AT&T Contract question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Demonofelru, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Demonofelru macrumors member

Just curious if I cancel my preorder will I still have the 2 year contract with AT&T? Will I pay an ETF or will the contract just be canceled automatically?

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Huh?

3. gibbz macrumors 68030

No, you'll be fine.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No ETF.
    The contract starts the minute you activate the phone on your account.
    If you cancell the order then there is no contract.

5. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

The new contract will be rolled back if it has even started before you cancel. I doubt that anyone had received thier CSS emails this early in the process. No you don't have to pay the ETF.

Dave

6. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

The contract wouldn't take effect until you activate the phone and new plan.

If you cancel the order, nothing happens.

7. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Actually the contract starts as one of the last steps before the iPhone is shipped and receiving the CSS email is a very good clue that your iPhone is about to ship.

Dave

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are you sure about that?
    What if you never receive it or takes an extra 3-4 days during shipping. Or if you refuse it and send it back to sender?
    You start a contract without even getting the phone yet?

9. Demonofelru thread starter macrumors member

First of all thanks a lot for all your guys help. That's what I was wondering as well but I doubt it starts when you activate it since then couldn't someone receive the phone and just never activate? The reason I was asking is because I still have to 10/28/2012 on my prepaid SIM so should be able to get it at that time after the low availability wears off. But if it doesn't start until I activate I guess I could just not activate it until the 28th lol.

10. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

even if you activate it you still have 30 days to cancel, return the phone and not pay the ETF

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, I didnt think of that.
    What if someone orders and decides to activate it a month later. :D
    Most likelly then from the day its shipped out or the day it arrives to you and you take possesion.

12. Demonofelru thread starter macrumors member

Good to know thanks a lot!

13. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I preordered yesterday and now my contract date shows 9/14/2012-9/14/2014. I'm sure it's moot if you cancel before you activate the phone but your new contract starts as soon as you agree to the upgrade terms and conditions I think.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, I see.
    Thank you for the info.
    And like you said if you cancel and never receive it then the contract is voided.
    Makes sense.

15. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Yes 100% sure. You will be able to check based on your Customer Service Summary (CSS). It gets generated when the contract is activated. Depending on your AT&T contract preferences, you may get an email telling you it is available or you can check in OLAM and by looking at your "Profile" you will see it as a PDF that you can view/download.

Contract always starts before device ships, carriers always wants to get their money. This is also why it takes a couple of days to reset upgrade eligiblity when you cancel an order or do a return.

For example most of us that ordered an iPhone 4S last Oct. have a contract date of 10/08/11 - 10/08/13.

Dave

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I see.
    Thanks for the info Dave.

17. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

not sure if people read my post but there is a grace period to cancel the new contract and return the phone. no need to worry so much about when the contract takes effect

18. el3ctone macrumors member

Does the same apply to people who do a 2-year extension renewal, meaning if I don't like the iPhone 5 and return it, my contract end date will revert to what it was prior to ordering the new iPhone 5?

19. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If you return it, you are canceling the whole deal. You go back to where you were before you decided to order a phone and go through this whole thing.

20. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

yes. if you return the phone you go back to your previous contract. Be careful if you give up unlimited data though I don't think vzw would make it easy to get that back