AT&T CTO: ‘We will move heaven and Earth’ to improve our network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twigg, Jul 13, 2010.

1. twigg macrumors member

Oh snap, AT&T is SERIOUS about inproving their network. To be fair AT&T has put a lot into their network, there's just too many users. But if they have a large number of smartphone users it's up to them to make their network reliable. I get good service in some places, others not so much.

There's a lot more to the article but I know how you guys hate a lot of text, even though my post is a lot anyways.

2. kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

There is a fine balance between shareholder, employee and customer satisfaction. AT&T needs to learn this balance.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I was told that AT&T plans to roll out 4G within a year.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I actually believe him.

From what I understand they have money and they're embarrassed by the problems. So logically it must be a 3rd thing besides "too expensive" and "they don't care."

This is as good a reason as any.

5. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

So, 18 months ago, they had no money and the problems were not embarrasing?

AS someone said, there is a balance and so far, they have chosen to put their thumb on the scales and do just enough to keep the network from totally melting down, while many of their customers are just not satisfied.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I can not understand how you got that from what I said.

Just take the opposite of that and you'll have it.

7. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have to be fair, I have had all four US providers, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile.

By far the most valuable to me is AT&T, the best service and best customer care. I am the main account holder on all of our phones and services so I have dealt with them all, trust me AT&T has won me over for good, the rest leave little to nothing to be desired as far as customer care and service.

8. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

OK, we agree then. I just misunderstood what you meant.

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

They come out and say this every few months but don't actually do anything that the end user will notice. Ask any new yorker.

10. reservedegotist macrumors regular

Didn't they just finish rolling out a major upgrade in NY?

11. alent1234 macrumors 603

new yorkers are also the whiniest people i've ever seen

12. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

If AT&T has been watching the news or checking sites like this lately, they probably had the **** scared out of them. Damn right you want to fix your stuff when you watch what happens to a company that pisses off a couple million customers!

On the other hand, I called last friday to inquire about buying a Microcell because service in my area sucks and I can't buy the Microcell yet for whatever reason. The woman I spoke with had no idea, of course, and then told me they had reports of a defective tower in my area, apparently the only one in my area. I asked her when it was reported and she said two years ago. I laughed out loud on the phone and said "So I can cancel my contract, return my phone and find a carrier with coverage?" Well, no, I can't do that either because AT&T has a tower in the area. That it doesn't work correctly doesn't matter.

Heaven and earth? I'll believe it when I see it.

13. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Might be some time till u see the heaven part...

14. caranddriver macrumors regular

15. Mshilling macrumors regular

It's the heaven part that tells me they are not serious.

16. steph280 macrumors member

Same experience here.

You non-believers need to experience other carriers before judging AT&T.

17. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I have, T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon. They all have their pros and cons but that's not the point. The point is that if you have an iPhone and use 3G and you live in the USA, you have AT&T, period. What other carriers do or don't do is immaterial. Further, AT&T is again yapping about how wonderful they're going to be and, having heard it before, I'll believe it when I see it.

FYI, where I live, Sprint and Verizon both rock. I had excellent network speed and never had a dropped call. I haven't used T-Mobile in years and I don't know how well they work where I am now but they were pretty so-so before as far as dropped calls and data speed was abysmal, even for EDGE. AT&T is also pretty bad. The iPhone 4 made it possible for me to hold a call for longer than 5 minutes for the first time in two years. 3G Download speed averages 350 kbps. From what I've read that's what, 1/3 the national average? 1/4? Something like that. It's pretty pathetic. And that they've had this tower marked as faulty for two years is even more pathetic.

What's kind of funny is if I want to see what 3G can really do, I can get in the car and drive out to Amish country where download speeds are really good. Maybe AT&T's strategy is to put all that money into places where people don't have phones to cut back on customer service expenses?

18. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

You've clearly not used AT&T in NYC very much then. I was there for a week and whined quite a bit myself as calls on AT&T's network drop OFTEN in NYC. It doesn't help that just about every foreign visitor (TONS) is probably roaming on AT&T's towers, but I would sure be pissed if I lived there and dropped every call that lasted more than 5-10 minutes as mine did while visiting NYC 6 weeks ago.

19. xmtgx macrumors regular

Yea its hit/miss depending on your location,which provider is best. Around northern NJ, verizon dominates but att's coverage is VERY close. Sprint is pretty bad, t-mobile is utter garbage. In other places I've heard sprint and t-mobile are the best.
    All depends on location.

20. Offshore1 macrumors regular

Offshore1

I agree with you. Same experience.

21. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I'm pretty happy with my AT&T service and i've travelled to boston and other big cities and didn't experience any issues either.

22. ellelittle macrumors member

Where I live ATT works pretty well, Sprint didn't work at all and Verizon works about the same as ATT.

23. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

They have incentive to upgrade if competitors can get the iphone in the coming years. Still, I live in LA and have no complaints.

24. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Whatever. Having millions of tourist a day roaming on the network doesn't make it any better. Where do you live Kansas? :rolleyes: You can't speak about our issues if you don't experience it.

Hopefully the fix comes soon! I love AT&T though and I can't see me switching in the future. The customer service is great and even though the reps know nothing, they handle themselves with class.

25. oldschooldude macrumors regular

I've had Sprint and Verizon, but my best overall experience has been with AT&T.

That being said, AT&T still has a lot of improvement to make to their network for upload speed improvement, at least were I live. I rarely experience dropped-call/lost signal issues.