At&t Business discount on family plan question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrXiro, Nov 7, 2011.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I am sorry if this is in the wrong section. It seems right but I may have missed a phone carrier section.

I am about to join my parent's family plan with an iPhone 4S but I also get a business discount from my job. Does anyone happen to know if my discount can be applied to my mom's account or will my name have to be the account holder?

If the latter is the case it looks like there is some sort of 18 dollar per line charge to switch all the lines over to me. We have 5 people in my family.

Seems like a lot of BS to get 20% off... and I prefer to have my parents pay and then pay them back. Also tax in their state is much lower than California.

Has anyone been able to apply a business discount to a family account plan without being the primary account holder?

2. macinnv macrumors regular

You may have to check the policies of the discount but with mine I had to provide my work email and the contract had to be in my name. I don't know if all discount plans are like this though. If you are over 18, it may make sense to move the family plan in your name to get the discount.

(Be warned, if you move a contract into someone else's name you lose unlimited data.)

3. Chargerdan macrumors member

I have the discount on my family plan. But the discount only applies to the primary number on the account. All other lines under the primary don't get the discount.

Since your parents will receive your discount you may want to see if they will charge an equal amount between all of the users.

4. MrXiro, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Hmm how about data? If the main line has a data plan does the discount apply onto that? I heard it only goes onto the minutes...

They won't be equal... They already charge my sister nearly $80 of the 200 dollar bill. I think they only pay 40 for 2 of the lines and my two sisters cover the rest. I was gonna jump on and give them 50 even though mine will cost 39 a month after taxes.

Applying my discount doesn't seem to be worth the effort... :(

5. G-hog macrumors member

Our family plan (4 phones) is under my name, but the discount we use to get (15%) was from my wife's employer. It was applied to the main number (my number) as far as minutes/service go, but it also applied to any data plan $25 and up. Our new discount plan is from my part time job, is pretty much the same, but the % is higher (22%).

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

It varies depending on the FAN account. The one I'm on is 23% discount on main line, and also applies to every data plan $25 and up on my family account. Some FAN discounts don't apply to data.

7. pokerplayer73 macrumors 6502

pokerplayer73

I get discount on main line(59.99), two unlimited data plans( 2 X 30)
    No discount on additional line (9.99) or Text Plan( 5.00 for 200 texts)

I believe you get discount for any component $25 or up.

8. hwnstyle21 macrumors newbie

My FAN discount on my family plan is 25% off the main line ($60 = $45) and off the Unlimited data plans ($30 = $22.5).It doesn't cover any of the Unlimited Family Text plan ($30). Overall saving of $30 isn't too bad.

*Like they said above the account would have to be under your name.

9. nmork macrumors regular

In order to apply my FAN discount to my family plan, they just had to switch my line into my name. The entirety of the plan is still under my mom's name, and the bill is still sent to her.

Best to talk to AT&T about it :)

10. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

in our family plan, we get 25% off the main line. all the other family plan lines are still 10 bucks.

all our data plans (excluding text) on each line are also 25% off.

11. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

You should be able to add the discount with little to no hassle. Call AT&T and tell them where you work and you qualify. I know with Sprint family members qualify.

12. Pepsidude macrumors newbie

My fan account gives me 25% off my main line only and you do have to be the primary account holder to get the discount. The $18 is a connection fee that some fan accounts will waive. Depends on the way your account is set up. Through my work we don't get charged those fees and if AT&T charges it I just call them and they do a credit right away.

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

We have the FAN discount on our family plan. The number was from my wife's employer and all is well.

14. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Is your wife the primary account holder?

15. MallCop macrumors 6502

You have to be the primary account holder to get the business discount.