AT&T contract free iphone 6 no service outside of the US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ebliss, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Ebliss macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I purchased the new iphone 6 contract free at&t device and it appears not to work in Europe (Poland). I didn't have a nano sim card for my carrier in the US, but I checked and it worked perfectly fine with t-mobile. I restarted the phone, restored it and it still says "no service".

Doos any of you know what to do in this situation? I was told every iphone paid in full will work internationally and I'm clueless at this point. I wanted to request a device unlock via AT&T, but on their website you need to provide data like a social security number, which I obviously do not have, since I'm not American. :(

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you need to request that the phone be unlocked. Unlike Verizon, which comes unlocked, ATT phones are locked by default.

3. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Just to be clear, what SIM do you have in the phone right now?

4. libu macrumors member

libu

What you've said so far doesn't mean its locked ... but you didn't mention where you bought it.

Usually a locked phone will show the message " Unsupported SIM" or something to that effect.

Did you buy it from an Apple store ? By "contract free", I'm assuming you mean "Device Only" if it was from an Apple store. So you paid full-price.

If you bought an AT&T iPhone 6 from Best Buy, Costco, Radioshack, or AT&T, then it will be locked.

5. 617aircav Suspended

He said it worked with T-Mobile, thus it's already unlocked.