At a minimum what is the next iPhone going to need to compete in June 2011?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JD914, Jan 7, 2011.

1. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Once again the bar was raised at CES with the release of the next generation super devices. IMO Apple will have to do some serious catching up for it's next iPhone release.

My opinion is that at a minimum this is what I feel the next iPhone should have:

Complete iOS revamp
    Dual core processor
    Decent notification system
    Larger screen

There's tons more to improve upon but this is where IMO Apple should begin.

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Complete iOS revamp - Maybe 4.3? Doubt a complete overhaul/revamp
    Dual core processor - Nope
    Decent notification system - Maybe (would be nice though. Depends on the 1st item)
    Larger screen - I'm going to say absolutely no based on Steve's previous comments about large screen phones

I'm assuming some moderate updates/upgrades (primarily to the hardware) for the next iPhone. I got a gut feeling we'll finally see the 64GB model role out.

3. iPadztr macrumors 6502

I would agree with iOS revamp w/ widgets or semi widgets if you want to call them that... otherwise, HELLO (M)Atrix

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's funny, because I only think 1 of those is a sure things (notification system) and one other is possible (dual core) but certainly not a sure thing.

The other 2 I find downright unlikely.

5. JeffLebowski41 macrumors regular

6. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I would be surprised if the new ipad/iphone did not feature a dual-core processor.
    Possibly with an implimentation of GCD?

7. tritonj macrumors 6502a

not a killer feature by any stretch but i'd love for you to finally be able to close an sms message from the notification window, i hate having to go into the app every time there is a notification from the lock screen about a new message

8. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Speeding up the processor will eat up battery life, unless they go dual core, and Apple will not give us a new iphone with worse battery life, so I'd say that dual core A9 or whatever it's called is a sure thing.

What's with all the people thinking Apple will make hardly any changes? Especially considering the intense competition?

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I'd say dual core processor, bigger battery (atrix has 1900mah while iPhone has 1500mah I belive), 1080p video camera, revamped notifications, hspa+ (21mb), 64gb storage, a doc with HDMI out, improved antena, and 1gb ram. I think that about covers it. Oh, 720p FaceTime.

10. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I think were going to see big improvements in iOS 5. From the notification system to the maps and I think were even going to get a voice integrated system similar to Android.

I think we could see dual core processor since they save on battery life, and I don't think the next iPhone getting a bigger screen

11. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

see bold.

12. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

A9 Dual core IMPROVES battery life.

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Agree with your points except dual core, it will actually improve battery life not diminish it, and that's something apple really focuses on.

14. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Jinx!:D

15. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

You might be right on that one, but I just don't see Apple going something so new so soon. Maybe iphone 6, but I just don't see iphone 5 sporting dual core. Look at things like copy n paste, flash cam light, higher pixel count. One could also argue that it saves more battery life by installing an LED notification light so you don't waste battery by turning on your phone to check if you have anything new. You need to be thinking Apple logic, not regular logic.

16. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

It needs an Apple logo on it. They could sell polished turds with an Apple logo on it and people would stand in line for one.

17. Weiser878 macrumors regular

I would not have the iPhone 4 I have now if it weren't jailbroken.

Come this summer, if the new iPhone doesn't have a larger screen (and hopefully be bigger overall) then HTC Inspire here I come.

18. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Nothing crazy.....its going to be a pattern like the 3g was. 3g.....3gs......4......4s or something. Minor speed bump......a few tweaks to the OS.....and call it a day.

Apple should include a notification light of some sort.

19. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

the iPhone hardware needs aoled and maybe a larger camera sensor and that's about all I want

I'm happy with a phone I can slide in and out of my jeans, a larger form factor is pure fail

20. gsrbob macrumors member

21. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

I'd say it already competes. Runs buttery smooth and still takes photo/video better than most the phones out there. Bigger storage capacity, just for the hell of it and maybe a new notification system to appease the masses and it's done.

22. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Only things I really care about are notification system,hspa+ and a dashboard like lock-screen. I would really love to be able to see my upcoming events on the lock-screen without having to jailbreak. Other than that I'm very happy using the iPhone for business and personal.

The screen size is a issue I think apple will address but not with the next release. The only reason that I see them going to a larger screen is the perception from a buyers point. I love the form and size of the the iP4 but if were as large as a EVO or droid x I probably wouldn't upgrade until I was forced to by hardware/software restrictions.

As apps get bigger storage will be addressed, also RAM. Right now for me 512 does very well at handing everything. Dual core I don't see happening until 2012 but I could be wrong. It's not very appleish though.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Remind me to never borrow your phone ;)

24. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Lol appease the masses? Maybe the masses of macrumors. I bet if you asked regular Joe schmoe about the iphone notification system needing improvement...he'd say "whats wrong with it?"

25. felch macrumors member

Horizontal orientation lock, better battery life, easier to grip without a case and a bigger screen at the same resolution. Atleast 3.7" so that typing in horizon mode doesnt block 98% of the screen.