Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Nermal said:
What, exactly, am I looking at? :confused:

It's an index of all tabs currently open in the browser window. And yeah, seems like it could be a handy feature. Did Microsoft come up with this on their own?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I just open each website in it's own browser window and use Expose to display all the thumbnails.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I don't ever have that many pages open to worry about it :eek:

Just MR

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

satans_banjo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
SE London
RJP31484 said:
Ummm.. we already have something better than this... the F10 key (expose)

apparently longhorn's stealing that

so what can we steal?
  • crashing?
  • blue screen of death?
  • horrible, soul-destroying ugliness?
  • badly thought-out file structures?
  • patch after patch without the thought of a redesign?

no... we're better sticking with what we've got

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
All ready thought of a way to improve it. Insted of having them all a fixed size why don't they make it so all the windows are shown as big as they could be on one page? Mabey a on and off option of that? Sorta like expose but not exactly.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
satans_banjo said:
apparently longhorn's stealing that

so what can we steal?
  • crashing?
  • blue screen of death?
  • horrible, soul-destroying ugliness?
  • badly thought-out file structures?
  • patch after patch without the thought of a redesign?

no... we're better sticking with what we've got
You forgot viruses ;)

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Although nice, this is not exactly the feature I'm missing the most. There is, however, one thing that Apple really ought to rip off - the way you browse images in windows. It's been annoying me senseless that OS X is so inferior on that point, that it can't make a slideshow w thumbnails. Well, at least I've got CS 2s Bridge now...

A

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
EricNau said:
You forgot viruses ;)
... and Fast User Switching. MS didn't invent the concept of many users logged in at once - that's been around forever, but the way they implemented it within the OS with the interface was nice and Apple implemented something very similar shortly after.

Many companies come up with good tech ideas or new ways of doing the same tasks that is a little better and all would be intelligent to borrow heavily from one another. It's business people, shareholders don't care who has the most gold stars at the end of the day.

As for the original topic, that's a nifty feature. It is similar to Expose in ways although it seems to be IE-specific. I'm fine with tabs though, I can figure out which page is which from the icon and title text. I'm just glad IE is getting tabs finally - it is far overdue. It won't switch me back to IE on my PC though. I like Firefox and I can use it on all major platforms.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
feakbeak said:
... and Fast User Switching. MS didn't invent the concept of many users logged in at once - that's been around forever, but the way they implemented it within the OS with the interface was nice and Apple implemented something very similar shortly after.

Many companies come up with good tech ideas or new ways of doing the same tasks that is a little better and all would be intelligent to borrow heavily from one another. It's business people, shareholders don't care who has the most gold stars at the end of the day.

As for the original topic, that's a nifty feature. It is similar to Expose in ways although it seems to be IE-specific. I'm fine with tabs though, I can figure out which page is which from the icon and title text. I'm just glad IE is getting tabs finally - it is far overdue. It won't switch me back to IE on my PC though. I like Firefox and I can use it on all major platforms.
Maybe IE will also start putting the little icons next to the url :p
(That has always bothered me about IE)

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
EricNau said:
Maybe IE will also start putting the little icons next to the url :p
(That has always bothered me about IE)

Me too! On Windows (pre-switch), that pushed me over the brink to Firefox. Then I took non-Micorsoft products seriously, and ended up buying a Mac. They lost me as a customer because of those little icons!

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
yeah fav icons have little to do with the browser and mostly to do with the site developer and weather they have bothered to create one.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's more to do with the browser - IE usually doesn't display them. Sometimes it will, but more often than not, it'll just have the default "page with IE logo" icon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.