At least 14 hurt in Lone Star College stabbings

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacNut, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://abcnews.go.com/US/14-people-...-college-texas/story?id=18915596#.UWRep6sjrqI

So now what. No guns involved in this case.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Just goes to show that crimes will be committed regardless of the tool

Is the answer to start regulating knives? Most would consider that absurd.

Why should firearms be any different?

The laws only affect those that get their tools legally. It does not, will not prevent anyone from getting ahold of them illegally if they really wanted to.

Life isn't safe. There are risks everywhere.

Amazing out of the millions who own weapons, a handful....and I mean a handful, can drastically affect the rest. Makes no sense to me.

3. vega07 macrumors 65816

I feel you're using this as a distractor from the larger argument.

Guns can kill people. Knives can kill people. A pencil can kill people. Anything blunt can be used as a weapon to kill.

Guns make the process of killing easier.

This horrible stabbing incident doesn't change anything.

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

How could it get worse, 14 people were stabbed.

6. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

So would you advocate murder and rape being legal? I mean after all, they'll still be committed anyhow.

Oh, well might as well not try to do a damn thing about it, because hey, it's going to happen anyhow.

----------

You really think that a gun cannot do more damage than a knife?

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You equate owning a firearm to rape and murder?

Is this the argument you are trying to make? Quite the disconnect

It is the person that commits the crime, not the tool. As mentioned, anything can be deadly.

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

This is not a gun debate, this is a mental health debate, this is the underling cause in all of these incidents.

----------

I think a deranged person could find a way to kill with a spoon.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

How many gun shootings exceed 14 victims?

However, this isn't the point of the argument being proposed by any means.

10. vega07 macrumors 65816

I don't understand why you're bringing this up.

What do you want us to say? That guns shouldn't be regulated? We ALL know there is a mental health aspect. That's definitely one problem we must tackle. So we agree on that. Now what? What do you YOU want to do next?

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

As has been pointed out many time before, the VAST majority of those with some form of mental illness are in no way dangerous to others. And one does not have to be mentally ill to commit horrendously heinous acts. I'm not speaking of the legal definition of mental illness, but rather the clinical definition.

My only point, with no intent to be contentious, it the suggestion to take some care to not paint the concept with too broad a brush.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Interesting point

Should a mental illness prevent one from having a right as granted by our government?

13. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

We are focusing solely on guns, and yes there should be some regulation. But when a person can walk into a college with a kneif and stab 14 people are we missing the bigger picture. The nut with the weapon not the weapon itself.

14. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

You just stated that crimes were going to be committed anyhow. Regulating certain aspects will significantly lower the chances of injury and death.

Need I bring up gun statistics and gun-related crimes/deaths from other countries that already have harsh gun control laws?

Sure. But a spoon wouldn't do as much damage as fast as a knife, and it would be much easier to stop a person wielding a spoon than stopping a person that had a knife and/or a gun.

Mentally challenged people cannot drive. Rightfully so. Because even though it may be a mental health issue, certain regulations need to be in place to decrease the chance of harm to others (as in most cases, they're not fit to operate a motor vehicle).

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

But why are they allowed to carry sharp objects around a college campus?

16. vega07 macrumors 65816

I don't think we're missing the bigger picture at all. I would say 99.9% of us on this forum would agree with your post and that we need to focus on both gun regulation and mental health care.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This may not be a gun issue but I'm certainly glad he didn't have a gun. There would be 14 dead instead of injured.

18. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Lets say we rid ourselves of every gun in existence and say good now we are safe, won't people move on to other weapons. So where does it end. We can regulate guns all we want but how can we regulate meat cleavers.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Culture plays a role in statistics. The US population has a drastically different mindset than other countries so comparing us to other countries doesn't quite work.

Now, when you look at areas in the US...like Chicago, having harsh gun laws doesn't really have an affect on illegal gun usage.

With that in mind, tell me how harsh gun laws somehow make those with the intent to use them unlawfully comply?

Gun laws only affect legal gun users and these laws are, as usual, knee jerk reactions to events to appease a certain political base without really attempting to solve the issue.

To have effective gun measures, it starts with a change in culture

A quote I like

"If guns commit crimes, mine must be defective"

20. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Certain knife regulations depend on the type of knife.

However, a gun is 5 times more likely to be used in a murder than a knife. Regulating guns should be the more important issue.

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well there might be 14 dead. That's not a certainty.

But I think this misses the point. Saying at least it wasn't a gun is like saying at least it wasn't a nuclear bomb for Sandy Hook or something.

People were still attacked and they are still suffering. That's the important issue.

I feel bad. It sucks that people like this have to take their frustrations out violently toward others.

22. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm going to stay away from the "should" part of the sentence. The fact is that certain rights can be restricted in the case of those individuals who are adjudicated to be dangerous to self or others.

Whether that "should" be the case is not something I wish to address. It is, however, the case that if one is judged to be dangerous to self or others, certain rights can be, at least temporarily, suspended.

My point is just the suggestion to take care using the phrase "mentally ill" too all inclusively. It is only a tiny percentage who have those rights suspended...to protect them from themselves, and others from them.

Once again, the vast majority of those labelled mentally ill represent no danger to anyone.

23. vega07 macrumors 65816

Because meat cleavers aren't as prevalent as guns? I know it's important to look at the future, but you have to practical here. What is the problem we have now? It's a recent string of mass murders with guns. So let's focus on the problem we have now. Do you disagree with this? Why waste precious time thinking about what may happen in the future when we have a problem that we can take care of now, at the present moment?

24. eric/ Guest

eric/

Nobody disagrees with that. What they disagree about is the methods.

25. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Please show a statistic on meat cleavers used in crimes/murders. Until then, you're just making assumptions with no backbone.

Wow, I've never heard the "they're different/not the USA" argument before. :rolleyes:

So by your own argument, Chicago doesn't matter because that too is a different culture than other states. See what I did there?

However, this nation was founded by immigrants and our population continues to be made up of immigrants from other countries.

Considering the large mass of immigrants and those born in foreign countries currently living in the United States, I'd say your entire "it's a different culture" argument is invalid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.