At Least 194 Children Have Been Shot to Death Since Newtown

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lannister80, Dec 10, 2013.

1. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/12/children-killed-guns-newtown-anniversary

So how is having a gun at home make you, or anyone in your family, safer...?

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

3. lannister80 thread starter macrumors 6502

lannister80

Probably.

Of course, no one claims that having a pool or car makes your family/children safer than not having one.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The death of 194 kids is a small price to pay for my sense of material machismo.

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

You know, like, freedom, and constitution, and rights and stuff.

6. astrorider macrumors 6502

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Your assumption seems to be that since Americans pull out their guns often to defend themselves, then that is proof that guns are necessary weapons for defense.

It leaves me to wonder how people living in countries with far fewer guns—and far fewer gun deaths—manage to defend themselves.

What's you best guess?

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

And I would like to know how many of those are legit claims. ;)

Maybe the fact that two thirds of Americans are overweight or obese and probably don't have much endurance, makes the average American more likely to shoot as a first option, at any threat.

9. obeygiant, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It's hard to say... Here is some perspective.

Children in the United States: 74 million
    Households with a gun: 50 million
    As of 2007 there were 613 fatal firearm accidents in the United States, constituting 0.5% of 123,706 fatal accidents that year.

I don't own a gun nor do I plan to. I don't feel the need to "make my family safer" with one either. But with the amount of guns in the US about 300 million there are bound to be accidents.

You're never going to rid the US of guns, I can't see that happening. The only real answer is to require the guns be locked up or have some sort of mechanism to prevent the trigger with finger print.

edit: this not a problem exclusive to the United States either. Worldwide via wiki

10. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Actually bathtubs save lives when stray bullets fly into people's homes. Plenty of people in dangerous neighborhoods go straight to the tub if there is a shoot out on the street.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Either of your other options would be just as hard to pass politically as a ban on most guns, plus requiring some sort of mechanism to use fingerprints to restrict the shooter would require replacing all the guns out there now which would be about as difficult as trying to rid the country of guns in the first place.

Requiring them to all be locked up would go a long ways towards preventing accidents and keeping criminals from stealing weapons from law abiding un owners, but you'd still have the gun nuts getting upset because if their guns are locked up how are they supposed to grab them quickly enough when someone threatens them by ringing their doorbell.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well if everything is equal, what do you prefer? Otherwise you're basically saying nothing.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm counting on the invention of phasers.

Until then ... this problem is here to stay.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's too bad rubber bullets didn't come first. Great for defending yourself, but particularly fatal.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Ban pretty much everything except for bolt action rifles for hunting, and require a license to own or use a weapon. That would be the best course if we are going to be suggesting things that would be politically impossible but help with the gun violence problem.

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Wut? :confused:

Seriously, I do not understand your statement?

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Seems a bit extreme...

I would have though shotguns were pretty safe - small children are unlikely to be able to handle them. And making sure handguns are in a gun safe should make them safe enough.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

20. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Banning guns in America is an impossible task. It's silly to even bring it into the conversation. There are too many out there, there are too many people that will not give them up and there is no way to find them all unless you are supporting going door to door and searching and disarming everyone ala Hitler.

Let's not forget the last president to be assassinated was done with a bolt action gun.

21. hafr macrumors 68030

22. macmesser, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

macmesser macrumors 6502a

"Most are killed at home, often with an unsecured gun" is meaningless without context. What percentage are killed at home (54%), and that percentage of those are killed with an unsecured gun (27%)? -My bad. Didn't see.

What percentage of children killed is 194? By how many does NRA claim the number of children killed will be reduced and what are their statistics based on?

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    A bucket of throwing rocks.

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The way you worded your statement, it made it sound like rubber bullets were just as deadly i.e. fatal.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I sounds like he forgot to throw a "not" in there.

...but yeah, they're comparatively less deadly, though still not exactly safe. It's common sense that if you propel something of a certain density at a certain speed, it has the potential to kill if it hits you in just the right spots.