At least 25 injured as gunman opens fire in German cinema

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Jun 23, 2016.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Obviously, this is a developing story so details may change. I hope no one is killed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...red-gunman-opens-fire-german-cinema/86282938/

2. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

3. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'm glad no one was hurt and I'm glad the crazy wasn't American

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

6. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

I hope they caught the guy, seem to be working up the "courage" to kill people.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I agree, hopefully no one gets killed the BBC is saying that it looks like most of the injuries are from tear gas that the police used when storming the theater. So that looks promising for no one getting hurt.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36610068

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

He's dead

9. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hopefully, that is true.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Gunman dead, no one else shot. Injuries from tear gas.

Gotta remember to take early reports very skeptically. First tweets in my timeline asid 50 shot.

11. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Looks like a glorified case of suicide by cop, he likely was going to be a mass shooter, then couldn't go through with it. Thank God.

12. FieldingMellish Suspended

As reported:

An attack at a cinema in Viernheim, Germany, has left at least 25 people injured, German public TV reported Thursday.

The suspect entered the cinema, apparently heavily armed, around 3 p.m. local time, authorities said. The attacker has been killed, a state interior minister told a local newspaper, according to Reuters.

It’s not clear if any of the injured were shot, or were injured in other ways.

Police said they won’t release any more details until the operation is over.

http://ktla.com/2016/06/23/mass-shooting-at-cinema-in-germany-leaves-25-wounded/

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Must be a poor gun policy related issue...

Good news is I hear they have a great immigration policy...

In for the details.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Bullocks. Baloney. Great spheroids of balderdash. Germany (i.e., the capital of the EU) has highly restrictive gun laws so this tale is clearly a tissue of misinformation.

You lie!

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

There are reports it was a fake gun and injuries were caused by tear gas.

It was looking like the pro gun Yankees were enjoying this for a second or two.

16. FieldingMellish Suspended

Your gallows humor could use some buffing up. Keep trying and you'll eventually start to be funny at it.

17. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, cause dead German movie goers is part of the pro gun Yankee platform. [/sarcasm]

18. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Exactly which is why I found it so stupid reading some of the comments especially on the neighbouring thread.

For reference:

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well on the rare occasions that things like this happen in developed countries that are not the US we usually see the American gun nuts jumping all over themselves to use it as an example of gun control not working.

20. dec. Suspended

dec.

There's a reason why Germany isn't among or above third world countries when it comes to gun death statistics and why bizarre news like "kid shoots neighbour kid over puppies" or "gun nut girl kills instructor with UZI" predominantly origin in the US, but apparently it is a challenging concept to comprehend.

21. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Because we took all the guns from those Nazi bastards after they started two World Wars in the span of 30 years, and we still maintain a large military presence there.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I think all the Nazi's are dead and those that live are in their 90's. There was a rumour going around that Hitler was dead too!

I think the large military presence in Germany is largely due to its location in Europe not because of those who failed history at school lol.

23. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Your the one that didn't seem to know the German Citizens were forcibly disarmed by the Allies after WW2, they were allow no firearms at all until 1956. Like I said, we took the guns from those Nazi bastards, after much blood and treasure.

Europe isn't the civilized place it is today by mistake, us violent ole Yankees spilled our blood and treasure to make it safe, and as you have point out, keep it safe, from threats like the Soviets rolling right over the top of it.

Us Yanks don't really appreciate Eurotrash acting like they are our betters, after all we're the one's who bailed them out of two big ones in the last 100 years and there was that little thing called the Marshall Plan.

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's perplexing that most of the Brits in PSRI are voting to make Germany the Kaiser of Europe.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

According to the source cited by the OP: 'Mass shootings are rare in Germany. Gun laws were tightened in 2009 after a rampage by a teen gunman.' Rather like the UK tightened up on gun laws after the Dunblane massacre. Rational people do try to put barriers between potentially violent or unstable people and guns.

I note that one of my kids (an adult) just applied for the UK gun licence, which entails a background check, somebody to formally vouch for the applicant's character, and an interview with the police about the reasons for wanting to have a firearm licence. And when a gun is purchased, the gun will have to be stored in a secure manner (including being disassembled during transport for instance) and never stored along with ammunition. Funny, in spite of these regulations, nobody here feels oppressed, threatened, or aggrieved. It is just accepted as taking reasonable precautions.