At&t 4g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pooleman, Feb 9, 2012.

1. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

After being throttled last month I have started paying very close attention to my bills and data usage. As I scanned my latest bill I noticed that my iPhone 4S is apparently on the "AT&T 4G" network. My iPhone 4S still displays 3G in the signal bar. Am I supposed to be getting faster service? I am not paying anymore money. I have not noticed any faster service since getting my 4S.

Can someone explain this to me? And what is AT&T "ENHANCED BACKHAUL"?

2. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes you are now on the 14mb HSPA network that ATT calls 4G :rolleyes:, and the iphone 4 runs 7mb HSPA network that was called 3G:rolleyes:.

Lies, all lies.

3. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

But in reality you'll get at most some 5Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up :(

4. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

photo.PNG

Here is what I am getting in South Eastern CT

5. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Not true Ive hit 7,8,9,and once got 11 MBPS down though only once did I hit 11

6. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

IS that where the "Enhanced Backhaul" kicks in? Are you in a major market like Boston?

7. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Im in NYC the Brooklyn Area apparently most of the 5 boroughs have enhanced backhaul

8. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I heard that in the state of Texas people are reporting faster speed (where AT&T headquarters: command) is :)

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

The fastest speed I've gotten in the Greater Cleveland area is 6.1 Mbps down and 2.1 Mbps up, using an iPhone 4. If I had a 4S I would probably be able to get closer to 13 down and 4-5 up.

10. goofy1958 macrumors regular

Apple made the decision NOT to add a different indicator when you are connected to the HSPA+ (what AT&T calls 4g :confused: it really isn't) network, instead of the HSPA 3g network. AT&T has asked Apple to change the icon when you are connected to the HSPA+ network, but no word on whether Apple has agreed, and even if they have, when it will be available. My AT&T "4g" Aircard says H+ when I am connected to it, instead of 3g.

The "Enhanced Backhaul" they mention is connecting a fatter internet pipe to the telephone switch that the cell tower you connect to eventually sends your data to. Maybe it was 100MB before they added HSPA+ to your area, and now they have upgraded to a 1GB pipe, so faster data speeds on your phone.

11. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Unless your in Manhattan especially midtown data wont work

12. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

its funny if you use ATT's method of calculating what G your on then I am on Verizon's new 7G network.

3G= 7Mb
    4G= 14 MB
    5G= 21 MB
    6G= 29 Mb
    7G= 36 Mb

Man I am way ahead of the technology curve. When LTE advanced is rolled out that will be like 100G :)

13. antman2295 macrumors 6502

I don't know if im in an HSPA+ zone, but according to At&t's website I'm not, but the fastest ive ever gotten was 6.69 mbps down with 2.20 mbps up. When I was in a HSPA+ zone I only got like 4.5 mbps...

14. cynics macrumors G4

7g is Busch league

[​IMG]

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Can I use that to pay my bookie?