AT&T 99c iPhone 3GS quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matt90036, Dec 7, 2011.

1. matt90036 macrumors regular

Hi,
    Did anybody get iPhone 3GS for 99c from AT&T with 2 year contract? What is the quality of the refurbrished unit? Any scratches? Is the battery new or also reconditioned?
    Thanks

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the free/$0.99 3GS is a new 3GS..not refurbished.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You are correct. The 99 cent unit is brand new. They are fine quality-wise. It is a 2 year old phone though. They can;t keep pushing updates forever. So keep that in mind!

4. woodydog macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

At least you can jailbreak the 3GS. I payed 299 for my 4s and I would trade you

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I'll trade you a 3GS for a 4S...

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I've owned every iPhone. The 3GS was one of the best as a phone. It's also one of my favorites. You will not be disappointed, for that price you cannot go wrong. Period. :)

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Like others have said, the 99c iPhone 3GS should be brand new, not refurbed.

However, from countless threads I've seen over the years, if you do go for an AT&T refurbed iPhone, they don't put them in new shells, or replace the battery with a new one, like Apple does with its refurbs. AFAIK Apple only uses its refurbs for warranty replacements, they don't actually sell them like AT&T does.

8. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Wow .. if Jailbreaking is your top priority, why go iPhone after all? or at least why go 3GS? iPhone 4 is much better while still jailbreakable. Buy new 3GS only if you want a basic phone, or only want it as a gift. But really, compared to the same 2 years contract's value, iPhone 4/4S upfront fees worth nothing.

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The 99c iPhone 3GS from AT&T _is New_ 100% positive.

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

You think Sprint will get the 3GS? Probably not since 3GS's are GSM, not CDMA. Great deal.

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

You're correct. GSM is the only version of the 3GS.

12. woodydog macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Joking going to sell it and get a 4 or android. I miss my 3GS. It was old bootroom so untethered jb every time and had a new screen and battery. I just wish I never sold it

13. matt90036 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, guys, thanks for all the responses. The reason why I am getting a 3GS iPhone is because I am really going to beat the crap out of it. I tend to drop my phones left and right. iPhone 4 suffered from broken glass so i dont want it. Also I'm going to be doing rotations in really really bad neighberhood (brookdale NY) and I don't want to carry on me $600 device. This is going to be my first smart phone and I'm only getting one because I need it for my school.
    Another question: how is the aGPS like? I'm going to be getting the most basic plan with 200mb per month allowance, I will get TomTom maps to get along with it but my big concern is whether aGPS will suck every megabyte out of my plan? From what I understand and correct me if I'm wrong the aGPS uses both internal GPS and cell towers.
    Again, it's great to see so many responses, thanks guys.

14. urbhusker macrumors newbie

I just ordered a new one from the Apple Store for free to replace our home phone. Even with the $15.00 data add on and $9.99 extra line I'll save $25/mo over the home phone. And I couldn't pass up a free 3Gs in lieu of a free dumbphone. We have an 8 year old who likes his I-Pod so I figure in two years we'll let him have the 3Gs and we'll upgrade to another phone.

15. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

the aGPS uses a GPS radio + information from WiFi and Cellular networks to determine your location. It does not, however, SEND or RECEIVE any data between the two connections. aGPS uses little if no Data at all.

Rather, you should be worried about the Maps Application, which has to download the maps from the internet...

16. blevins321 macrumors 68030

That's an excellent idea for those who still desire home phones :) You might want to consider one of THESE (or something similar). It'll connect via bluetooth to the iPhone, and pump it over your existing home phone wiring to allow you to use your existing wired or RF wireless phones.

17. urbhusker macrumors newbie

I should have posted earlier! We gave our phones to my wife's sister. So this works pretty well?
    I don't no if it's a desire to have a home phone but there are times we'll leave our 8 year old home alone for up to a half hour. It's more of a piece of mind that he has a way to call out should something arise.

18. AznTakumi macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The 3GS is fine but If you can't afford the iPhone 4/4s why even get a iPhone then because your going to have to pay a monthly data plan

19. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I'm not sure how much more negative one could be.

The 3GS is an excellent phone. I've had them all and believe me the 3GS is a very worthwhile model. In fact I gave mine to my wife since she's already broken two of the fragile glass iPhones (4 & 4S)

She loves the 3GS, no worries, it's durable, makes better calls than the iPhone 4 and is far better than most give it credit for.

Not all of us are obsessed with having the latest model, nor is newer always better. I hate the ergonomics of the glass slab, even though I do have a 4S...

I'm very eager to get rid of it for the upcoming new iPhone. It's got to be better than these last two. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they are bad, just not Apple's best work.

With the amount of pushback Apple has experienced with the 4S, and believe they have (not everyone is as obsessed as we are in the forums) Apple is very focused on bringing the next model to market ASAP.

20. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The data plan is as low as $15/mo, so $360 for 2 years. Tacking on another $100, $200 or more for a 4/4S is significant.

21. matt90036 thread starter macrumors regular

wait, please enlighten me on this subject I'm new to iPhone. I thought that if I buy GPS app from TomTom or Navigon, the iPhone will not have to use wifi to download maps. can someone confirm it's it's true or not.

22. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You are correct, apps like Navigon or TomTom or Garmin USA don't use data.

23. matt90036 thread starter macrumors regular

Because as I said in the previous post. I will rally abuse my iPhone and I know that 4 and 4S are weaklings. I've seen my aunts 3GS and I've seen how many times she dropped it and the phone speaks for itself.

24. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yes admitted .. while looks less pretty .. pre iPhone 4 is a phone that built to last. Lesser glass surface means tougher and harder to break, and fits better in hand. Too bad it choke up on performance side, low resolution, slow CPU & hardly found with factory unlocked.

Well I guess good looking and toughness hardly going the same way :p