AT&T change in upgrade policy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tdhurst, Sep 14, 2012.

1. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I'm an original iPhone owner.

I've upgraded, on launch day, to the 3GS, the 4 and the 4S and have always qualified for subsidized pricing.

But now (it's not just me, three friends have said the same) I'm no longer eligible to upgrade at the subsidized price.

Anyone else having this issue?

I don't think I'm entitled to anything here, just sad that there seems to be a policy change here.

Anyone else have this issue?

For what it's worth, I'm on a family plan with grandfathered unlimited data. I haven't been to an AT&T store yet to ask about it.

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Yes. I upgraded from 4 to 4S last year. There are 4 phones on my account, three of which are iPhones. This year I was unable to upgrade from 4S to 5. I was going to do an upgrade swap--my son's phone is eligible in late October. AT&T won't even bump me up by six weeks. They said we could try again on 9/21 for a 1 month eligibility bump.

I'm not particularly bummed either, but it does seem to be a tighter policy.

3. dotme macrumors 6502a

You should be eligible for a partial subsidy. You should recheck. Most AT&T users who bought the 4S on or around launch last year qualify for a $200 discount on the 5, assuming bills paid on time etc.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah, the 24 month contract club.

6. xerenthar macrumors 6502

i enjoy your self-righteous bloviating as much as the next person does, but you don't think it's silly that it's $71 cheaper to terminate the contract early and switch to verizon than it is to upgrade with AT&T?

7. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

And the "Start ANOTHER thread bitching about upgrading" club.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Just as silly as leaving at&t for a carrier that makes you wait the entire 20 months before they'll let you upgrade.

9. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Why would someone with perfectly good service on AT&T switch to Verizon and lose unlimited data and the ability to use voice and data simultaneously for a measly $71? :rolleyes:

10. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Mine was changed a few weeks ago to full upgrade, do not know why but a friend called and they said that AT&T does for some and does not for others at their discretion. Probably depending on your account and if you paid on time, etc.

11. maverikv macrumors member

Cuz who has perfeclty good service on AT&T? Not anyone in New York City that's for sure.

12. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Same here. I got 4 lines eligible late next month, but I didn't call because I figured they wouldn't move the dates.

13. xerenthar macrumors 6502

is the economically efficient solution, then, to switch carriers every year?

service on ATT in manhattan is spottyish at times. apparently the LTE is faster via ATT only having iPads vs. the droids on VZW... but we'll see.

also, the voice/data simultaneously thing sounds cool, but i use voice so infrequently as it is, it's not a huge feature to me. (i also wish i could sell my over 5,000 rollover minutes.)

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Another? Where's the first thread that I started ... link?
    I absolutely think it's ridiculous. I didn't imply or state otherwise. ;)

15. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

I get a full 5 bars with AT&T on my iPhone 4S anywhere in Manhattan.

16. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Same here, AT&T charged me the full upgrade price. If I didn't have the grandfathered in unlimited plan it would have been much cheaper to buy out my contract and switch providers.

Oh well.

17. xerenthar macrumors 6502

i'm in my office with 3 right now :mad: and it's really goddamn slow.

18. maverikv macrumors member

The bars are a lie

Calls drop constantly. In midtown. In times square. On the BQE. Drop drop drop.

THe early upgrade sweetened the pot enough for AT&T for me to stay. Now that they made is cheaper to leave, why deal with the grief?

19. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm 2 weeks away from being eligible for an early upgrade, but ATT said nope. So I'm going to do an upgrade swap.

20. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Getting the same treatment with verizon. They claim that apple is not letting them move the upgrade dates forward.

21. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    You and I have the exact same ownership pattern. I even skipped the 3G also.

But AT&T allowed me to upgrade to the 5 at the full subsidy. I'm beginning to wonder if that's a fluke or something related to my bill.

22. LoloBond macrumors 6502

I think what they mean when the towers are over crowded.. drop calls, slow internet etc etc I do also have full bars everywhere I never experienced a problem.

23. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Yes. Millions of people.

There have been new message threads about this almost every hour for the past few days. You signed for 2 years. They paid Apple for part of your phone.

Geez.

24. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

As long as I don't have to pay full retail price on a phone, I'm happy.
    So many of us end up selling our phones when new ones are introduced, and sometimes for more than we originally paid for it.

25. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I got the 3GS on day one & the 4S on day one. checked my status for the 5 & got this:

[This line] is eligible for an upgrade at full retail price.
    Discount Eligibility Date: 05-08-2013

I was not planning to upgrade right away anyway, but as a point of reference, they are making me wait 19 months from the day I placed my preorder before I can upgrade at the subsidized price.