"Asymetrical Warfare"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Jan 21, 2010.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Shocking update to the stories of the three men who were alleged to have committed suicide at Gitmo in 2006.
    There's much more at the link that I would recommend you read.

2. 184550 Guest

While the deaths of these men are unfortunate, the neccessity of black sites and institutions like Gitmo are neccessary for national security. The US Military should not have been allowed to engage in the types of activities listed above. The CIA and other elements (perhaps Xe Services) should have been allowed to conduct the interviews and other activities as they can operate without impunity.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So the CIA should be allowed to kill foreigners for no reason?

4. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

The necessity is necessary? How's that any kind of justification, let alone a coherent sentence?

And I'd be quite happy if these folks would operate without impunity. It's that fact that they operate with impunity that gets me.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Me thinks some of those words don't quite mean what you think they mean. Just sayin'.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

7. 184550 Guest

Given that you're all critizing my grammar and word choice, I'll take that to mean that you don't have ideas or thoughts on the matter?

Edit: An extra 'c' in necessity and without should have been with. Any other mistakes you'd like me to correct grammar wise?

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I've made my view fairly clear, I don't think the CIA should be allowed to kidnap nationals of other countries and then kill/torture them without due process.

Just think of the outrage if the Chinese (say) kidnapped US citizens in the Argentina (say) and shipped them back to China for interrogation.

9. 184550 Guest

Given that the US and China are among the most powerful nations in the world at the current time, I doubt that much would seriously result from this. There would be a lot of political grandstanding and threats but in the end things would be taken of.

Although your (say) thing makes me think that something like this may have happened, I can't think of any recent events that sound like this.

10. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Did you read the article I linked? Your response here (now that you've clarified it enough that we can understand it) would seem to indicate that you think the article charges that the US military were the ones who "engaged in the type of activities listed above".

11. ArrowSmith macrumors regular

Let's just dissolve the CIA, save $16 billion. Who needs em? Let's fire up the Peace Department and nominate Dennis Kucinich to head it. I'm sure that'll work. :eek:

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It doesn't have to be China, it could be Russia, or any other country ;).

The closest to it is: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=840683

but a) the Chinese treat their own citizens in exactly the same way, and b) it happened in China.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Last I checked we weren't a terrorist cell blowing up Chinese buildings/plotting terror attacks. If the Americans in the scenario were, I would say good riddance we don't need them back anyways.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fair point if they were guilty of their crimes, but a lot of people in Guantanamo bay aren't actually guilty.

15. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

And what if they were not guilty?

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They wouldn't be held in alpha block for high dollar suspects.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I thought the US believed in innocent until proven guilty.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

For citizens tried in our court. If you go wondering off to Iran unauthorized for some media purpose or try to do some mission in enemy territory without US authorization I say: cya.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you go wandering off to Iran unauthorised and the Iranians catch you - fair game. But what about if the Russians do?

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Like if you wondered into Russia unauthorized? I don't consider them enemies, but I wouldn't be against letting them interrogate the person to see why he was there. Most of the high value targets were picked up in battle zones anyways, those aren't real common place between the major countries.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No, its like the Russians arresting a US citizen in Iran.

What the US has done is arrested Afghani's and people from the Middle East in Afghanistan NOT the USA. Obviously the latter would be perfectly fine.

22. remmy macrumors 6502a

But they were going to be released soon, so they probably were not guilty.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He was arrested at 17, held for 5 years, what could he possibly know that they didn't already get out of him. They captured a boy, tortured him, and killed him.

If you guys can't see anything wrong with this then you are just sick. These types of events make me ashamed to be an American. :mad:

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

12. Corrections. There is no need to point out another poster's spelling or grammatical errors unless you think it is causing confusion. Remember that not all members are native English speakers. Communication, not correctness, is our goal. Examples: Don't correct members who spell Mac in all caps or who call the iPod touch an iTouch.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

Just point that out next time. Use the report button, too.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

17 isn't a boy if you are out trying to kill innocent civilians, one of the only ways that he would be considered a high value prisoner. You are taking the word of one guy over the US military, there is no way in hell they would have shipped a body back in that condition if they were doing a cover up.