. The 13'' has a 6-bit display, where just about everything else is 8-bit.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

But if they buy now, SL is only $10.