At least 37 shot, 8 die in violent Chicago weekend

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jb60606, Apr 21, 2008.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

though city officials still gloat; homicide rate is down 1% from last year. Mayor blames shootings on the rising temperature.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- At least 37 people were shot in Chicago over the weekend. Eight of the shootings were fatal.

Chicago police received dozens of 911 calls about the gun violence around the city this weekend. They acknowledge that 37 shootings is a big number for a three-day period.

Six people were hit in three separate shootings late Sunday night on the city's West Side.

At about 10:30 p.m., witnesses say a car pulled up to a group of men standing on the corner of 21st and California and someone inside the car started shooting. A 26-year-old construction worker was killed and two of his friends were wounded.

Mouth Sinai Hospital treated three gunshot victims, including a man and woman who pulled up to the emergency room in their bullet riddled minivan.

A 25-year-old man was shot and killed near Karlov and Polk.

Maria Bejar decided to move from the Little Village neighborhood after her brother was shot to death last year.

"Hopefully, law enforcement gets stronger and hopefully they work something out on, because it's ridiculous that I can't enjoy myself at night because I'm always worried about getting shot or killed," said Maria Bejar, Chicago resident.

Police superintendent Jody Weis continues to blame gangs for the ongoing violence.

"You have too many guns and too many guns and too much drugs on the street," said Jody Weis.

Stopping the violence is now becoming a priority as the weather begins to warm up.

"It's going to be a long summer. Parents better take responsibility for them," said Daley.

Chicago's gangs

One gang expert in Chicago says that it is not just a matter of getting additional gun legislation, but also addressing the bigger problem of resolving poverty, especially in some of the most oppressed communities of the city. He said that one of the important things is to address these concerns, such as housing, displacement of residents. This displacement has, in his words, led to conflicts between gangs that used to be living in different areas. Now as they come together, conflict erupts over turf as these people try to compete for their business.
    Criminologist and author John Hagedorn also went on to comparing the city of Chicago to the city of New York, which had one-third the homicide rate of Chicago last year. The reason for this, he said, is because the gangs are more entrenched here and therefore it is harder to fight
    Wven though there has been a sharp decrease in homicides and other gun-related violence from 10 years ago, the fact remains Chicago last year had 443 homicides, New York had 496, but New York has three times the population, which effectively means Chicago has three times the murder rate.
    Hagedorn says it goes back to the drug wars of the 1990s.
    "In New York, nobody was really happy they were there and bringing the violence and so when the police cracked down, it broke the gangs up. Here, those same gangs have been there for 50 years," he said.
    Hagedorn is the author of a book on gang culture. He says because the gangs are more entrenched here and less structured, they are harder to eradicate and he points to city housing policies which have weakened already poor neighborhoods.
    "The housing needs to be improved. Lawndale used to be 120,000; now it's 40,000 people. Where are they? Nobody knows. We need to invest so that the people who live there have a reason to stay there," he said.
    Hagedorn said if people are invested in the communities that they live in, they will no longer tolerate the gangs conducting their drug business there.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes indeed- winter is over and out come the crazies. :(

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

NOW I know why all the hand-gun pics in the Post Your Last Purchase thread. ;)

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Right with you, sir.
    Damn you, Mother nature. You have taken lives once again....:confused:

5. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

makes for an excellent segue into the global warming debate.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Actually, that's true. Crime is very low here in the winter becasue it gets so snowy and cold. The criminals stay in more. There's always an explosion of viiolence around now because they all feel more comfortable outside.

The saddest thing is- the vast majority of all this violence is concentrated in certain neighborhoods. Most of the north and northwest side is very safe. Whenever this stuff comes up, it's always the same neighborhoods you hear about.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This just made me think about Bad, Bad Leroy Brown by Jim Croce

Not to make light of what happen this past weekend, mind you. Hopefully, things will settle down and this will be just an unfortunate isolated weekend.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yup, sure am glad that the NRA supports handgun ownership for self protection. If the crowds on the street hadn't had their own personal weapons on them, who knows how many more people would have been killed. Guns save lives!

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Guns don't save lives, bullets do.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Wow. I really thought this was from The Onion. That is crazy.

11. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

before it becomes a debate:

firearms are illegal in Chicago. Only those that legally purchased theirs prior to 1980/70-something and re-registered it every year since the ban went into place, are allowed to keep theirs.

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is the freaking truth everywhere I live also.....

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

CanadaRAM, it wouldn't hurt if you had some understanding about the general subject. It is far more difficult for a law-abiding person to legally acquire any firearm, nowadays, than it was prior to 1968--much less 1934. Illinois is a state with even more restrictive state laws than most; Chicago has traditonally been anti-gun in its municipal government.

Gangs, drugs and guns go together--past, present and future. There's not a law that can be passed that will stop it. And even if poverty were ended, the competition for sales of drugs would have the violence continuing...

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- once again I can't say this enough, we have a cultural problem, not a gun problem. Our gun laws are very restrictive here and it hasn't accomplished one thing.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yep.

If the parents were held accountable for their children, and the state stayed out of the corporal punishment arena, things might change for the better.

Abuse laws would still prevail for the less "delicate", so don't give me that excuse.

16. djellison macrumors 68020

Compare to Canada and it's very large gun ownership, and the reality is that it's not a gun problem - it's fundamentally a sociological problem - and I don't think anyone knows how to fix it.

Doug

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It does present a problem, to be sure. I can tell you one thing I think- legalize drugs and tax the crap out of them. The gangs will be out of business at least as far as drugs are concerned.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

We have our fair share of gang killings in Toronto, believe me. With many truly innocent bystanders shot as well.

Drugs go South, guns come North.

I could draw you a better picture, but I'm sure I would be flogged as being a racist. And I'm not speaking of the large Black population in Toronto. They are looking for an answer, the same as the rest of us.

19. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

Seconded.

I don't have any statistics, but my gut says that most of the killings in Chicago are gang related. Same lessons from prohibition; if gang member A wants to kill gang member B, he's not going to stop because guns are against the law.

I am curious if it's cut down on the domestic violence type of murders, and if there's been an increase in home invasion-type crime since the gun ban.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...that would be interesting to know for sure.

21. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing 'Yes', for both. More importantly, the major decrease in homicides in NYC and LA after their gun bans were lifted is pretty jarring.

I'm not saying Chicago should lift the gun ban, and, I in fact admire the city for "sticking to it's guns" (no pun intended). There are a lot of things I want to teach my children, and how to shoot a gun isn't one of them.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What's to admire? It's been an utter failure. My dad taught me how to use several different kinds of guns and made me take a safety course. I'm still here.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just like Washington DC. Very strict gun laws, high murder rate.

24. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

good for you. Though, nothing you can say could possibly convince me that arming our kids is the answer & fix.

25. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Saw this on the news tonight. The source is guns, gangs, and drugs. Apparently 2006 was deadlier than this and last year. 420 weekend FTL...