AT&T? Check your receipt!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wepiii, Sep 21, 2013.

1. wepiii macrumors 6502

So I was going to put my receipt for my iPhone 5S into the box (something I always do so I know where it is) and I happened to look at my receipt for the first time. To my surprise, I noticed several AT&T services on the receipt that I did not ask for. I actually told the sales rep on more than one occasion that I did not want to change my plan at all, and they confirmed with certainty that my plan was not being altered, just extended for 2 years.

Here is what was added without my approval:

AT&T FamilyMap
    AT&T Navigator Unlimited Data
    MPP Enhanced Support
    Mobile Insurance Premium

If I had not noticed this on my receipt I would have been unknowingly paying for this over the next 24 months, so if you purchased at an AT&T Store please check your receipts to make sure this wasn't done to you!

I have it sorted now after a 20 minute phone call to customer service, but this is a terribly shady business tactic. The 24 month total would have been $190.74 for services I wouldn't have even known I had or wanted.

Anyway, wanted to share with others so people will be aware of this.

2. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I hate when they do that. I had that happen a couple of years ago when I started a contract with Verizon. I declined every additional garbage addon and it still showed up on my bill. Highly annoying.

3. Spacial macrumors 6502

I always check my receipts at point of purchase before signing on the line. It saves wasted time, since they're motivated to obtain my signature. This is true for any purchase of substance, a glance at the receipt before one places their valuable signature is time well spent.

4. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

I had a similar experience last year at iPhone 5 launch. I asked for the basic insurance, not the 9.99 monthly insurance but was charged anyways. I was also upset because I was told there were no 64GB iPhones so I settled for a 16GB Black/Slate. I left and went home (I live 5 mins away) and noticed my receipt had a ton of stupid services I never authorized. I went back immediately, took about 10 mins to get to the store, and spoke to a manager about the charges. The manager apologized and made the corrections on my plan. Just out of curiosity I asked if they had any 64GB models and the manager confirmed they did. I lost my s***. I explained what happened and they wanted to charge me $35 to switch to the 64GB model. I was furious. I made the switch, paid the penalty and called customer service. They apologized and credited me back the $35 plus all the pro-rated fees for the stupid services. Next year for the iPhone 6 I'm going to an Apple Store. Period.

5. Becact macrumors member

Not saying it's your fault. But next time maybe try reading what you sign your name to? Everyone has an excuse (it was just a little screen I signed, etc), but you can scroll and read the line items. I know because I check to ensure unlimited data was carried over every time.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Good catch.

Do you not look at your monthly bills before paying the though?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't speak for every store, but I've been happy with both the ATT and VZW people, they've all explained and offered plans. Ultimately what I decided was what ended up on the contract. I'm on VZW and I've been happy with them, but I didn't hate ATT either and the salesmen were always professional.

OP - sorry to see so much stuff crammed on your contract like that :(

8. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

Sprint does this too! We have a large Verizon account for our business and Thank God a Regular sales rep that always takes care of us there.

But Recently I opened a Sprint Account for my college age daughter,mainly because of the Unlimited data plan.

We opened a couple of lines,one for her and a personal one for me,being the new 5c.And they added mobile insurance on both lines which I declined and advanced voice mail.

I about croaked with the first months bill.I get so tired of cell phone companies with doubling the bill every time a line is added or upgrade done.

It's just shady practice in my book!

9. wepiii thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't get the receipt until after I signed. And the only thing I signed was the little credit card LCD thing saying I was agreeing to the total for the hardware.

----------

Yes, I do personally, but I know many people, especially large family's on family plans probably do not. Also a lot of people probably just have their bill autodrafted. I mean, I would have eventually noticed, and would have gotten it credited after the fact, I just thought posting it might help someone else catch it. Always better to get charges removed earlier than later.

10. BConvery macrumors regular

You may want to call your state's attorney general. I believe this is illegal and a call or letter from that office should put a stop to it.

11. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Every time I upgrade, I always make a call afterwards to ATT to confirm my minute, message, data plans since they're all grandfathered. Last year they removed my unlimited data but got a rep that placed it back immediately. Credited me $25 towards my next bill for the inconvenience.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

If I remember correctly when I got my 3GS a long time ago, that LCD had the agreement and all the things you have to approve & scroll before signing...
    I think the rep might have done so themselves and tried to pull a fast one so he could get his commission. Sneaky sneaky...
    That is why I like to do online ordering... Getting my silver 32 on monday and did it through ATT site. NO issues, no lines, no trouble.

13. wepiii thread starter macrumors 6502

You might be right, she definitely could have just agreed for me. I think that's how I will be ordering from now on.

14. fender57 macrumors 6502

I've never had a problem with AT&T's customer service when there were issues I needed resolved with my phone. When I bought my iPhone 5, I went into an AT&T store to perform a phone switch (my daughter's line was upgrade eligible so I gave her my 4S and took the 5), not only were they helpful, they got me a 18% discount due to a corporate contract AT&T had with my company (all employees were eligible for this upgrade for their personal accounts). I would not have known this had they not brought that up.

15. Becact macrumors member

16. wepiii thread starter macrumors 6502

17. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

As an AT&T sales rep, I'm sorry that this happened to you. I would never add a feature or change something on anyone's account without their consent. There is people that will do something like this no matter where you buy from, and it gives all of us a bad reputation. The sad thing is that it's not even worth adding these silly features to try and maximize earnings.. terrible rep! My advice to you is to respond to the text message survey and give a " 1 " for both questions being asked. It will definitely grab the attention of the store manager.

18. wepiii thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I will do that

19. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

HAHA the slime balls did the same or me! They added mobile insurance premium and mobile protection pack. I saw it when I got home and like yeah you're not getting away with that. It hasn't showed up on my bill yet though, but then again neither have my activation fee (while will also be removed) but yes I wasn't happy when I saw it.

----------

Crap I should of done that. I gave a 10 without even thinking. So wish I could take that back. I was just happy I got the 5s, last one in AT&T I believe also.

20. mellofello macrumors 65816

I have a friend who is a top salesperson for att. I drink with him and his coworkers from time to time. He was griping about what the management is forcing them to do with additional services. He is a extremely motivated sales guy. He went out and cultivated a deal to set up 30 lines for a business. Which is above and beyond for a retail salesman. You would think he got praise, but know he got in trouble because he didn't sell them insurance on the phones.

According to his coworkers they regularly add services, and would rather beg forgiveness then ask permission. Shady business but it isn't their fault. It isn't a sanctioned att practice but from what I understand there is no other way for them to make their bogeys.

I personally would never shop at a att store unless you know someone. It is ironically the most expensive place to buy a phone, and their ethics are terrible.

21. aka777 macrumors 6502a

It's reminiscent of the Southwestern bell Texas run days, the company that now owns the brand AT&T.

22. KPOM macrumors G5

True, but that doesn't absolve unscrupulous salespeople adding services when people tell them just to keep what the have.