Carrier AT&T Contract end date 26th and 27th -- SOL for iPhone 6 subsidized at launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Sep 3, 2014.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

what do ya think? Will likely have to wait on a next wave of shipments to get one right?

Is AT&T being nice and bumping upgrade date a few days or a week or so or what have you?

2. Stlcheer macrumors 6502

There are a few other threads with this topic. But several of us on AT&T have seen our status change to being eligible for full upgrade right now. I suggest checking on Apple.com.

3. CKohkah macrumors 6502

Yes, definitely check on Apple.com

Mine was originally set for Sept 22nd and now my upgrade is available now.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I believe if you signed a contract prior to 2013 you are eligible at 20 months to upgrade as long as you're on good terms on your contract (bills paid on time). After 20 months you can upgrade to another device but must wait 24 months if you plan on canceling your service.

2013 and after they changed the terms so that you have to wait the full 24 months to upgrade with another 2 year contract.

And basically anyone can upgrade if you switch to AT&T's Next program

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Cool I'm eligible thanks !

6. dsampley macrumors 6502

dsampley

My upgrade was scheduled for Sept 22nd but I am now showing eligable for an upgrade.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Few hundred maybe?

And a few hundred more asking why folks are dealing with upgrades as they are more expensive than outright purchase or NEXT.

8. CKohkah macrumors 6502

Because not everyone has 800 bucks to drop on an unsubsidized phone or to add 30 bucks to each phone bill each month.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Call AT&T, tell them of your intentions, and ask them to move up your upgrade date. AT&T is ridiculously helpful, at least they have been for me. I have had upgrade dates moved, huge credits added to my account, charges dropped, etc. I have also never paid an upgrade fee (negated with credits, often more than the upgrade fee itself).

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I am really laughing here. These folks (in most cases) are paying in higher monthly service. They just do not realize it.

In some ways, I think the carriers will cost themselves as folks move off the contract plans and lower their monthly bills. Then they realize how much a new phone will cost and WHAM, less upgrades.

11. bniu macrumors 6502a

The carriers don't really give a $!?$&@ about device upgrades. They'd be happy to quit subsidizing those smartphones. Subsidies back in the day for dumb phones were only around $150-$200. Smartphone subsidies are normally $400+ and ATT at least is really looking to discourage subsidized contract price purchases. Carriers lose money on subsidies, carriers make money on service.

It's no secret that subsidies artificially inflate the true price of phones. With these subsidies gone, I think the full price of phones will come down a bit, as they'd no longer be artificially pumped up. The loser would be the device makers, not the carriers.

I like ATT's options. Pay $800 at once for a new phone, it's unlocked on day 1, and keep my low rate. Or, I can pay nothing today, add $30 or so to my monthly bill for the next 24 months, and have my phone unlocked after the balance is paid off, or if I really want to, pay $300 out of pocket now, get a locked phone, pay $25 extra each month for 24 months, and be held hostage by an early termination fee. First two options are virtually the same, one pays the $800 up front, second locks the phone and finances the $800 over two years interest free, and unlocks afterwards.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Most of what you said is spot on. As far as the ETF is concerned though, if you are buying on Next, it effectively acts as an ETF. If you want to cancel the line you have to pay the remainder of what is left on the phone.

I am unsure what would happen if the time to "upgrade" comes and you simply want to terminate the line and wash your hands of the device. I imagine you take the phone in, cancel the line, and you are good to go? Not sure on that.

13. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I like the "sell the phone and pay toward the full priced phone" option for people on AT&T Mobile Share.

I'm on the grandfathered unlimited plan still, but if I switched, that's what I'd do.

You can do that on the old plans. Pay cash one year, use subsidy the next. All while selling/trading old phones to help offset the device cost. Seems logical.

14. bniu macrumors 6502a

Sure, NEXT does effectively act as a termination fee, but your NEXT payment each month goes 100% towards lowering that termination fee.

Whereas on contract, your termination fee goes down by $10 each month, but even with one month left, your termination fee is still around $100, and by then, you've paid over $550 in the form of the higher monthly fees to recoup a subsidy that was only $450 to start with, and you're still held hostage by that termination fee.

As for NEXT, if you want to terminate your line, just pay off the balance of the phone, and then cancel and you're done, phone is yours to keep. On contract, you've got to pay off the ETF and you're done, phone is yours to keep. If you bought full price unlocked, just cancel your line.