AT&T Data Throttling on 5gb Plan

TatsuTerror

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I'm on AT&T. I'm granfathered into a 5gb data plan, yet I've just received the throttling text. My data is now being throttled. I have only used about 2gb. Is this legal? What's going on? Am I essentially paying $10 extra for EDGE speeds?

Is there anything I can do?

(I know to try and use wifi, etc., but I'm more concerned with the fact that ATT is essentially stealing my money at this point)

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I'm on AT&T. I'm granfathered into a 5gb data plan, yet I've just received the throttling text. My data is now being throttled. I have only used about 2gb. Is this legal? What's going on? Am I essentially paying $10 extra for EDGE speeds?

Is there anything I can do?

(I know to try and use wifi, etc., but I'm more concerned with the fact that ATT is essentially stealing my money at this point)
I would call AT&T! That's just ridiculous!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think he's referring to the old rumor that the original iPhone unlimited plan was still limited to 5GB.
That's just a guess or misonception that the unlimited is limited to 5GB.
He states that he used only 2GB out of his 5GB so I dont know where he got that number from.

There is no 5GB data plan for the iPhone. Never was.
That's what I figured too.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
That's just a guess or misonception that the unlimited is limited to 5GB.
He states that he used only 2GB out of his 5GB so I dont know where he got that number from.

That's what I figured too.
You and I had this discussion a few summers ago. People insisted that there was a 5GB limit and in the iPhone TOS, there never was a mention of it. The 5GB limit was for tethering and people confused this to mean all phones.

It did however say that AT&T could limit people's bandwidth due to heavy usage and this is what they are now doing.

AT&T has their buts covered on this one.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You and I had this discussion a few summers ago. People insisted that there was a 5GB limit and in the iPhone TOS, there never was a mention of it. The 5GB limit was for tethering and people confused this to mean all phones.

It did however say that AT&T could limit people's bandwidth due to heavy usage and this is what they are now doing.

AT&T has their buts covered on this one.
True, I remember.
Maybe that's where he gets the 5GB amount from.