Carrier AT&T contracts ended? Is your account still eligible for a discount?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone5att64, Jan 8, 2016.

1. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

Contracts ended now. Does the app show you eligible for greater discount or eligible for installment plan?

Greater discount:https://twitter.com/iphone5att64/status/685197251795402752

Installment plan:https://twitter.com/iphone5att64/status/685394714753892352

It only said installment plan after I did the early upgrade.

Yesterday, the eligibility message showed my line may be eligible for greater discount.

I called and they said the greater discount is avoiding the upgrade fee and using the Next plan.

That's not what greater discount means.

Are you still eligible for $450 later or did you lose partial/full subsidies by waiting?

2. sketchy macrumors regular

Only shows att next or full price on our account. For me, (got a 6s for xmas)

APPLE iPhone 6s
    2 Year Contract
    Ends Dec 8, 2017

Eligible for an installment upgrade on:
    Jul 09, 2017

3. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I believe only corporations/business accounts have access to 2 year contracts now.

If you're on a FAN provided by your employer for a discount you're going to be using NEXT or full retail pricing. I'm thinking the "greater discount" may mean waived activation.

4. sketchy macrumors regular

we are on a FAN, still have the discount, but not the discounted upgrade

5. powerbook911, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016

powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I do think it's interesting the phone upgrade pages said "eligible for 2 year on..." until very recently. Nothing like promising something and taking it away, right?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well the change to remove contract options was coming, so it's not like this is not in line with that.

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I agree! However, you think they would have taken down the wording that you could upgrade with 2 year on (insert date)... a little sooner.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, whatever date it would have been on would have still been a date when it would have happened and the date prior to which that wording would have been there. Seems to make sense to get rid of it when the changes are in effect. Potentially some legal aspects there as well to not change things related to a change until that change is actually in effect.

9. iphone5att64 thread starter macrumors 6502

That misled people to save upgrades until after the changes. People lost upgrades.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure how a message that a discounted upgrade would be available down the line resulted in a loss given that people didn't have those upgrades yet (since the message said they would only have them at some point in the future).

11. iphone5att64 thread starter macrumors 6502

My message said my line has a partial discount today and may be eligible for a greater discount on a later date.

If I didn't follow the news about two year contracts ending, I would've waited until the later date for the $450 discount instead of using the $200 discount on 3 month old phone.

Since they didn't give notice in the system, I would have lost the partial discount.

Others had messages that they had a full upgrade available today, but was saving it for later. The message didn't say when the upgrade would be take away.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

And my reply was to the "Eligible for a 2 year discount on..." message and comments that someone brought up about it.