AT&T charges just to select and browse the "App Center"?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by applefan289, Feb 20, 2012.

1. applefan289, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

applefan289 macrumors 68000

I'm on a family plan, and one family member (who doesn't have an iPhone - just a regular flip phone) was charged $2.00 for 1MB of data usage (it says pay-as-you-go on the bill). The only thing they could think of that they did was:

1.) some advertisement appeared on their phone
    2.) they selected the "app center" for a few seconds.

Does AT&T really charge to view the app center? Do you think the charge was for the pop-up ad?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, it's "traffic", so I would assume so.

Can you block pop-ups on the flip-phone? :confused:

3. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Not sure. It's the AT&T Z331. I remember on T-Mobile being able to freely roam their "T-Zones" center without any charge...

Edit: I just read a review of the Z331 on the AT&T site, and one guy says the center button connects you to the internet...sort of sneaky, but I guess that's what happened.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They charge you if you use the internet, and viewing the app center uses the internet.

If you like you can call them and have them disable internet on the phone.

5. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Great suggestion - thanks! All the user wants to do is make calls and receive texts. If Internet is disabled on their line, they won't "accidentally" get charged for pay-as-you-go.

6. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

FYI if the internet is blocked they won't be able to receive MMS messages IE pictures because that requires internet. Internet used downloading/sending is covered by an applicable text package though. So it's either all internet and your MMS or blocked and no MMS but still text messages covered by your package if applicable.

7. applefan289, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

We are currently on an unlimited texting plan for the family which is $30/month. I remember when we were with T-Mobile, receiving a picture text message was not an extra charge, and neither was browsing T-Zones. I assume if I leave internet enabled, I will be charged extra if I receive a picture message (MMS)...we definitely don't want to be charged extra.

Edit: the plan I'm on does seem to cover pictures, etc. The first paragraph of this link mentions it. So, if I'm on this plan, I assume I can block internet access to the lines but still be granted MMS/texts and calls.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/messaging-plans.jsp?source=ECNM0000000M2A00U&fbid=PVbPre6YYhB

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You are assuming incorrect. Once they place the internet block on the phone it will no longer be able to send or receive MMS. It doesn't matter what the unlimited messaging says, I have the same $30 add on and when we blocked data from a phone that phone could no longer utilize MMS. Standard TXT and calls are fine, just no MMS with data blocked.

If you don't block internet that user can send/receive MMS, but they can also accidentally run up data charges

If you block internet the user will not be able to send/receive MMS, but they will not accidentally run up data charges since data is blocked.

9. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay - got it now. Thanks.