AT&T and Apple: The Marriage is Over

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Jun 3, 2010.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Opinion from an outsider: I only own one Apple product, an Ipad, but I was so impressed I was going to get the 4G phone from AT&T, even though I am a Verizon customer. I know the reports regarding AT&T service, but the phone looks so good I was going to suck it up.....but, to me, now it is so plain to see. Jobs not commenting regarding the Iphone with other carriers and AT&T changing their data plans, thus undercutting the sales of the 3G Ipad. Verizon is going to get the phone, no doubt in my mind, and I am going to wait. I think that Jobs just got fed up with the management of AT&T and how they are screwing customers. The solution for not enough capacity is to ADD CAPACITY, not tell customers to cut their usage. AT&T will get what they deserve.

2. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

ATT is spending the most money on spectrum purchases and tower construction than any other American carrier.

3. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

So, saving 98% of their customers $$ is screwing them? If people are concerned with their data usage and are current customers they have until Monday to move to an unlimited plan. They are not FORCING you to move to a new plan

Ok, wait for the phone to get on the VZ network.

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

A few abusers forced this on AT&T along with all the complaints. Abusers will stay with the unlimited plan. Any carrier will have their network overloaded with the iPhone. Expect another surge of iPhone customers this summer. Ending exclusive arrangement with AT&T should help spread the load.

5. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Because they have to!

6. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Is Verizon that much better than AT&T? I have not heard anyone talk about that. Would waiting to go to Verizon be a good move? Or just the same stuff on a different day?

7. slider5634 macrumors newbie

NO!!! Period. All of the carriers suck in their own way. AT&T and for that matter Sprint doesn't have the ability to provide me with native coverage where I live. T-Mobile provided coverage, but also terrible problems with dropped calls in perfect signal areas. Verizon is constantly screwing up my bill and I'm sure probably not providing good coverage for others depending on where you live. U.S. Cellular has probably the best coverage area, but the phones are crap and there's something seriously wrong with their SMS services.

The point? You CAN'T win this battle. Someone needs to come and give this industry a good flogging. There are a number of practices that are just plain anti-consumer and anti-competitive. So, until the day when someone forces an overhaul, do your research on carriers in your area and make sure to pick the least of the evils.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People have been waiting "years" for the iPhone to come over to verizon.

My question is, you seem to be complaining about AT&T's service/coverage with no first hand experience. That seems a little unfair and short sited.

Look at the coverage map for AT&T and see if it suits your needs. For me, I've had very good service with AT&T. In fact I see no difference between AT&T and Verizon, as before I got my iPhone I was on verizon.

My point is, you are castigating AT&T without knowing whether they can suit your needs.

9. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Verizon has already said they are going to move to this model. And lowering the price for data saves customers money, it doesn't decrease their usage. Wait for the iPhone on Verizon, but you'll probably be waiting a long time and it might not be any better. The network will probably be worse.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Every carrier will be moving closer to a pay as you model for data bandwidth, not just wireless carriers, but also broadband carriers.

The days of unlimited bandwidth will be drawing to a close in the course of time.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The OP’s first sentence sums it up: he doesn’t have an iPhone and he’s not an AT&T customer, so he can’t comment on either.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's my point ;)

How can someone criticize AT&T when he's not a customer (for the iPhone).

13. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Never been on AT&T? Talking bad about them with no experience other than 'opinions'?

Your argument is invalid.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

3 years too late if you ask me. Look at their profits vs their investment in the network the first 3 years of the iPhone.

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Who the heck is US Cellular? And if I don't know who they are, what on earth makes you think they have superior coverage?

I'm guessing they are some regional carrier. Either way, not one of the big 4 (yeah, I'm being nice to T-Mob) and therefore by default do not have superior coverage....unless your talking only about your hometown.

17. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

The only reports you ever hear about AT&T's service is from people with bad service in specific areas. The media is good at spreading negative publicity with that sort of material. They never mention that many areas have excellent service. Find out about the QoS in your area before assuming that AT&T is just terrible everywhere.

18. lasuther macrumors 6502a

http://www.pcworld.com/article/1895...rlds_second_3g_wireless_performance_test.html

AT&T had a 72% increase in speed since last year. Verizon had a 8% drecrease, mainly because of the Droid launch. Verizon isn't prepared for a mass increase in volume from the iPhone and you'll see a big hit to their network. It is going to be real funny if people leave AT&T after they have gotten their act together and jump to Verizon to spend the next couple of years with a crippled network until Verizon can get its network up to speed.

19. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Invalid opinion from someone who has no experience.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Since when does "immediate future" = "Very long time"? Most people will deem that to mean a few months to a year at most. Could be longer, sure. But stop exagerating since you don't know.

21. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I Realize that people want the iPhone on verizon but that doesn't give us a license to throw common sense and logic out with the baby and the bathwater.

In theory you could sit here and say that "Immediate Future" means no later than when the wolf howls on flag day at 5PM.

But that would be stupid. Verizon is not getting the iphone anytime this year. That's what that pretty much means. Now if you want wait on it like a drug addict waiting on his dealer then feel free to. But it's not logical to do so without proof.

Trust but Verify

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You need to put that into perspective, it's not hard to come up big when your in the gutter.

Buy like I said, they waited too long. Why didn't they start that investment earlier?

And I guarantee Verizon will handle it just fine. They've handled the big data users for much longer than AT&T has.

23. slider5634 macrumors newbie

Hmmm.... Interesting. I had assumed they were a national carrier because of the name. They've been around as long as I can remember. If the coverage area doesn't belong to them, I wonder who's towers they're using. Here's a link to their coverage map if you're interested.

http://www.uscellular.com/uscellular/common/common.jsp?path=/coverage-map/voice-and-data-maps.html

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'll agree it's most likely not this year; been saying that all along. But not this year and not immediate future do not equal a "very long time" to me.

25. Fast duck macrumors member

ATT is spending the most money on spectrum
    purchases and tower construction than any
    other American carrier.

I work on cell towers for a contractor and sll i see is att takeing there equipment off towers. So they may be spending the most but most of it is to take down there sites.