Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I went into my local AT&T store. I asked the clerk (20-something guy) if he could recommend a phone for my wife. She has the Verizon enV LGVX9900. It is a candy bar clamshell with full keyboard and large screen.

I told him that I have an iPhone and need to move her to Verizon. I told him she mainly uses it for entering in appointments. She needs a good keyboard and calendar. And she wants to pull down photos from the computer.

He started showing me a Windows-based 8525. I told him no Windows. I have Macs at home. He then shows me the Treo and Blackberry. I said that the keyboards are way too small. I said I'd probably just get her the iPhone. He didn't say one positive thing about the iPhone and then he said "why spend $500 when she only needs a $250 phone?"

As an Apple/iPhone fan, it just seemed strange that he had absoluetly nothing positive to say about this new device.

So, was he just trying to save me money or is AT&T not pushing the iPhone due to Apple's share of the monthly service fees?

</paranoid apple fanboy mode>

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Trying to sell what he had in stock?

Trying to sell what he owns?

Trying to sell what makes the most comission for him?

I"ve spent 10+ hours at the Apple store the last 2 weeks (Apple Camp for the kids) and never had anyone try to sell me one :D

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I think he was actually being honest with you. She doesnt need a 500 dollar phone. The iphone is really not the best "phone" out there, its just the best toy and coolest features.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Like trying to sell the stuff in the store, and what he "knows"

Most salesdorks are trained to sell you what they have in stock, rather than risk losing a sale as you walk out the door.

Since people tend not to come back, or buy from another salesdork when they come back.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
I don't think it's the entire AT&T workforce is trying not to push the iPhone.

It could be that:
-The guy you spoke with hates the iPhone (personal vendetta)
-He makes a larger commission on the sale of 'other' phones
-He was being genuine about the needs of your wife ( very slim chance imo )
-The store you went to was out of iPhone stock
- He was hired after iPhone launch date and lacks training?

I really don't know . I wouldn't really be overly concerned either. I noticed (from my short experiences at AT&T) that most consumers that walk in to buy an iPhone are 10x the 'subject matter experts' on the iPhone then the clerk behind the AT&T desk ;)

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
you people are crazy.

the guy was being honest, just because you're a mac fanboy does not mean the iphone is the greatest phone out there. you could spend half the money and the phone you got would do everything your wife needs, you just WANTED him to recommend an iphone so you could rationalize your purchase.

it is likely their commission is from attachments and plans, not actual phones, so wouldn't he stand to make more off an iphone due to the expensive data plan? not everyone is a shady salesman, believe it or not there are honest people left in this world.

to the poster referring to them as salesdorks, grow up.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Not shocked...not everyone is an Apple fan, in fact there are some anti-Apple fans.....or comission, doesn't think your wife needs the iPhone, thinks other phones met your wife's needs better

creativetechguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
The real reason is that AT&T has to share some of the monthly fees they get for the iPhone service with Apple. If they sell another phone, they don't have to do. So, AT&T actually makes more money by selling you some other phone.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
What did you buy? Were they out of stock?

I went into my local AT&T store. I asked the clerk (20-something guy) if he could recommend a phone for my wife. She has the Verizon enV LGVX9900. It is a candy bar clamshell with full keyboard and large screen.

I told him that I have an iPhone and need to move her to Verizon. I told him she mainly uses it for entering in appointments. She needs a good keyboard and calendar. And she wants to pull down photos from the computer.

He started showing me a Windows-based 8525. I told him no Windows. I have Macs at home. He then shows me the Treo and Blackberry. I said that the keyboards are way too small. I said I'd probably just get her the iPhone. He didn't say one positive thing about the iPhone and then he said "why spend $500 when she only needs a $250 phone?"

As an Apple/iPhone fan, it just seemed strange that he had absoluetly nothing positive to say about this new device.

So, was he just trying to save me money or is AT&T not pushing the iPhone due to Apple's share of the monthly service fees?

</paranoid apple fanboy mode>

I was curous to what you did. Also, did you need a data plan. I think the data plan for the 8525 is $40 and the data plan for the iPhone is $20. Did that have something to do with it?

the guy was being honest, just because you're a mac fanboy does not mean the iphone is the greatest phone out there. you could spend half the money and the phone you got would do everything your wife needs, you just WANTED him to recommend an iphone so you could rationalize your purchase.
Unfortunately, Brian seems to have the closest thing to an honest assessment here. If your wife isn't looking for a high-falootin' phone that plays music, etc, etc... there's NO reason to disregard the mountains of other perfectly good phones they have just because you love the iPhone. The iPhone keyboard's NOT REALLY bigger either except in Safari landscape mode.

