At size 4, model Coco Rocha is latest of many women considered fat by the industry

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by anjinha, Feb 16, 2010.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

This is ridiculous! :mad:

2. splitpea macrumors 6502a

The fashion industry is completely ****ed.

It's also revealing that the Victoria's Secret models, who are generally considered to be incredibly sexy, are several sizes larger than runway models.

If the fashion industry is so desperate to have their women shaped like clothes hangers (and who wants to buy clothing that only looks good on a hanger?), maybe they should hire roboticists instead of models.

Also worth reading...

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    There are plenty of jobs in modelling going for women of all sizes, maybe not in runway or for the top designers, but then, not every industry has open access to all sorts of people at all levels anyway. That's life, and there are more important things to worry about that some skinny girl who isn't skinny enough to spend her weekends snorting coke with other superficial socialites.

4. splitpea macrumors 6502a

There are two concerns that I think are worth our attention: 1) models dying because they starve themselves so severely; 2) girls who emulate them and have body image/self esteem problems or even become dangerously anorexic attempting to live up to an impossible "ideal".

It's possible that there's a solution to #2 other than preventing fashion designers from insisting on emaciated models; but #1 is directly related to that aspect of the industry and won't go away until that culture changes.

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

1. Hardly an epidemic. How many models have actually died in the history of the world because of dieting? 2? You know they take a lot of drugs at parties too right? And it's their own choice, no-one's starving them, unlike people in the world which starve because they have no food.

2. Girls make lots of mistakes then they grow into women and get a job, married and wise up for the vast majority. And when I walk down the street I don't see scores of skinny waifs fainting due to hunger. Quite the opposite, too many women are overweight.

6. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

When I see the huge numbers of people in the west dying of obesity - girls obviously included .......... I see that the biggest problem is not with skinny, but the opposite.

Sorry but the real problem is not with a few underweight models, but the millions of morbidly obese.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

the flip side you get is you have so many people who believe that the impossible for skinny view that they do not want to try to loss weight because what is considered thin is impossible for them to ever even get remotely closed to.

There needs to be pressure put on the industry to make its models closer to the normal healthy size for people.
    Besides men like there women to have a little meat on them.

8. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

So fat people get/stay fat because they can't get thin ..... interesting theory.

As for a normal weight - I'll let my wife know that as a size zero she isn't normal. She doesn't starve herself - eats more than me but remains small.

I guess it depends on what you call normal.

9. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

How tall is she though?

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Thank you. :)

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

No what I sad was a lot of fat people do not bother trying to get thin because they can not get to what fashion says is thin.

It is a that lovely downward spirl people get into. They try but can not get there so they give up and gain more weight and it goes round and round.

It needs to be pushed that it is not healthy and the fashion industry needs to shape up and start pushing that fact and push more normal sizes weight and thinnest for the models

13. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I do'nt like how girls think they have to weight 90 lbs to be sexy. My gf is 115 lbs 5'1" tall and she think she's fat. We are Chinese and most Chinese girls with 90 lbs and they think they are fat. :rolleyes:

14. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I guess I've known too many girls who struggled with anorexia, including one who had to be hospitalized for it.

And no, not every size 0 is unhealthy, especially if she's under 5'2" or so. I even knew a girl with a metabolic disorder who *couldn't* put on weight.

But 5'10" and size 0 is unhealthy 99 times out of 100. Skinny enough that you can see her ribs through a swimsuit is unhealthy. Looks like the child of an African famine or a concentration camp survivor is unhealthy. Yet this is being promoted as an ideal.

If the ideal were set as something attainable (look at the larger woman in the link I posted above) then yes, I think girls who struggle with overweight would see it as more easily within their reach and more worth the effort to accomplish.

Just as importantly, I think that we'd have fewer general body image and self-esteem problems among girls.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Many of the models for runway are like 14-15 years old aren't they? They basically have to be walking mannequin.

