AT&T and transferring upgrades

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NYRGirardi5, Sep 10, 2013.

1. NYRGirardi5 macrumors member

I have 2 phones on my plan. The one due for an upgrade isn't mine. But my plan is to take that upgrade for my phone and give my iphone 5 to my mom (the 2nd line) and sell her 4s. Once I get the phone do I have to call AT&T or can I simply just swap out sim cards?

2. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

I am in the same boat. I called At&t and they encouraged me to purchase on eligible and go to At&t store and they would handle the process. Not ideal, but they claim there is no other way to do it.

3. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

all you need to do is get two new sim cards for both of the phones and call ATT and have them activate the new phone on your line with the new sim card for that phone, and then repeat the process for the old phone.

4. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

For the old phone you would have to go to a store to get a new SIM card, correct?

5. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

for the old one and the new one.

6. Z.childers macrumors member

I am doing the same. I have a 5, and my mom has a 4. I will be taking her upgrade and giving her the 5. Since the the 5s has a nano SIM and your 5 is also a nano SIM, all you will need to do is switch them out once activated. I confirmed this by chatting with an Apple rep today through the "chat" method on their website.

I even asked if it would be ideal to just take the SIM out immediately upon opening, switch it to the 5, and activate the 5 as if it were new since you are technically just activating the SIM card/number. The rep said this is probably what they would do at the retail store.