If he DID try to recommend the iPhone and squeal with delight about it, it would seem totally unnatural considering what you told him you were trying to accomplish. Pulling down photos, having a keyboard, and scheduling appointments are a far cry from an iPhone.

Keeping it real.

~ CB

vinhmen

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
He didn't say one positive thing about the iPhone and then he said "why spend $500 when she only needs a $250 phone?"

Sounds like you should have thanked him for his honesty instead of getting all fanboy paranoid.

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
And your whole point is?

I wish i met a sales clerks like him. Instead of trying to sell me some ******** phone. Yeah the iphone is great i love it but when does a mac user push feelings aside and realize that APPLE crippled the best phone in the market to a point where we end up trying to justify the price tag with eye candy?

Is the iphone worth its price NO
you can get a blackberry with a full im/email gps for less then what the iphone goes for. But it does not have teh eye candy and thats where the reality distortion field strives.

My blackberry curve is everything the iphone is without teh eye candy.

Twinkie

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Milford, MI
you people are crazy.
it is likely their commission is from attachments and plans, not actual phones, so wouldn't he stand to make more off an iphone due to the expensive data plan? not everyone is a shady salesman, believe it or not there are honest people left in this world.
Actually, AT&T reps would make more on a Treo or 8125.

They'd get their new account commission much sooner on an in-store activation, and they'd get much more money selling the $39.99 PDA Connect plan than the $20 iPhone plan.

Not to mention any spiffs they'd get for unloading some old stock (especially the 8125).

I wouldn't call the salesperson "shady", but he or she does have a vested interest in selling you something other than an iPhone.

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
it is likely their commission is from attachments and plans, not actual phones, so wouldn't he stand to make more off an iphone due to the expensive data plan? .

No, because the iPhones data plan is cheaper than most, if not all, other data plans.. Sure, there are "fanboys", as people like to call them, who seem to think the iPhone has no flaws-but there are just as many people who go out of their way to criticize the iPhone even when they don't have the facts correct..

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
There are plenty of anti-Apple zealots out there who hate Apple even though they've never used an Apple product. Our company AT&T rep went on an anti-iPhone tirade before it was even released.

TheMotif

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2007
It seems as if AT&T doesn't have much iPhone pride. They haven't advertised it, which I can understand, but they're also hyping Blackberry products more than ever right now.

creativetechguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
That's because there's a lot more profit margin on Blackberries and other phones than with the iPhone.

It seems as if AT&T doesn't have much iPhone pride. They haven't advertised it, which I can understand, but they're also hyping Blackberry products more than ever right now.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
why is everyone who doesn't recommend or like the iPhone either an "anti apple zealot" or iPhone hater? Is it impossible for someone to dislike the iPhone just because they don't like it? Do people really have to have a hidden agenda or be out to get Apple? :rolleyes:

Sure, there are "fanboys", as people like to call them, who seem to think the iPhone has no flaws-but there are just as many people who go out of their way to criticize the iPhone even when they don't have the facts correct..

I am willing to bet for every Apple "diehard" or "fanboy" that cannot find fault with the iPhone, and for every individual who cannot resist every opportunity to bash the iPhone there are 5 to 10 rational individuals who can see the iPhone for exactly what it is.

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
Seems to me the most likely reason is they didn't have any in stock. I know the AT&T stores here have been sold out since release. Why talk up a phone that he can't sell you.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
the guy is somewhat correct, entering appointments and photos on the 8525 is EASIER than the iphone.

the 8525 is mostly drag and drop since it has a full file system, the iphone requires itunes, he probably does not know the extend of your wifes knowledge about software and computers but most people know how to drag and drop. the iphone cannot drag and drop anything (even songs).

with removeable storage it would be no diffrent than a camera, you take the SD card out, throw it into a reader, drop all your stuff on the card and throw it back into your phone. then on your phone, open the file browser, tap what you want to open.

can it get easier than that?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
And your whole point is?

I wish i met a sales clerks like him. Instead of trying to sell me some ******** phone. Yeah the iphone is great i love it but when does a mac user push feelings aside and realize that APPLE crippled the best phone in the market to a point where we end up trying to justify the price tag with eye candy?

Is the iphone worth its price NO
you can get a blackberry with a full im/email gps for less then what the iphone goes for. But it does not have teh eye candy and thats where the reality distortion field strives.

My blackberry curve is everything the iphone is without teh eye candy.

Wait, your blackberry has Wi-Fi? And the unlimted data plan is only 20 bucks(with 200 texts)? It has built in 4GB/8GB of storage? Syncs with iTunes? Full touch screen?

Wow RIM stepped it up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.