AT&T Corporate Store Reps told me to not buy an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BIRDinho, Aug 29, 2010.

1. BIRDinho macrumors regular

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Nothing significant has ever really happened to me in the macworld that has made me want to sign up or post here. But I wanted to share this experience.

Last weekend a friend of mine was considering a switch from Verizon and was interested in the AT&T phones. We walked into the AT&T Corporate store and 4 associates greeted us. My friend immediately asked " which phone should I buy, Android or iPhone?" All 4 associates shouted "Android" simultaneously. Stating certain "facts" about the phone and OS etc.

I just found it odd for this store to not want to push their flagship phone? The associates continued to berate the iPhone, pointing out some flaws. They only wanted to make the sale if it was an Android device.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

They probably get incentives for selling android devices. Who knows.

3. adztaylor macrumors 68000

4. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Don't be surprised if you hear more and more stories like this. As we get closer to the roll out of Windows 7 phones (whatever they are called this week), and the end of the iPhone exclusivity ATT is going to start pimpin' everything but the iPhone.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

iPhone no longer the solo Flagship phone. AT&T finally woke up and got its head out of its butt and saw that there are other Smartphones out there that people really like.

For example I do not want an iPhone never really did but I do like AT&T. At the time when I got my last phone the choices were blackberry, iPhone 3GS or Wmobile. I went with blackberry as I had no interest iPhone. Hell I really wanted an android phone but AT&T did not carry any.
    The Capivate is the first full power Android phone AT&T is carrying.

of the flagship phones AT&T has 3-4 right now. iPhone, BB Torch 9800, Captivate, and if you want Palm Pre but it farther down on its list. It has the big phone from all 4 major OS's.
    AT&T will be taking on a windows phone 7 phone as well at release. AT&T has figured out that people like different OS and need to offer them all.

6. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

You should always listen to ATT Corp. Store Reps and let them decide the phone you pay for and use.

7. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I bet its this one, they can sell you and Android phone, charger, data, text plans, and have you walk out of the door with it all and the rep can get closer to their quota, OR they can tell you all the great things about the iPhone and then say "We don't have any in, and don't know when we will." Likely, you will go home and order it on Apple.com or head to an Apple store, the reps get nothing out of it.

8. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

One or all of those "reps" most likely post on here, one most likely did post #7. :rolleyes:

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lmao:)
    Maybe they just gave u their opinion, it's still up to you to decide.
    It's ok if you don't agree with their recommendation.

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

What kind of android Devices that AT&T offers that is so great enough to skip over Droid X or HTC EVO? I would have asked employees that if I did not want to get an iPhone, why would I stay with AT&T!?

Seriously, if it was not iPhone 4, and I wanted android phone. I would go with Verizon or Sprint. It is not just because AT&T service sucks. They are actually not really bad in Baltimore. But, what kind of Android device that AT&T offers right now that is good enough to compete with iPhone 4?

HTC Aria? Please...
    Motorola Back Flip? Go jump in the lake...
    Samsung Captivate? Yea.. maybe when Samsung and AT&T fixes the GPS problem and stupid AT&T can open the phone up, so we can install apps..

Bottom line, if I wanted Android Device, I would go with Droid X. That's the best Android phone out right now with network that is proven to work well in the country. If Verizon is too expensive, then I would go with Sprint. They are cheaper. If you wanted to have a GSM carrier, then I would go with T-mobile.
    With AT&T capping Data and they don't have good services like in San Francisco and NY. I would not recommend AT&T with Android Device.

11. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I had a different experience. Was in AT&T store to buy a case yesterday. A couple was looking at smart phones. Salesman was showing them the iPhone. Salesman told them he just recently switched from iPhone to a droid. He said the reason was because he wants to see how the droid is so he could help customers. He said after using droid the iPhone is much better than the droid. He was really suggesting iPhone to the couple.

Marc

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

your friends 1st mistake was even asking a ATT rep or anybody for that matter. Instead of doing your own research 1st compare ATT service to Verizon in his area. then doing his own research on which device will fit his own personal use. Maybe a flip phone is all he needs. there are lots of nice smart phones out there competition is getting tougher. Apples strongest area is still there OS but others are catching up. I also think the jailbreak world helps Apple see even though they hate it. BTW you go to ATT wireless store it features the Blackberry Torch! :eek:

13. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Exactly...

Existing AT&T customer walks into AT&T Store to shop for iPhone => "iPhone is great but we don't have any. Can I interest you in a new "green" wall charger?"

Verizon/Sprint/Etc customer walks into AT&T store => "iPhone is horrible so please buy this other phone and sign-up for a new contract so we can meet our quota and/or get our commission.

14. xraytech macrumors 68020

Reminds me of my food service days as a waiter,

"Push the fish, it's about to turn."

15. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Failure #1 -- Going into any phone store looking to buy a phone. The only reason to go to a phone store is to get a SIM card. If you want to buy a phone, do it online, you will always get the best deals, and you don't have to deal with idiot sales reps who just want their kickback from each sale.

Failure #2 -- Actually believing anything that an AT&T sales rep says to you. They might get paid by AT&T, but they usually have less of a clue than their own customers even do. Phone companies are horrible to deal with in general, and you should never spend more time talking to them than you need to.

Failure #3 -- Asking the sales advice of a person who might make money from selling you something is the easiest way to get told a line of BS in order to make them the most money.

16. winterny macrumors 6502

I've been talking to AT&T tech support quite a bit lately because the towers in my neighborhood are very overloaded, and they supplied a 3G Microcell which introduces a different set of problems.

Every time I speak to someone there, they say "I see you have an iPhone 4 on your account - we've been having a lot of problems with those, have you tried any other 3G device?"

AT&T seems to have no problem bashing the iphone as much as they can lately.

17. alent1234 macrumors 603

is that why it's always a special?

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Higher margins.

Androids cost like, $2.37 each.

19. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Those AT&T salesmen are on commission aren't they?

20. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

21. iPunish901 macrumors 6502

iPunish901

i have a friend who just won the new blackberry because she sold the first 3 in her store. they will push you towards a phone for incentives

22. Schweitzer macrumors regular

It's really simple:

If they recommend the iPhone -> everything's ok.
    If they recommend another phone -> hidden agenda.

Welcome to macrumors where there is definitely no hidden agenda! :)

23. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Its not a hidden agenda; its a typical commissioned sales strategy. It is a hidden agenda, but nothing that involves the fanyboyism your post implies. If there was a run on stock of the HTC EVO4 and you walked into a Sprint store, and RIM was offering sales incentives for its new Sprint 4G Blackberry Scorch you would see the same thing: the employee(s) would recommend the product that is going to get them paid.

24. Schweitzer macrumors regular

25. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Went to the local AT&T store to exchange the blackberry torch for the IP4. All the sales people I talked to said they use the iphone.... although they don't get any discounts on it b/c apple is apple. They all seem to like it.