AT&T Best way to upgrade to iPhone 6 from iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chadam, Dec 7, 2014.

1. chadam macrumors member

chadam

Currently my contract is up with AT&T and I can upgrade to the iPhone 6 at this point. Fortunately I have a grandfathered plan with Unlimited Talk/Text/Data for $101 after 28% employee discount through Premier and do not intend on switching. I understand that my upgrade fee will be waived due to premier status. My question is what retailer can I walk in with my iPhone 5 and trade in and get at least $200 and walk out the door with a Space Grey 16gb iPhone 6 for $0? Is either Bestbuy, Target,Apple Walmart or ATT offering anything like this? Looks like ATT only gives you $100 or so in the form of a gift card? Bremer to just get store credit on the spot to make magic happen?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Best Buy will give you $125 for a 16GB 5 in good condition. They had some promos running for Black Friday. I am unaware of anyone else running any promos better than that right now.

3. duaneu macrumors 6502a

You could probably get more by just selling the old phone separately rather than trading it in for the new one. You'd certainly have a lot more choices on where to sell it.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Honestly, OP:

1) Buy the iPhone 6 factory unlocked from T-Mobile, Apple.com, or wherever else you can get it (Full price)

2) Sell the iPhone 5 on eBay, Craigslist or whatever.

That's what I would do. I know that doesn't exactly answer your question. Sorry.

5. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

If you don't mind getting the value as an Apple Store gift card they'll probably give you more than anywhere else, barring eBay or Craigslist.

I got a $180 Apple Store gift card for my Sprint 16GB White iPhone 5.

6. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if you buy a t-mobile iPhone 6 from t-mobile it will be locked to t-mobile
    if you buy a t-mobile iPhone 6 from apple it is unlocked

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/10/04/t-mobile-iphone-6-unlocked/

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

8. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i liked swappa. it only cost me $15 to put up my iPhone for sale. it was $10 for the listing and $5 for "premier". swappa checks ESNs of all phones for sale so you know you won't get a blacklisted one. it was the very first time i ever used swappa. and guess what. the pay pal funds were available as soon as the item was sold. it wasn't like eBay where i had to wait 3 days after the box was received to get my money

i checked 3 carriers for their EDGE type payment plan vs their 2 year contract model. and uniformly across the board , it looked like i had to subscribe to 10-15 gigs in order to save money with EDGE, and if i subbed to less then 10 gigs, edge was more expensive then 2 year contracts

9. rigormortis, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

here is a basic rule of thumb for edge payments vs 2 year contract on AT&T

2 year contract
    ==
    $40 per line with $450 discount on phone
    $960 for each line for 2 years

edge
    $15 per line with no discount on phone 10 gigs
    or
    $25 per line with no discount on phone < 10 gigs

$360 to $600 , as much as $750 because edge is 30 months now

so you are paying $600 more for your 2 year contract to get your $450 discount.

this is probably off topic, but it just a pet peeve of mine because people want the phone cuz its free, but the phone is not free at all

these figures do not include the DATA PLAN ($50 to $100 a month or more) or the activation fees.

----------

another thing i would like to troll about is sprint's iPhone for life plan

if you cancel your agreement you MUST PAY ALL THE PAYMENTS FOR THE PHONE. plus they want you to choose the purchase option or return the phone. even if you return the phone you have to pay the payments on it.
    so its like a $480 ETF

if you decide to cancel sprint's iPhone 4 life program and you decide to pay for your phone, according to sprint, they won't even unlock it for you. so your stuck with it being locked to sprint

its an iPhone 6. its not running special iPhone sprint firmware. so its a possibility that i am wrong and the sprint phone is unlockable, but i seriously doubt it.

a lot of the iPhone news sites misrepresent this sprint deal and make it sound like its just a rental. i wish they would stop using the word "rental"

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Two issues with your statement (bolded). His current monthly rate will not change because it is an old plan. There is no "access fee" on older plans.

The only way your calculation works is with the mobile share plan (which he doesn't have). He will also not have to pay an activation fee because he is a premier account, but even if he did, it wouldn't add up to costing more.

ATT Next is not a good option for the OP. He will pay much more with Nexat than he would if he just got a contracted phone.

Effectively the OP will be paying $200 for the new device. What he wants to do is find someone who will give him $200 trade in credit for his old device (iPhone 5). A few stores were doing this over the black friday weekend, but I don't believe anyone is doing that currently.

----------

He would be paying $650 versus $200 (or what he wants, $0) for the phone. This doesn't seem like a viable option based on his post.

11. chadam thread starter macrumors member

chadam

Touch Down, New iPhone 6 and $71 cash in my pocket

I took advantage of the $129 Walmart deal this past Saturday night. I used my upgrade, bought a Space Grey iPhone 6 16gb for At&t. Went over the border into NH, no tax there. Love it. Posted on Craigslist and just sold my iPhone 5 for $200 cash. Net $71 profit.