At 92, a Bandit to Hollywood but a Hero to Soldiers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Apr 27, 2012.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Great story!

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

Funny that they allow bootlegged DVDs to be sold on us military installations in Iraq and Afghanistan, and right outside bases in places like Korea.

3. iJohnHenry, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What's your point?

Hy, you da man!!! :cool:

EDIT: Ralph forgot a link, which includes some pics of Hy's set-up. :)

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

That the government has declared this practice illegal, but let's it happen in mass on military bases. The hypocrisy.

How could that possibly not be clear to you? Or are you just baiting like usual?

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And you are tossing out sour grapes, as usual.

6. eric/ Guest

eric/

:rolleyes:

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The man did not "sell" anything. He gave them away. Read the article.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

I did read the article. It's still illegal. How you could possibly not see how that this man shipping thousands of bootleg DVDs to soldiers overseas is related to bootleggers being allowed to sell such DVDs on base with government knowledge, despite the fact that it is illegal is just incomprehensible.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It may be to you, but others of us have no trouble comprehending the fact.

Perhaps you mean unconscionable, or more likely inconsolable? :p

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What are you saying? He didn't sell them, and based on what the article said, those DVDs weren't sold, either. They were delivered to Chaplains because Chaplains wouldn't sell them.

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

I'm saying that it is still illegal, and that if the government was serious about anti-piracy laws they would shut this down, and discontinue allowing people to sell bootleg DVDs on military installations as well.

Just because I'm starting to get the feeling people aren't understanding this for some reason I'm talking about two separate, but related illegal acts that the government is turning a blind eye to. The first being this man giving away bootleg DVDs, the second is individuals setting up businesses on American bases in theater and selling bootleg DVDs.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If I remember correctly, American military bases in Iraq/Afghanistan are not considered sovereign U.S. soil, therefore not all the same laws apply. From what I understand of the situation, the vendors who are selling DVDs are not violating the laws of their country, so it is difficult to get them to stop business on the base.

As far as selling them outside bases in Korea, well, that is Korean soil and an issue for the Korean government to take up with the Koreans selling them.

13. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well, the bases may not be us soil, but purchasing the DVDs is still illegal. I think it should be completely legal. But I just find it interesting that the us government doesn't really care while overseas, but they'll be damned to hell if some punk 13 year old girl is gonna download the latest justin beider cd get away with it here in the US.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Overseas there are bigger issues to deal with. Not saying it is right, just saying that with limited resources to go after and prosecute cases, you need to make priorities.

15. eric/ Guest

eric/

How difficult is it to disallow people from selling those DVDs in constructed shops on US military installations?

All they have to do is just say "no you can't sell those here" and it's done.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Excuse me, but this thread is about an altruistic operation, by a sweet old man, in support of your troops over-seas.

17. Shrink, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

This^^^^

I'm usually one of those stiff-necked *******s who self righteously gets on my high horse (did I miss any clichés?) about moral and ethical issues.

But this one is different. As iJohn said, this is just a nice old guy trying to do something nice for the kids overseas. He's not making any money on it (yes, the studios are losing money), and I'm willing to bend my stiff neck and say it is a generous and charitable behavior.

Give that studios being pirated a tax write off for a charitable contribution...:rolleyes: :D

18. eric/ Guest

eric/

And I commented on how DVD piracy is rampant on overseas US military bases. Which is directly related to this very thread.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm not even willing to grant that statement any credibility.

Sure, they might purchase one of two movies, after deployment, but they may also do that because they liked Hy's DVD.

I doubt most have money to throw about over there.

Only in that DVDs are involved, not the intent, or the result.

And if you think about it, he actually contributes to the fight against on-base sale of DVDs.

20. eric/ Guest

eric/

I never claimed them to be the same. Only that it's interesting that the government allows it.

In some sense, yeah probably.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

22. ender land macrumors 6502a