At&t deploy first LTE phones this weekend! exciting!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrXiro, Oct 31, 2011.

1. MrXiro, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

3. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

And another GS2 good way to screw up customer that got it already , the htc device sounds interesting but with ICS announced I wouldn't get any of them

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

My guess is AT&T will allow those who picked up the GSII on launch day (oct 2nd) will be allowed to swap over if they want. Could be wrong though.

5. mountains macrumors regular

Would be nice if they did. Not entirely certain they will, though.

I hope the next iPhone will support LTE. As it is, it's already a little disappointing that this one doesn't.

6. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Don't you have 30 days to return a phone normally? I don't see why it would be an issue for people to bring back their GS2 for the LTE version.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Sealed battery. I don't think apple will be able to do that once they introduce LTE, it's a battery hog.

----------

Yeah, but if the LTE launches on the 6th, your at 34 days.

8. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I would put money on the iPhone 5 having LTE.

9. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

highly doubtful

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

This is so funny (or sad) for "top end Android devices".

The S2 has been out less than 30 days in the USA. Yes, I know the S2 was released 5-6 months ago in other parts of world.

Can you imagine if Apple pulled this stunt by releasing an LTE phone less than 30 days after launching their flagship phone in your country.

Oh well, looks like I will be in the market for a barely used S2 HSPA plus on craigslist. Just checked and so many people are trying to sell their S2 for $500 plus in my city.

Wait 1 month, and I bet I can get the S2 between $350 easy in the USA. Can't get an iPhone 4S one month old for less than $500 in the USA.

Android phones just don't retain their values well because there's always something new coming every couple of month....in this case, less than 30 days.

Rule of thumb if you are thinking of resale value....NEVER buy an Android phone on contract for $199. Wait for sales from Costco or Amazon. Just a couple of weeks ago, all Verizon LTE/regular phones were on sale (for new lines) for 99 cents from October 12-17th. All phones 99 cents except....you guessed it the iphone. The iPhone is never discounted in the USA unless the new model has been announced.

11. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I can't wait for AT&T LTE to be available in NYC. Anyone have any insight as to when that will happen?

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Sometime in 2012, I would imagine. Maybe late 2012. I wouldn't count on it improving your coverage much.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

AT&T should have just waited until November to released the S2 on their network. Now, they have two S2's, smh. Patience, AT&T. Now, people who got their device on the 2nd is going to to want this one. It will be past 30 days.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm genuinely curious as to the answer to this question; I've done some searching and haven't run across anything other than than "faster" and stuff regarding the CDMA->LTE benefits:

What are the real-world benefits of LTE to a phone user on a GSM network who does not tether?

15. nfl46 macrumors 603

Difference between regular S2 and LTE Version

1) LTE.
    2) 4.5 inch screen (vs. 4.3 inch on regular GS2)
    3) 1.5 GHz (vs. 1.2 GHz on regular GS2)

This is what I've noticed so far.

16. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

This is hilarious... The flagship phone is already outdated. Samsung makes so many models of phones, it's no wonder they don't support them. I remember my Galaxy S (1), what a nightmare...

And yeah, Android phones don't retain value. I've sold 3 of them, and wow, it was disappointing... Very disappointing.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

In all fairness, we all know the SII has been out for over a half a year, not sure what they hold up was getting it to the states, but with AT&T rolling out their LTE services they need phones. Delaying it 6 mos doesn't make sense.

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

The current LTE chips are battery hogs. Let's see what next year's crop brings.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Chances are it still be a pretty nasty battery drainer. The battery excuse back during the first iPhone not being 3G and then the 3G iPhone was a BS even back then. It became complete clear BS when the iPhone 3G came out. The chips used in the iPhone 3G still pulled roughly the same amount of power as the 3G chips from the year before hand.
    The real reason the first iPhone did not have 3G is because in that 1 year time span the cost of the 3G chips dropped by a huge amount but power demand was still roughly the same.
    LTE is more than likely to be no different. Reason why the iPhone 4s is not LTE is about cost. The chips cost to much for Apple to make enough of a profit for Apple. Apple wants a huge profit margin.

20. jgalan14, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I think each chip is around 25$ ,I'm pretty sure apple didn't include it cause lte is not even half of the market , an AT&T been the carrier in the us with the most iPhones and no having lte ready didn't help

Actually total cost is 39$

21. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

My debate before was to stay on Sprint and get a gs2 e4g t, or jump to AT&T and pick up the iPhone 4s. But now that there is a gs2 LTE it's a tough debate. Probably will stick with iPhone cause of the data caps on AT&T. Can't really root/jailbreak and tether on 200 mb... But damn... I really want to try out LTE.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

just going to point out that LTE is more wide spread than 3G was at the time the iPhone 3G came out big time on Verizon.

23. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Is Verizon LTE same as AT&Ts? Would AT&T phones be able to "roam" over to Verizon LTE towers?

Not sure a how it works. But one would assume if all three, sprint, Verizon, and AT&T all use LTE they could piggy back off of each other like Verizon and Sprint do with CDMA evdo right now.

24. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

anyone buying a phone as an investment is stupid!

I know all of us know what is best for AT&T but they do have people that likely know more than us!

Is this not the forum that only a month ago KNEW that Apple was getting ready to release the iPhone 5?:p

25. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Can you imagine the whining that would ensue if they put lte in the iPhone? The battery would likely implode... :rolleyes: