At 98, Gay Concentration Camp Survivor Shares Story

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Andeavor, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Speaking of teaching gay history:
    For the full two-page article go to:
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,772667,00.html

2. 184550 Guest

Perhaps in Germany but in any class I took at University that dealt with World War II and Nazi Concentration Camps, the subject of homosexuals in the camps was always touched on.

Hell, remembering back to High School history classes, that subject was mentioned.

3. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

WTF? :eek: It is taught in schools. I doubt any education system deals with the Third Reich more than Germany's.

4. 184550 Guest

It was a flippant statement poking fun at their opening line.

IMO, Der Spiegel made a very broad and baseless statement.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

This is true. Some of my relatives chose to immigrate to germany instead of the US, my german cousins tell me that they have a lot of focus on Third Reich education, and they don't gloss over any facts.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

t is now. But for a long time it was not.

7. MacHamster68, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

for a long time not:confused: i am German and i did learn about it in school , i had to listen it over and over again in school and that was already 30 years ago , the only thing missing in class was that we didn't have to learn every name of every person in the concentration camps
    and i have to say really you can only produce a certain amount of guilt in humans until it gets annoying at best and turns into the opposite at worst , my generation had absolute nothing to do with it , my parents generation had nothing to do with it , and my grandparents didn't even join the NSDAP , neither did they join the HJ or BDM , their mistake as they had no chance to make career in their jobs , they got mobbed at job and in the village they grew up

and the we make you feel guilt for the next 1000 generations did not work well with me , as i believe you cant feel guilt for something you never had been involved with , you can accept it as a fact and thats it , a simple fact
    i never put a gay in a concetration camp, neither a gypsy or people with different political interests or a jew , and the later did learn well form the third Reich if i look direction palastine

i am against any form of crimes against believes or sexual orientation ...
    invading , occupying other nations is a crime too and can never be justified
    other by means of some misguided propaganda

how guilty are the US americans feel about the near eradication of native american indians , reservates are nothing else as a early form of a concetration camp , how guilty do they feel about the enslavement of the african people ? i mean the black people of the USA got voting rights in 1965 !!
    most dont want to hear about it any more because its history , either you learn from it or not

8. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I think it is a very good idea to educate about such issues to show the youth about what horror and twisted ideas are and what they lead to. I'm not going to lie, I like the Nazi story a lot, their uniforms, planes, the parades, but their ideals and morals are sickening.

I think the young german people should learn about their ancestors and what they did, hell, even I like a lot to read about the second world war.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I expect you are familiar with and understand the history of Fascism in Portugal and what some Portuguese (possibly including some of your ancestors) did.We all need to be on guard against the possibility of this crap happening again.

10. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I know my history well. Our history may have been rough, but nothing compared to the German Fascism.

You are right about us having to be alert.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

11. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

they do learn about it in Germany every year again and again , until nobody wants to listen any more

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Well I can't recall ever hearing about it, and I wen't to school in a relatively liberal area.

I actually wasn't aware of it until just now.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm pretty sure you're not alone either.

14. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Can't say I blame them ;)

15. Shrink, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Cute.

Let's just forget about one of the most horrific and heinous crimes in human history.

Sorry - I guess I'm too old to be able to joke or make clever (wink, wink) comments about the Holocaust