AT&T contract up in 2010, any word on if they'll renew?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davedee123, Jul 9, 2009.

1. davedee123 macrumors newbie

Im sure many people have asked this but does anyone have any idea if the iphone service will be carried by other providers come january?

2. Apple Guru macrumors member

3. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

They won't renew they are going to Verizion. This was big news.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

5. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Hahahahaha!!!! The iPhone would cost like $1,000 if that were true! haha

6. ldobson macrumors regular

Verizon does not have a GSM Network, there is little point developing a CDMA phone which will work on one network, they will almost certainly open the iphone market up to GSM providers.

The world has gone GSM! And has been GSM for the past 5+ years in most countries.

7. goodcow macrumors 6502a

That network (Verizon) has 80 million potential customers. Not to mention Sprint which uses CDMA as well.

Even at a 10% sell through to those 80 million customers, that's 8 million phones, or $4,000,000,000 in hardware sales based on $500 per phone (due to subsidy).

8. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I don't know if Apple would like Verizion. They would cripple the heck out of it like they do every other phone.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Or Sprint for that matter. I worked for one of the largest cell phone manufactures for a year and can tell you (at least then) they were a pain in the butt to design phones for because they wanted everything in the software unique and various other changes to devices vs other cell companies which just want general tweaking.

10. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

Why January? if anything July/August ..or that was around the time I heard Jobs renew his contract

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Personally, I hope they offer the next iPhone on every major carrier (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, etc) and unlocked through their Web site.

I keep thinking Apple will hit a wall with iPhone customers at AT&T. However, so far that's not true since AT&T had their best iPhone sales day ever at the 3G S/$99 3G launch event.

12. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I have no problem with att. They always helped me when I called, never an issue with billing, and if there was the reps broke it down into ginger root for me. As long as the iphone stays GSM and unlocked I dont mind. I personally sick with all this exclusive crap. But i still dont think apple should make a CDMA phone... 1. because i like to laugh at you vz users and 2 mostly because its not cost effective and when i go over sees i can just swap with a prepaid sim and not worry about VZ raping me in the butt with roaming fees deeper then the atlantic at horse mans lat.

13. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

apple already said they were very happy with there situation with AT&T, i doubt they will go with anybody else. Maybe they may open up the exclusivity but, AT&T will always have the iPhone. It all depends on LTE rollout though, AT&T knows that they have to have a stronger LTE network then Verizon because if they don't Apple will let both carriers have it.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's just one the reasons that Apple will not be going to Verizon. Nothing is going to happen in 2010 or anytime in the foreseeable future, since Apple will surely renew with AT&T in 2010.

It would actually be nice if Apple could somehow use Verizon, so we might not have to hear all the complaints about AT&T once Verizon had the iPhone.

15. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Didn't Verizon announce several years ago that they were planning on being a GSM network by 2010?

16. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

why does everybody like Verizon so much? there coverage is better in areas, but so is AT&T's. Honestly, though, they ruin perfectly good phones by making them use Vcast and there stupid UI. if they want apple, there going to have to get rid of both. the only phones that get to keep there UI are blackberrys and windows mobile, and they still put there dumb themes on them.

17. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

That's nothing apple said they have sold over 40 million iPhones and iPod touches. Just on June 19 they sold a million iPhones.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I hope you didn't assume that I like Verizon. I meant that we'd start hearing all the compaints about Verizon, since people wouldn't have just AT&T to blame. Right now the Verizon lovers try to make it sound like everything would be great if Verizon had the iPhone.

19. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

Not to mention verizon hates wifi for some unkown reason.