iPad Pro At first I hated the new keyboard case, but now I'm using it differently & it seems to work better!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nrwrit3r, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Nrwrit3r, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Edit: Just for clarification - when I use iPad without full keyboard (as tablet/drawing), instead of folding back the cover where I feel the keys on my hand, I remove the iPad (easy due to magnetic clasps) and use it naked. For me, keyboard case functions as a sleeve for iPad or a keyboard. I did just order a new keyboard on Amazon to compare the Apple keyboard case experience to folio + external (portable) keyboard.

----

I’m on my second day with the 12.9” and am loving it!! At first I was nervous because I was coming from a 10.5” and felt the iPad + keyboard case was too heavy. I was also annoyed that the keys were facing outwards when the case was folded behind the iPad.

But then I realized I could easily take the iPad out of its keyboard folio and use it naked. The pencil stays secured to the side, and I keep the keyboard folio “folded” - it acts like a magnetic sleeve for the iPad. if I need the keyboard it’s there, but it’s also near me as a kind of sleeve/case. When I take the iPad out of the folio, I do so without opening the entire folio (just slip it out, starting with the camera area first).

Now that I regularly use the iPad + pencil without the keyboard attached, the iPad is so much lighter. The size of 12.9” allows me to draw in any seated position (couch, bed, desk), unlike the form factor of the 10.5” which doesn’t have enough screen real estate to rest my wrist.

I wonder if Apple created the keyboard folio intentionally, to design the experience so you are forced to take the iPad out of its case. Even if they didn’t, I’m finding it’s a great way to use the iPad!! Convincing me significantly more to stay with the 12.9 instead of moving to the 11 (at first was concerned with weight of keyboard case, but now that I use iPad naked, it’s only in the case when I’m storing it or typing, like this post).

2. CjonesHouston macrumors 65816

CjonesHouston

Yep. I think the new ASK is pretty neat. It’s not so sloppy as the last keyboard. I like the two positions it gives you for typing. I do miss the fold back into a stand option. I used that a lot. When I take it out of the New ASK. It feels real good in the hands. Then I put it right back in the ASK when I’m done. You really don’t need to buy a extra case now. I did buy a knock off Smart Cover from Amazon. With a magnetic back. It works great too.

3. JD2015 macrumors 6502a

Loving the form factor and use of the ASK. By no means is it perfect but i prefer typing it on it to the MacBook keyboards.

4. LibbyLA macrumors 6502

I’m getting used to the new case, too. I frequently move my iPad between upstairs and downstairs and I don’t close it to do so. The new ASK is rigid on the entire bottom part so it’s a lot more stable when carrying the iPad open than the older ASK is. There have been times that the iPad has flopped forward when I’ve been carrying it, the two I have with the older style ASK.

I’m not fond of the basic gray, am hoping that there will be skins for the folio. I’m adjusting to the new way of opening and closing the folio. This new combo feels a lot sturdier.

5. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

I played with it at the store for about 15 minutes today. I was surprised how much I enjoyed typing on it. And I like the two tilt positions.

But I couldn’t get past the keys on the back thing when folded back, and don’t was to have to take it in and out of the case any time I want to use the only the screen.

I’ll get a regular cover and a BT keyboard if it seems necessary.

6. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Overall, I give this new case a thumbs up. The only downside is the keys on back when holding it, which really is weird. I’m not sure I’m going to want to pop it out all the time.

I’m not sure when I would ever use the straight up and down tilt position. The more relaxed tilt position seems to be about the angle of the previous ASK.

7. cornerexit macrumors 6502

I've always used the smart cover w/ the case, whatever Apple calls that back portion, I forget. Like others I'd often fold it back for viewing, typing, etc. I’ve got to agree with the OP, I really like this keyboard. Folding the keyboard behind and holding it is just a big nothing burger to me. Just adjust grip. Like anything new, just takes some adjustment. I type often on the couch or in bed with the pad sitting on my lap and I use the rear position on this new keyboard and it doesn’t fall over. Compared to using the screen keyboard, this is way better and I’m glad I bought it. I’ve used the 12.9 since the day it was released by Apple and I’d say this new pad is the biggest improvement since the original iPad came out. Fast, seamless. Need a few more days to complete my Pepsi challenge (I made my own thread) as I want to use it over the weekend and haven’t had much time on it since I got it yesterday. Loving it so far. Keyboard is a big thumbs up for me.

8. Nrwrit3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh sorry, I edited my post for clarity - I find it easiest not to fold back the cover and feel the keys, but rather to remove the iPad (easy due to magnetic clasps) and use it naked when in tablet form/drawing on it.

9. Macalway macrumors 68030

Well, I like your post (if I could understand exactly what you are talking about :D ). The KBC is probably a love/hate thing.

But this part is most likely not true. I think Apple wants you to buy stuff. Once you do, you're on your own ;)

10. WickedPorter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

Similar to OP ... I use it as a case for protection when not in use and a keyboard when I need it. It’s so easy to remove... really enjoying the new design too, very well balanced, easy to hold.

11. muzzy996 macrumors 6502

The degree of alignment displayed thus far in this thread is why the design is the way it is. When the time comes for me to upgrade from 2nd gen to 3rd or beyond I'll likely adjust too but I do recognize that there are compromises to do so. I will miss being able to prop the iPad up in landscape with nothing protruding in front and minimal desk space being taken up by it all (about 4.25 inches).

12. Nrwrit3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah! Once you take off the case it becomes a whole other device. When i got the case and realized how easy it is to remove, I wondered if this design was intended? Better than having a separate sleeve and keyboard i think. I am curious to try the keyboard i ordered though..it allows me to type with iPad vertical, which would be great for annotating academic articles!

13. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

I bought both the Keyboard Case, in fact I am typing this on it. I also bought the regular case so I could run them through their paces for a week and see which I gravitate to. So far, I am finding the Keyboard Case much better than the 10.5 inch version. That bump and origami fold always drove me nuts. The keyboard on the back is not what I am typically used to, I have owned pretty much ever version of the iPad and am used to one thing for years. I am confident I will get used to it, and that’s why I bought both. I do also with there was another fold so the rare times I take a photo I don’t have to hold the whole case fully open. That is also something I am sure I will get used to, I have become accustomed to that fold as well.

14. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I went through three of the keyboards on my last iPad Pro. They would just randomly stop working, forcing a reset of the entire iPad to get them working again. Apple replaced all three for me but still was annoying. I hope this one is more durable than the last series.