At least 19 advertisers drop Tucker Carlson over immigration remark

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Dec 19, 2018.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

What Tucker Said
    How Fox News defended him:
    The free market reaction - list of those dumping him and their reasoning:
    • IHOP: "[W]e stand for welcoming folks from all backgrounds and beliefs into our restaurants and continually evaluate ad placements to ensure they align with our values. In this case, we will no longer be advertising on this show."
    • Voya Financial: "We have no scheduled spots on Tucker Carlson. We're committed to diversity, inclusion and equality — and respect for all individuals."
    • Just for Men: "Just for Men has no further plans to advertise on Tucker Carlson's show. The brand is always considering ways to remain responsible, and this includes aligning with partners who share our brand value."
    • Pacific Life: "As a company, we strongly disagree with Mr. Carlson's statements. ... We will not be advertising on Mr. Carlson's show in the coming weeks as we reevaluate our relationship with his program."
    • Zenni Optical told the Hollywood Reporter on Monday that it had pulled its advertisements "effective yesterday."
    • NerdWallet also told the Hollywood Reporter it was pulling advertising and will "be reevaluating any ongoing advertising with this program."
    • Bowflex parent company Nautilus: "We can confirm that Nautilus, Inc. parent company for Bowflex, has pulled its ads from the Tucker Carlson Tonight show. ... Aside from our decision to remove our ads from his show, we have no other association or affiliation with Mr. Carlson."
    • Minted: "We do not agree with Mr. Carlson's comments and his opinions are not consistent with the values we hold...That being said, we are permanently discontinuing advertising on this particular program."
    • SmileDirectClub said they're "actively working with our media buyers to confirm that SmileDirectClub is no longer running our ads around any political opinion shows."
    • United Explorer credit card: "We have stopped advertising on the Tucker Carlson Tonight show."
    • Jaguar Land Rover: "Jaguar Land Rover has rarely advertised on the show and does not have any plans for it going forward."
    • Ancestry.com: "We are not advertising at this time."
    • SCOTTeVEST: "We have instructed our media buyers to pull any future ads from that program."
    • SodaStream: "SodaStream has asked Fox to remove us from this time slot."
    • CareerBuilder: "Our purpose at CareerBuilder is to help people build a life that works. Not some people. All people. ... Which is why, last Friday, we permanently suspended advertising on some Fox programming, including Tucker Carlson Tonight."
    • United Explorer: "We have stopped advertising on the Tucker Carlson Tonightshow."
    • Takeda: "We have pulled our advertising off of Tucker's show."
    • Robitussin, per Pfizer spokesperson to THR's Jeremy Barr: "We are no longer advertising on the program."
    • Samsung: "We do not have any advertising planned at this time, for this program."
    Advertisers who have publicly said they're staying put:
    • Mitsubishi: "Our advertising media spend is determined based on demographics and psychographics, not politics. ... We will monitor the situation and adjust our advertising if necessary."
    • AstraZeneca: "The content and opinions of the outlets, networks or websites for which we advertise are not reflective of our views or values as a company. However, as a standard practice, we regularly monitor our media programming to ensure its aligned to our corporate values. As such, we will continue to assess our advertising purchases regarding the heightened attention surrounding this matter."
    • John Deere: "John Deere is an advertiser on the Fox Network. Our ads appear on various shows on the network."
    • Farmers Insurance: "Advertising decisions made by Farmers should not be construed to be an endorsement of any kind as to a show's content or the individuals appearing on the show."
    • Gold Bond producer, Sanofi: "Sanofi purchases advertising time and space in contracts negotiated far in advance and our advertising is never an endorsement of a show and/or the content of a show."
    • Bayer: "Given the wide diversity of media today and wide range of public opinion on any given issue, it would be an impossible task to find a major television or radio network whose entire programming schedule appears to all audiences. ... We also value the opinions of our consumers, and take them into considering when making advertising placement decisions."
    • GMC, per THR's Jeremy Barr: "We are monitoring the situation. We have no additional comment."
    • Infiniti USA, also per Barr: "We are currently looking into this matter."

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

$100 says they have no issue with what he said, this is purely a "business decision" to keep the left wingers with pitch forks from taking to social media.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Liberal inquisition continues.
    I agree with Tucker Carlson.

5. BoxerGT2.5, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

He didn't say anything unreasonable, he said something outside the overton window which is by and large being controlled by the left. If you honestly don't think anyone should ever talk about the economic impact of allowing swaths of illegal immigrants and their kids into the country than I suspect that person is for open borders. Go walk around Los Angeles right now and the homeless camps and tell me they don't need the resources.

When you have the "future of the party", Cortez, claiming that healthcare, housing, free college, guaranteed jobs are all human rights then at some point in time you're going to have to stop accepting outsiders as a moral imperative.

6. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

What you call "left wingers with pitch forks" most others call the free market. Remember when Republicans considered this one of their biggest staples? Funny how the narrative changes when they don't like the outcome.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I don't think that anyone is calling for the socialization of the free market, or saying that they don't have the right to pull their ads. We're just saying that it's appalling what is happening. Legal, still appalling. Considering that Fox News is the most watched TV network, we'll see if the free market will correct the choice.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Oh I don't care that the advertisers pulled their money, which is why I didn't say a word about it. I'm just pointing out that it's important to understand the ACTUAL reasoning behind it.

9. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Had he not said "immigrants will make America poor and dirty" it probably wouldn't have raised so many flags. It's not what Tucker says, it's the pure disdain and hatred he uses when he says it. Very much inline with the white first world "you've offended my sense of entitlement" mentality of Fox News and their ilk.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

That's not what he said.
    'We have a moral obligation to admit the world's poor,' they tell us, even if it makes our own country poorer and dirtier and more divided.

It's very different. He's saying that one side, even IF admitting the poor makes the country worse, that very side would not stop. VERY different, and I don't see anything wrong with it.

11. BoxerGT2.5, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I don't think he hates anyone, but as it pertains to the caravan there is disdain for people showing up and try to plow on through to the other side and then subsequently launch rocks and assault the border patrol. I have disdain for that kind of behavior. I would have the same disdain for a plane full of Swedes who just show up at La Guardia expecting to make the US their home.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Precisely.

13. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Couldn't have a better spin on Fox News. Parse it any way you like but look at the lengths you have to go through to justify it.

It was a terrible thing for him to say and now he's paying the price, rightfully so.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

No I am not spinning anything, and I won't give an inch to a topic so dear to me. What Tucker said on immigration - which should be limited - is sacrosanct.

15. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

I think you are the one spinning things.... He literally used the exact quote you posted.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

People need to look at his actual words and not "read between the lines" and apply motive based on how they feel, which is becoming a serious ****ing problem in this country.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Unless his ancestors are from a federally recognized Native American tribe, his parents and ancestors were immigrants, who also made this country "poor and dirty", yet we grew stronger than we ever have been before. His comments are full of nothing but hypocrisy, and yes, deserve to be taken to task for it.

Keep in mind that a lot of the components used to make up his show were created by immigrants. Again, taken a hell of a lot for granted and showing even more hypocrisy to boot.

And as already mentioned, he may have the 1A right to say what he said, but he doesn't not have the 1A protection from the consequences of what he said; hence why the free market is voting with their money and telling him to go pound sand. And as usual, he and Fox go to play the victim. It's typical, pathetic, and deserves the consequences of what he gets.

And finally on the other side of that coin, it says a lot from what he said; it says even more about those who support him, and puts their character on the line.

BL.

18. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

He did not say immigrants will make our country poor and dirty.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

1) Native Americans didn't have immigration laws.
    2) Some Native Americans (Karankawas etc.) actually ATE immigrants.
    3) You're making a case for controlled immigration, since uncontrolled immigration (or, impossibility to control it) caused pain and suffering to the Native Americans which ultimately led to their almost destruction.

20. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I don't think there's an ounce of empathy for their plight. We dump millions into border security but do nothing to address the root cause in their homeland. You act as though these people trek for hundreds of miles with barely any supplies, shoes, etc. just to throw rocks at our border for not letting them through. These people are poor, live in gang infested areas and are being raped and murdered. But yeah, I can see how they're throwing rocks can be offensive, I bet the Swedes never did that.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Brazil and Argentina are way richer than, let's say, Honduras. They also have the resources to welcome there. And they're closer.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2018 ---
    US has no right to tell other countries how they should be run, unless we pay money IF we want and expect something in return. The US, like any other country, has a right to handle its own borders.

22. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

To be fair, Native Americans didn't need immigration laws. It wasn't until the white man came and imposed their ways on them. Made them dress a certain way, act a certain way and then called them savages and killed them when they acted naturally.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Yep, demonstration that "open borders" doesn't work that well.
    Try "open house" tonight, telling all the homeless individuals and gang victims in your area that your house is wide open to all. Let's see how well it works.

24. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

We want our cake and eat it too then, I suppose. Do nothing to prevent them from coming here in the first place, then treat them like criminals when they seek asylum at our borders.

It's worth noting that while many disagree with China stepping in to help North Korea, their main reasoning is because they'll have a crisis at NK/China border with an influx of immigrants should something happen. Agree with them or not, at least they're wise enough to understand this.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Ok, let's help them.
    I want their unconditional surrender of their sovereignty, with the United States (alone) gaining full authority to restructure their entire criminal justice systems, and their governmental institutions. Restitution will happen after thirty years of GDP growth at a 2% rate, and a perpetual reduction of violent crime. The whole package or nothing.