AT&T (3G/S) customers Are you waiting to see if 4S uses HSPA+ or are you preordering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GodWhomIsMike, Oct 6, 2011.

1. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

Hey AT&T (3G and 3GS) customers due for an upgrade: Are you waiting to see if the 4S uses HSPA+ or are you preordering it anyways?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

We, the consumers, already know its using HSPA+.

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Whether it's hspa+ or whatever as the keynote said it will be as fast as the Atrix, Inspire etc. My son's Inspire averages 4-5 down.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It is HSDPA, not HSPA+.

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The keynote said the 4S will be as fast as the Inspire and Atrix etc.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well it compares well with the HSPA+ phones so I could careless what they call it - apparently it works good, if not better, than an "HSPA" android.

even if it isn't HSPA+ i'm still getting it because it's not like my speeds will actually improve

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple states that it has a maximum downlink speed of 14.4. This is a 3GPP revision 7 speed. 3GPP revision 7 is HSPA+. If Apple stated is max downlink as 14.0, a revision 5 speed, it would be HSDPA.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I didn't listen to the Keynote but that isn't a specification nor does it hold great meaning. Below is all we really have to go by.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

9. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got an aging iPhone 3G, which is begging to be retired. It's painfully slow, and the wifi antenna is dead. I want something that won't feel like a burden to use at the end of a two year contract, like this 3G was. I also want something that will get better data speeds than last year's iPhone 4.

10. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The keynote said

Referring to AT&T line of HSPA+ devices.

Cook is not saying the 4S is HSPA+, he's saying that the 4S will be as fast as AT&T line of HSPA+

11. lilo777 macrumors 603

I think you are in a tough spot (as are many others). The problem is that while 14Mbps should be plenty fast for any phone, AT&T 3G service is nowhere near that speed. It's around 2Mbps in most places. And now that they started deploying LTE I doubt that they will invest a penny in improving their 3G infrastructure. So, LTE would give you future proofing but unfortunately 4S does not have one.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That doesn't matter. It's marketing propaganda. It doesn't answer the OPs question anyway.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

HSDPA is a subset of the HSPA stuff.

It uses the MDM6600 chipset, look up it's spec sheet, it's HSPA+.

14. lilo777 macrumors 603

Which is obviously a plain lie. Here is what "other" phones give you right now:

[​IMG]

This one is for HTC Thunderbolt.

15. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

I could live with HPSA+, but I think less than that will be a tough sell. HSPA+ is a transition between 3G and true 4G. I don't expect widepread true 4G (or LTE) or at least 18 months, so I would be more than satisfied with the HSPA+ for now.

Judging from this tread, it seems no one knows for sure if it is HSPA+ or not on AT&T. :(

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It was not a lie, the HTC Thunderbolt is the exception, and it's not available on ATT either, so it's irrelevant to this discussion.

They compared to Aitrix 4G, Inspire 4G, and Thrill 4G

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sadly, to get those speeds you have to sacrifice battery life. Here's the iPhone's battery life:
    Battery.jpeg

Pretty isn't it?

18. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The quote from the keynote is referencing AT&T line of HSPA+ devices and he said the 4S will be as fast. We are not taking or debating about LTE or HSPA+ but trying to show you Cook said the 4S will be as fast as AT&T HSPA+ devices.

19. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

I carry my Macbook with me almost all the time, so free charging. :p

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Some/most people don't want to carry an extra battery or laptop.

21. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Additionally we know the chipset the CDMA iPhone 4 used and now the iPhone 4S uses supports HSPA+.

22. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is the only concern I have. I hope this is right. It is unfortunate that the literature doesn't state it one way or the other. The only thing I do NOT want is to be locked into data speeds on par with my iPhone 3G for two more years.

23. lilo777 macrumors 603

Apple presentation was not AT&T specific so it is a lie. Besides, AT&T has LTE now too. And would it be OK if they compared 4S to some 2G phones?

24. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

They are separate technologies but both are based on HSPA.

High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) is an enhanced 3G technology. It has download speeds of up to 1.8, 3.6, 7.2, and 14.0 Megabit per second.

Evolved High-Speed Package Access (HSPA+) is based on HSPA, but is defined by the 3GPP standard. It has download speeds of up to 84 Megabits per second.

Also, just because the chip supports it, doesn't mean the phone does. Apple doesn't mention HSPA+ on the iPhone 4S specification.

25. mpossoff macrumors 68020

My iPhone 4 is faster than an iPhone 3.