AT&T CEO thinks you can buy an unlocked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jent, Jun 3, 2011.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/02/live-from-d9-atandt-ceo-ralph-de-la-vega-takes-the-stage/

At the D9 conference AT&T CEO Ralph De La Vega said that users could buy a contract-free full-price iPhone if they wanted it unlocked. This has never been the case and I'm quite surprised he even thought this, as AT&T reps are told to say that it's physically impossible. Does anyone think this could lead to a change in policy and in Apple/AT&T selling full-price unlocked GSM iPhones in the future?

2. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

with at&t being the only major GSM carrier in america, I doubt it. If t-mobile started to offering a full price unlocked iPhone that may force at&t to copy. But, now that t-mobile might be consumed by at&t who knows... i hope the deal won't go through.

i also like the part about shared data across multiple devices. that would be great!

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

He has done a bad job doing anything that resembles improving the network in any find of reasonable amount of time.... not hard to believe he has no idea what he is talking about.