at&t buys Wayport and more WiFi locations for iPhone user

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by autumn, Nov 6, 2008.

1. autumn macrumors member

NEW YORK - AT&T Inc. said Thursday it will buy Wayport Inc., a privately held company that operates more than 10,000 Wi-Fi hot spots in McDonald's restaurants and hotels, for $275 million in cash.

AT&T Internet customers and iPhone owners already have free access to Wayport's McDonald's locations, but the deal will add free access at 2,800 locations, including Wyndham, Marriott Vacation Club and Four Seasons hotels.

AT&T has its own Wi-Fi hotspots as well. The deal will take its total to 20,000 in the U.S. and 80,000 globally, counting providers with which it has roaming agreements.

Dallas-based AT&T also said the acquisition will boost its ability to help businesses set up and manage Wi-Fi networks.

The companies expect the deal to close before the end of the year.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20081106/ap_on_hi_te/at_t_wayport

:D

2. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I'm glad to see more free WiFi at hotels. They charge ridiculous rates usually...like $12.99 a day or so.

3. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I'm glad to see AT&T is continuing to expand their network, even if it is the WiFi network.

Hopefully they'll also continue to expand the areas that they cover with 3G.

4. daisuke07 macrumors regular

they should just skip 3g and 4g and just put wifi all over the country

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

It's great news! Wayport is ALL OVER the place.

I used it yesterday at McDonalds. The new AT&T system works great on the iPhone.

Thanks to AT&T!

Now convince Apple to add needed features to the phone ;)