16. powerdave macrumors regular

Never understood the appeal of this "catwalk" model business at all, nor am I able to recognise a size 0 from a size 4... looking at the photos of Coco Rocha in that article, she still looks as thin as anyone should be allowed to be!

I do think though that designers are looking for something else in their models and that they seem to consider tall, slender figures to be elegant and portray their designs in a better light... but sexy they most certainly are not.

If anything it's getting spooky, models are starting to look like characters from a Tim Burton movie...

17. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

5 ft 7

This is dangerously close to blaming the fashion industry for the fact that people are fat - I guess we both know its far more complicated than that.

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

No way, I want my women to look like they were just released from a german concentration camp from the 1940's! :rolleyes:

I agree with you rdowns 100%.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I do not blame the fashion industry for it but they sure as hell do not help matters at all. If anything they add to the problem.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, concentration camps.............. concentrated with potential runway models!

I think the argument that girls look at runway models and consequently strive to be as skinny as they are to be really weak, and actually, quite ridiculous and insulting to most women. :rolleyes:

Most girls who wish they looked like models are usually referring to Victoria Secret models or/and SI Swimsuit models, and they're probably around a size 4. Girls/women are probably not referring to fashion models. In fact, the only ones I know off the top of my head is Kate Moss, and only because she's ****ed.

If it really is a problem that girls are striving to be size 0s because of the types of girls they see on runways, then I don't believe it. Most girls would be "starving" themselves to be Size 4. Yes, for some girls, becoming a size 4 would still be unachievable, and based on some of the arguments thrown around so far, the size 4 models are a bigger cause of health issues in normal girls than runway models. :confused:

Should we raise the average size of a VS or SI Swimsuit model to a Size 6 or 8 because it's more attainable? Nope. Sorry, but they're models because they're more attractive than the large majority of normal girls, even in the eyes of other normal girls. It's not attainable for most women because you can't really have most women be in that top 0.1%. It's like IQ, pro sports, Olympic athletes, etc.

21. mandizzle macrumors member

mandizzle

damn right!

22. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Not necessarily. You'd be surprised to see how many girls look at pictures of VS models and think they are fat.

No one is debating that VS models are too skinny or that they should be bigger. The issue is the size 0/sickly thin runway models that are the "standard" by the fashion industry. The article I posted in the OP refers to a size 4 model that because of her size has trouble finding work. While I understand and agree that models aren't supposed to be "normal women" they shouldn't have to starve themselves and be unhealthily thin but that's exactly what the industry demands of them.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

She looked at fashion runway models as a teenager and wished she looked like them and modelled clothes. Then she attempted to look like the same people she idolised, failed, and blames the industry for hiring women that are too thin? Fashion modelling has always preferred women with less curves so that their figures don't draw people's focus away from the clothes.

A small percentage of people are actually stick-thin like that and perfectly healthy. While beautiful and skinny, the model in the article isn't one of those people who are naturally stick-thin. If so, then perhaps she's not suited for the job. :confused: I knew several girls who were all naturally VERY thin. One of them told me that she constantly had to tell people that it's her natural physique, and she's not starving.

My point is that not EVERY job in the world can be attainable by all. It's not that the model in the article wasn't beautiful or skinny. She's both. She just doesn't have the physique that the fashion industry wants. Like most people, I don't understand the mindset of the fashion industry, but the view they should have is not up to us to decide. They decided on what they want, and there are girls who can fill that role due to their natural physique. Some girls are NOT naturally like that, but try to force the issue by going on crazy diets. These are the girls who get into trouble.

Sorry. Life isn't perfect. She may be pretty, but there's no point trying to force a square peg into a circular hole.

24. ChrisA macrumors G4

Ah, but you forget. Men don't buy women's cloths. All those pictures of thin women are targeted to other women who shop.

So it don't matter what men like to look at. men rarely see those photos.

25. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

I buy considerably more women's clothes every year than I do men's (yes I'm a bloke) and no I'm not a cross dresser :(