AT$T already moving up renewals

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maverick713, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

I like to check this every week to see when My wife's account is set for upgrade and as of May 15th hers will be good to, I used my mothers line last year so I am already set who else has noticed this?

:)

2. OceanView macrumors 65816

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

What was your upgrade date before?

4. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Strange? I've never received an early upgrade on any of my iPhones. Always have to wait the two full years. I'm eligible for upgrade to 4S now but plan to hold out for the iP5.

5. Maverick713 thread starter macrumors 6502

it only showed my wife's account as able to get a discounted upgrade on the 15th of may not a regular upgrade.

6. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

They usually give you an early upgrade either when a new iPhone is imminent, or based on your standing with AT&T. Depending on how many lines you have etc.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

Thus an early upgrade and not a full upgrade. Which means she can upgrade say iphone 4S16 gb at $299.00. That happened to me when i got the iPhone 4 at an early upgrade discount by paying $399 for a 32 gb

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How clever! A $ in place of the & in AT&T. Classic!

9. Maverick713 thread starter macrumors 6502

now she gets the real upgrade price, so when I sell our 4s iPhones I should turn at least a 100 dollar profit.

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

ATT raised the early upgrade pricing and remember if you use the early upgrade pricing you reset your upgrade pricing back another 18-21 months. ATT also did away with "special 12 month full subsidy upgrades last year ago.....no more 12 month full subsidy 199/299 upgrades even if you are primary user with more than $99 on the primary line"

Full subsidy iphone upgrade ($199/299)
    Partial subsidy iphone upgrade ($449/549) (usually available 6 months after last full subsidy upgrade)

ATT also tends to "move up" upgrades 30 days if you are about to become "fully eligible within that same month"

ATT and Sprint have eliminated 12 month full subsidy upgrades. Verizon has eliminated new every 2.

iPhone is the culprit. Sure they are making profits off smartphone data plans. But the carriers are in this business to make even more money. And subsiding the iPhone fully is causing them to take these actions.

11. Maverick713 thread starter macrumors 6502

My wife is the primary, and it showing her account as having the full upgrade price so thats that.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am slightly confused. Did she use an upgrade on the 4S last year? :confused:

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

good question when was her account renewal last used? What phone is linked to her account and when was it purchased?

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

You get one last 12 month full subsidy upgrade. ATT internally announced the end of 12 month primary account full subsidy upgrades sometime in the Spring 2011.

So if you wife upgraded to an iPhone 4 sometime in the spring of 2011 before ATT made the change, she gets one last time with the 12 month upgrade.

Those who used their upgrades with Android devices (thus using their last 12 month upgrade) have been complaining why they upgraded to X Android device more than 12 months ago and in 2012 (more than 12 months after their upgrade) they aren't elgible anymore.

Again, if your wife upgraded to an iphone 4 in Spring 2011, she may have beat the cutoff date for 12 month primary account upgrades....thus entitled to one last full subsidy upgrade at the 12 month mark.

15. Maverick713 thread starter macrumors 6502

yup we both upgraded to the 4s on launch day, though I had to scour nassau county for an iphone for her, but I found one.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Lucky stuff then! :)

17. bob616 macrumors 6502

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

19. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I find it a bit odd that you check this every week...

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Upgrade status does not change just because a new iPhone is about to be released. Never has, never will.

If you notice a change in the date of eligibility it's simply because AT&T has dynamic dates based on account usage, total amount spent, and a few other variables. The "Myth" that it's based on iPhones is nothing more than pure speculation & guesswork.

AT&T is in the business of selling as many phones, of all brands, as possible. It's as simple as that. I get early upgrades on Android, iPhones, and Windows phones. All because I have several lines, all with unlimited voice, text, and data. Therefore I spend a lot and get a lot.

21. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Maybe so, but I remember around the iPhone 4 launch many people were conveniently all of the sudden eligible when earlier they still had a few months until eligibility. Seems to happen around launch time of any major iPhone release. Maybe just a coincidence?

22. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Hubby's upgrade date (primary phone on AT&T family plan) usually moves up after the next iPhone is announced. So far it's happened every year. His currently says May 2013. We upgrade his phone with each version and mine every other version. I'm eligible now, but waiting for the next version since my 4 still works great.

23. aneftp macrumors 68040

I find highly unusual for the OP's wife who upgraded to iPhone 4S in October 2011 to be FULLY ELIGIBLE? for another phone come May 15th 2012?

Makes no sense. Did you log into the OLAM. Click through the upgrade options.

After 6 months from your last upgrade you get "partial upgrade" eligible. But AT&T will say that you "may be eligible for an upgrade". But click through that link and it will show the iPhone 4S piece as $449/549 partial upgrade price.

So have you clicked through the OLAM pricing?

I have been in Cingular/AT&T for over 8 years and now all the loopholes and rules.

In fact with FANs AT&T was allowing full subsidy upgrades every freaking month up until early 2008! It was an unbelievable deal where I could get a new phone every month. Also hughe iPhone 3 G loophole when it was released. You literally could keep re activationing iPhone 2007 and make yourself eglible immediately. People literally brought 10-20 iPhone 3 G in 2008 for $199 and flipped them ok eBay with the same phone number. Unbelievable loophole. Same thing with tr refurbished iPhone 3G in early 2009.

That's why I said I know pretty much all the ins and outs at AT&T.

So OP did you click on through to see the price of the upgrade price?

24. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Not really - they have done full-subsidy upgrades a few months early the last time or two. When the four came out, anyone who's upgrade was between release and the end of the year got their's moved up to release.
    I do seem to recall the special early upgrade usable only on the iPhone.

25. Maverick713 thread starter macrumors 6502

why?

----------

I check through the apple site it's easier.