AT computers... UK mac reseller/repair center.... bunch of jokers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by otispunkmeyer, Aug 16, 2008.

1. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

i wont be using this lot again

they've had my MBP for over 6 weeks now.

when i first rang they admitted to not even looking at it for two weeks!

second time i rang i was told the screen was fixed, just waiting on replacement keyboard and that it'd be ready soon

third time, still waiting on the KB, should be done by friday (8th aug)

rang on the 8th... nope not ready, try next friday

i ring, and now it transpires that 1) the MBP has actually been shipped to their Tewskbury center. 2) the screen isnt infact fixed at all, infact they only orderd the new screen from apple on the 13th, 3 days ago. 3) the KB also isnt fixed as theyre waiting on that part.

so im really annoyed, they've basically sat on their thumbs for over 5 weeks and fed me BS about the repair progress.

flat out avoid these jokers.

ill probably be out another 6 weeks waiting on that screen from apple, i know theyre not the quickest at dispatching...well anything really. good job i dont have to have my machine at the moment.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Maybe you should ask for the computer back now, and take your business elsewhere.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I say give 'em a good poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Well, at least weigh your other options.

4. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

have a look at their consumer policy if its on a website - there should be something in it about repair times etc. see if you can get money off for time wasting as 6 weeks is along time!

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry this isn't a helpful post but you know...

There's sixteen real Apple stores throughout the UK including two in Manchester and one in London... Yet some users don't take advantage of them, then they complain about lousy third-party service.

I'm curious folks, doesn't Apple UK send you shipping boxes for repairs should you want Apple to repair your system? What was you thinking when you decided to ask a third party to repair your machine? Was you thinking about saving money or saving time?

I hope you learnt something from this, perhaps next time you might consider using an official Apple Service centre, at least they'll be prompt with your hardware even if the cost night be a little higher.. It's called paying for service.

6. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

i think the company he is talking about *are* a licensed reseller/service centre.

apple rip the arse out of repairs if you are out of warranty - if the OP is in warranty yes he should have gone to apple, if not a service centre is a step above DIY - well, normally!

7. otispunkmeyer thread starter macrumors 6502

they are licensed yes and sorry to the other poster (UltraNEO) but going to an actual apple store is out of the question where i live. it'd take the best part of a day to get to the nearest apple store and back which is a long way to go when you have to go more than once. Also the apple rep i spoke with on the phone (i have the 3yr apple care and rang them) was the person who suggested to me to take my machine there. from that i inferred that apple do no such thing as send you pre-paid boxes to ship your machine away for repair here in the UK. (or if they do u need to have a credit card, which i dont)

i eventually got my machine back but then immediately had new problems.... the fans were stuck completely on 6000rpm. the KB backlighting wasnt actually fixed and some how the battery lost 20% health in 19 cycles.

so i took it straight back. i know i shouldnt have taken it there again, but i dont really have much choice. i think the next nearest place with a certified apple service center is scarborough and that will take eons on the train due to its location. Newcastle is at least relatively quick to get to , it being a city an all.

8. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

dude that sucks! i know that apple should send boxes out :) ask them and tell them the sorry story about the licensed guys! i just had my xbox 360 picked up by ups to get that fixed :)

K

9. cunardferguson macrumors newbie

Wished I'd read this earlier

Took an imac 20" 2.4 GHZ with 4 GB of ram to AT Comp told me it was the logic board replaced said logic board drove back to newcastle (its an 80 mile round trip) brought beloved imac home and hey presto.... same problem, drove back to AT Comps, I rang later and they said it was another faulty logic board will reorder and fix the problem, got a call a few days later to say it was repaired would i come and collect, great np sat in AT comp waiting for my imac to arrive...oh dear it seems that there is a problem will have to re-diagnose, drove back home macless again...oh well, in the mean time i bought a brand new mac mini while the imac was being repaired. AT comps offered to upgrade to 4GB ram at price of ram, I (foolishly) agreed and would wait until imac was repaired another logic board and a new hard drive and other "bits" and they would do it at the same time as I picked up the imac. Great saved another journey (oh how wrong i was).... picked up the imac and had the mini maxed out., drove home plugged in mac mini............ nothing... not even power oh well at least the imac is fixed......NOT!!! same problem now imac is showing only 2 GB of ram and they couldn't even be bothered to replace the ram cover, of course its a bank holiday w/end, drove back to ATcomps on the tues returning both apple computers no sign of the techs (on a field job) they would ring me as soon as they get back in, by 1.30 no call rang to find out what was happening said just cracking open the case could i ring back in an hour. Rang at 3pm (thought i'd give them a bit longer) to be greeted with "if people didn't keep ringing we would get the job done a lot quicker we will ring you when its ready" waited till 5pm no call from them (very unlike them...not) rang them again gave me some excuse that it was faulty ram (why ram would stop a mac powering up i don't know but they are the experts) anyway said the mini was fixed and apple would replace the imac "hooray" mini would be dispatched the next day and i would receive it thurs (today) true to their word mini arrived at 10.30 great all is well .....except the top cover is scratched to hell, think Shearer has been playing keepy up, and the 1GB of ram they have taken out has not been returned. So all in all it has been a very interesting 4 weeks and like the title says I wished to hell Id read this thread earlier. (at the time of this posting AT comps have not returned my call regarding the scratched mini)

10. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

16 stores isn't universal coverage, or anywhere near it. Travel time to an Apple Store can be well upwards of an hour one-way - for example, I have to travel from Oxford to Birmimgham, totalling an hour and a half each direction. Add in the fact that you have to do it for drop-off and pickup, and it is a real pain.

Apple don't seem to want to send out boxes or engineers any more (unlike 2004), as they feel this retail presence is enough. Now, third party resellers and service centres are supposed to fill in the gap, but the service isn't consistent by any means and since they're not Apple, it can be harder to deal with serious issues effectively.

11. Sareth macrumors member

So glad it's only five minutes to the Trafford Centre.

12. raymondso macrumors member

raymondso

Maybe you can go to the Apple Store in Milton Keynes, that's closer to Oxford. :)

13. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Lacking a car at the moment, and MK is really badly serviced by public transport from here (hour and a half on a bus? no thanks!) So Birmingham is the same distance basically.

Luckily, Oxford is now serviced by a reasonable reseller, Western. Whilst they don't always have stuff in stock, they don't take long to get it in and their service is pretty fast/good.