AT&T A Bunch of Crooks... Only One Line Eligible, Contract Termination Raise...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thiagos, Jun 9, 2010.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

I couldn't fit everything in the headline.
    I have 2 lines in my family plan and last year I got 2 iPhones 3GS onthe day it came out (July 2009). I called AT&T today to find out why only one line was eligible, they said since it is a family plan only the main line is eligible for the discount EVEN THOUGH if I get the iPhone 4 on both lines, the termination fee will rise from $175 to $375.
    The rep acted as if they were doing me a favor to allow me to upgrade one of the lines early, when they are raising the termination fee.
    I spend around $230 a month on those 2 lines, I think If someone should be eligible, I think I should.

Am I overeacting?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Wah...waaahhh!

When you signed up, you agreed to a 2 year contract before being able to upgrade. That you can even get 1 phone upgraded after 1 year is a GIFT. Grow up.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Tough break OP. I would suggest updating one line now, and wait for the other one. The news about the new ETF came out a couple of weeks ago and it is for all smartphones. This is also something Verizon did a while ago.

And yes, you are overreacting.:p

5. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Whats the surprise here- AT&T is not a charity - heres a shocker they want to make money- The fact that they are allowing you to upgrade outside of your committment is a gift and nothing more

6. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Yes

7. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

No, you are not overreacting. Almost all cell phone providers do this, and I am just as angry about ETF's, text messaging rates, data rates etc as you are. I gave ATT the finger last year and I don't care if they have the most amazing, gorgeous, incredible phone ever (iPhone), i will never sign back up :)

8. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

Wah wah? What are you 5? And I have to grow up?
    Dork!

9. g8orballboy macrumors regular

At least you can upgrade one line... i have a family plan with 2 iphone 3GS's that we got on launch day and NIETHER line is elligble until Feb 2011... I'm envious of you, so you should feel lucky!

10. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Well said

11. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Bummer for you. I also have a family plan, my monthly bill for 2 phones is $242/month with taxes. Both accounts are now eligible for a full upgrade... until a week ago or so only my account was available for an upgrade, they have since changed the other one too. Have you been late on payments ever? Also, the new ETF is $325/line not $375.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I don't understand your complaint? so you signed 2 - two year contracts on July 2009 which expire on July 2011. So AT&T does you a favor and lets you out of one contract early but they did something wrong?

Talk about getting a hand and wanting to take the whole arm.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

AT&T is doing you a favor by letting you upgrade one line early. They don't even have to do that.

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Being that your EFT is raising for both lines I don't think you are overreacting.

15. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

AT&T won't raise your ETF on both lines, unless both lines are upgraded to devices that now require the higher ETF.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes,

Don't like it take your business elsewhere. By the way, you can thank all those people last year who bought the iPhone, canceled their contracts, paid the 175 and sold the iPhone for a profit.

There is no way now to buy/cancel/sell it for a profit thanks to high ETF.

AT&T is doing a lot of people a favor by changing the upgrade dates, just look at all the apple fans salivating over the iPhone 4, just wait and you'll see huge lines for the iPhone at the end of the month. AT&T didn't have to do what they did. They have a valid contract in hand, they could have told everyone who's not eligible to pound sand but they didn't.

Why whine about AT&T doing something decent, if you don't like their business decisions, move on, nobody is putting a gun to your head to buy the next iPhone.

17. Orange™ macrumors 6502

He was jesting at the fact that you whine like a bitch. Stop complaining.

18. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I don't think you're overreacting at all! I upgraded to the 3gs right around launch, and others who did that are now eligible to upgrade.

Our bill is 250ish/month, we have 5 phones on ATT. I am the only one who upgraded, the rest are eligible for upgrades because they all bought their phones in 2007!

However, I'm not eligible for upgrade either. Mine says 4/13/2011. We have made all of our monthly payments on time, 250$/month payments... according to what I've heard I should definitely be able to upgrade... Instead I have to upgrade on another line and go through the hassle of switching phones around at an AT&T store (which IS a hassle because I'll be in another state from my family when it comes out..)

AT&T needs to be more clear about their early upgrades, and more fair to situations.

19. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I love the logic to these threads:

• User signs a contract with AT&T
    • AT&T abides by the contract
    • AT&T is a crook?

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

+ whatever it's up to on the overreacting.

Yes, ATT is doing us all a huge favor letting us upgrade early. They are not doing this for any customers on other phones. So if you bought a BB Bold last June, guess what... you wouldn't be able to get a fully discounted iPhone 4 in a couple weeks.

Family plan has always been one phone upgrade at a time. Read the fine print next time.

21. Built macrumors 68020

Well said.

And yes, the OP is overreacting.

22. g8orballboy macrumors regular

This is all well and good for those of you that get to upgrade, but can you explain why i'm the primary on a family plan that has 2 3GS's from launcn day, yet NEITHER of my phones is elligible? I wouldn't expect both phones, but it be nice if i could at least upgrade mine (since my wife doesn't really care either way :p )

23. Built macrumors 68020

Once again...You agreed to a TWO-year commitment. You purchased your 3GS's ONE-year ago. It is AT&T's business decision to establish a "cut-off."

After purchasing my iPhone 4, I will not be here in June 2011 whining that AT&T is not giving me an upgrade to the iPhone 5. I know...going in...what the terms and conditions are, and like an adult, I accept them.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Everybody who gets the iPhone (and other smartphones) will have an increased ETF. This is for AT&T to cover the $400 subsidy. While I don't agree w/ how the subsidy program works, this is perfectly fair. They are proteting their investment in you as a customer (they will invest $400 per phone in the hopes that they earn that much and more back in profits from your account.)

For explanation of why only one line is upgradeable, please see the bottom half of the upgrade guide.