AT&T data limiting

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mgamma, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Mgamma macrumors newbie

Mgamma

I am pasting a message I received from AT&T about data usage, I have an unlimited data plan from the early days of iPhone plans.

Very disappointing.

ATT Free Msg: Your data usage on your 4G LTE smartphn is near 5GB this month. Exceeding 5GB during this or future billing cycles will result in reduced data speeds, though you will still be able to email & surf the web. Wi-Fi helps you avoid reduced speeds. Visit www.att.com/datainfo or call 866-344-7584 for more info.

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

You know, they don't offer unlimited plans anymore, and AT&T can decide to force people onto a tiered plan if they wanted. Be thankful for what you have.

3. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I have verizon wireless and paid full price for my IP5 and enjoy my unlimited unthrottled >10gbs a month I use.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that's been going on for a long time with unlimited data plans on AT&T.
    Not much you can do. You get 5GB full speed for $30 and after that you still get data but on throttled speeds.

5. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

The only two carriers that offer unlimited data now is Sprint and T-mobile.

T-Mobile has a prepaid plan that advertises true unlimited with no throttling. I use that one on my Nexus 4 and keep WiFi off because T-Mobiles data speeds are faster than my DSL.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yes, but did you have to pay the full unsubsidized price for your iPhone to keep that plan?

I'm jealous, and I have to hold onto something. . .:p

I've got AT&T unlimited.

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

As others have said this throttling has been going on for a long time, so obviously it hasn't affected you too much. The one person on my plan with an iPhone 5 has no trouble going over 10 GB even with the throttling, so it doesn't seem like it must be that bad. They are mostly watching YouTube and downloading music to use that much data.

8. 617aircav Suspended

I swear I'm going to tmobile when I move back to NJ. I also have unlimited data on my verizon suspended account.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've found T-Mobile to be subpar in the Central NJ area. Tried them twice, always quite during the trail period because I just couldn't get good signal.

I'd REALLY love to switch to them, but I just can't. For me reliable coverage trumps the lower price.

10. 617aircav Suspended

I'll be in south jersey. Is just the data bad or data and voice? How slow is it?

11. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Yeah I did and if I didn't it would have cost me more each month. Paying for the 10gig plan is around 180$ a month. The cost of the phone spread over 2 years plus contract is around $130. No brainer.

12. frito1224 macrumors regular

You can get around throttling if you switch to a regular lte device call them and tell them you switched phones and then later switch back to the iphone and Boom your no longer being throttled because it shows a fresh unlimited plan.(but be warned switching devices with a sim card that at&t claims is only for the iphone could give you problems i.e. my sim card got locked to my iphone and would not work in another device afterwards)

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm in Waretown, travel to mercer county and to the Princeton/south Brunswick area. Is bad signal. As in, spotty, poor to no indoor coverage.

I work in Philly which is much better though.

I all the same areas, AT&T is rock solid.